Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 2:08 AM
Default Quests that alter the training yard?
Hi, sorry if this has been answered before (I did a search, but found nothing), but I'd like to do a full top-to-bottom makeover of the training yard, because it's currently the least used space in my game. The problem is that I know some quests alter certain locations, at least for the quest duration (like the docks or the forest), and I don't want to bork my game by remodeling an area that shouldn't be remodeled. I haven't played through very many of the quests myself yet.

For those who have played through all the quests, is there a quest that alters the look of the training yard (plops down new items, etc.)? If so, which quest? Would there otherwise be issues if I completely changed the layout and content (except for keeping the one required training dummy)?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 2:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that if a quest needed to modify the training yard, it would delete anything you've added, or just leave it where it is and remodel anyway.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 6:38 AM
No quest remodels the training yard which is why you are allowed to remodel it ;-)

The forest, town well, and docks do have random quest remodels which is exactly why those areas do not allow you to remodel them.

I made my training yard far more functional with tents, outdoor cooking pit, bard stage with seating and several other things to draw in a crowd. I think of it as a park. My knight never uses his annoying tower anymore as the training yard allows him to sleep, eat, and have people to train 24 hours a day whenever convenient.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 7:10 AM
Thanks so much for the replies! I always thought there was some quest-related reason why it was set up so strangely, but I'm glad I can go ahead and do a makeover anyway - time to plop down those tents! :D
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 3:26 PM
I think I had the most fun decorating the training yard over any house. There is plenty of room to do just about anything. One tent is for the 'fair cook in my head' with barrels of food, chicken, etc all arranged around his tent and another tent is the 'fair crafting lady in my head' so that tent has the sewing articles all around her tent. Then there is the royal tent with nice things laying about where the Knight sleeps or the King & Queen if they visit and get so tired they don't want to bother traveling back to the castle.

With multiple games, bard stage, training dummies, outdoor pit, barrels of ale, and plenty of seating abound it has become to 'go to' place when your task is to talk to various people.
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zanarkin
I think I had the most fun decorating the training yard over any house. There is plenty of room to do just about anything. One tent is for the 'fair cook in my head' with barrels of food, chicken, etc all arranged around his tent and another tent is the 'fair crafting lady in my head' so that tent has the sewing articles all around her tent. Then there is the royal tent with nice things laying about where the Knight sleeps or the King & Queen if they visit and get so tired they don't want to bother traveling back to the castle.

With multiple games, bard stage, training dummies, outdoor pit, barrels of ale, and plenty of seating abound it has become to 'go to' place when your task is to talk to various people.

I turn all mine into fun 'town squares' too. I agree, it's probably the most fun to decorate. I was 4 kingdoms in before I realized it could be altered though. I just happened to notice that buy mode was lit up, I did think it was a fluke at that point, very happy it wasn't. I also really enjoy doing the throne room, and the reception hall normally gets a throne and a bard's stage added to it now when I'm decorating it.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th Sep 2011 at 3:43 PM
Is there a way to save it so that that you don't have to remake it every single time you have to start a new kingdom? Decorating is fun, but doing over and over and over and over is not.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Sep 2011 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tilarium
Is there a way to save it so that that you don't have to remake it every single time you have to start a new kingdom? Decorating is fun, but doing over and over and over and over is not.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=438052
Forum Resident
#9 Old 16th Sep 2011 at 7:46 PM
If only there was a mod to replace the kingball course with something actually usefull and not utterly inaccurate to medieval life.

I wouldnt mind associated quests being unavailable through this either.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 16th Sep 2011 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inhuman One
If only there was a mod to replace the kingball course with something actually usefull and not utterly inaccurate to medieval life.

I wouldnt mind associated quests being unavailable through this either.

Why they picked a game of catch the ball over a jousting field is beyond me. Even if you didn't control it and simply watched your character do it as a scripted thing it makes much more sense.

I guess scripting a horse was harder than scripting a game of catch the ball?

Instead of crafting paddles we could be crafting jousting sticks.
Scholar
#11 Old 17th Sep 2011 at 1:58 PM
I always wondered why they didn't have a function to at least save the castles you've decorated since they have the screen that allows you to pick the throne room you want at the start...but if that's there in the game already would it be possible to modify that to get your own castle designs included in that screen?