Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 1:11 AM
Default Modding the games lighting settings
@iCad
@joandsarah77

I figured it'd be easier to make a thread, so here we go

First off, everything I say/know is based off experiments made with Mootilda back when I wanted to remove nighttime (original thread here). I'm no expert, but reasonably what worked for me should work for you two as well

You want to edit the base game lighting file.
C:/program files/ea games/the sims2/ts data/res/lights -> lighting.txt

If you scroll down in the file, you should find these two sections

You need to replace these sections with the corresponding ones from the lighting mod you choose. For your convenience, I've looked it up for you.

Spookymuffin's (see colors here)

Radiance (see colors here)

Hope that's clear enough. If not, ask me to clarify and I will
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2015 at 1:31 AM
I'm glad you said about the post, I got your tag but it told me there was no post it went to. Bookmarking for future reference, thanks gummilutt! :lovestruc

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#3 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 5:41 AM
Okay, this is great. However, I wanna tweak spookymuffin's lighting mod. I wanna give a more reddish hue to my dusk and make the sky a little brighter blue for my dawn. Would it be nice if someone can give better description of what those parameters are? I mean, what exactly are they affecting? Going back and forth in the game just to see what each those things are affecting is tedious and someone here might already have the answers I'm looking for hehe.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 4:35 PM
I'm afraid I can't help you. I've only ever used pre-existing settings and moved them between mods, I have never tried to alter them. As far as I know most of the knowledge of what the parameters actually do are lost, but there may be someone out there that knows stuff.

If I was in that situation I would look at different lighting mods, and compare them. See what values differ, and try to assess how they differ in the lighting, and then see if by looking at several some kind of pattern can emerge.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Test Subject
#5 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 4:55 PM
Hmm yeah. Been searching for any guide/tutorial for hours, all while testing to see how each change I make will look on my game, gaaah. Might just have to play without dusk and dawn
Gunmod's RLS is wonderful...maybe for taking pictures/videos, but I prefer to play with the default maxis lighting coz it's easier to see everything that way haha. Spooky's mod is a wee bit yellowish for my taste that's why I wanna edit it. Anyway, thanks for responding