Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 10:13 AM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 3rd Dec 2018 at 3:31 PM.
Default 2018 Secret Santa: Discussion
Hey.

So after the discussion over in the Sims 2 forum, I went ahead and set up this social group.

This is just a thread to discuss things.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 10:45 AM
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Dec 2018 at 10:52 AM
I'm pretty excited about doing this.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Dec 2018 at 6:43 PM
If anyone's lacking for a SFS account, I'll be glad to share invite codes.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 2:34 AM
Do we upload the gifts there, rather than making an MTS upload for them?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 2:50 AM
I'd say post them on SFS first. The moderators might be busy for the holidays, so having 12 uploads all go up on MTS at the same time might cause a bit of a delay.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 5:02 AM
Well, I can skip the queue. Does it still slow things down? I guess someone still has to look at the upload and make sure I did include all the things I was supposed to.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 9:52 AM
I think using SFS or something similar (I will be making a hidden page on my Weebly) would be necassary so that the gifts can be sent directly to the person they've been made for, by PM, rather than making them publicly available for everyone.

In my experience of other TS2 Secret Santa events it is usually up to the person who receives the gift whether or not they share their gift publicly, and how long they take to do so. Some people like to look at their gift in-game before sharing it with others. Others may share it as soon as they receive it. Some people may choose not to share it at all (though this is very rare, from what I've seen!).

Also, some gifts may not meet the MTS upload criteria, in which case they won't be able to be uploaded on here at all.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#9 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 11:58 AM
I would think since this is a closed group with limited members that pictures with the gifts could be shared right here in the group. The original creator could still decide to share publicly if they choose.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 12:10 PM
That makes sense. Honestly, if I had thought of this idea a bit earlier, things would be a bit less haphazard.

Field Researcher
#11 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 12:22 PM
Can I have a SFS code please?

Also, are there instructions on how to use it?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 3:06 PM Last edited by Bulbizarre : 10th Dec 2018 at 1:57 AM.
I'll PM one. After registering, it's fairly straightforward to upload a file. When you login there's a "drop files here or click to upload to this folder."

Field Researcher
#13 Old 8th Dec 2018 at 4:12 PM
Thank you Bulbi.

To check whether I am doing it right, here;s a share.
https://simfileshare.net/download/841096/

Edited to add: Yes, that seems to be working.

If anyone wants the object, it is a verdigris (blue/green) recolour of the metal cresting fence from M&G.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 2:32 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 14th Dec 2018 at 8:15 AM.
Just to say that my Real Life visitors have left, and I'm now cleaning out my In Box so I can receive PMs again. I know someone's been trying to PM me, and it's almost certainly about Secret Santa. At The time of posting I'm still about 5 messages over my limit (it's the tagged "You have a new mention" ones that fill my Box so fast). I mus6 go to bed now, but I should be able to clear out the rest fairly quickly tomorrow. I have some computer problems too, but I'm quietly confident I should be able to make something for somebody before Christmas Day. (Unless of course the Grim Reaper comes to tell me that my time's up!)

[EDIT] I have now got the email telling me who I am to make a gift for. (It had gone into Spam.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Alchemist
#15 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
If anyone's lacking for a SFS account, I'll be glad to share invite codes.

I think I could use one of those, if you have an extra.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 9:39 PM
@Sunrader : A PM with an Invite code is on its way!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 2:48 AM
When are we supposed to have the gift done by?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
When are we supposed to have the gift done by?

Sometime between the 23rd and 29th of December :-)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 10:08 AM
How is everyone doing? I've managed to make some stuff, and putting the final touches to the main thing.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 2:34 PM
I'm working on it. The mesh is screwing with me. XD
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 2:35 PM
I got mine finished. I kind of messed up the screenshots by accidentally setting the weather to "reign of fire," though.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 8:16 PM
I'll have to be careful that I don't say anything that hints at what I'm making or who it might be for. (Andrew [correctly] says that should be "for whom it might be"!) I've got the bare bones of it done, but I've a lot of detail to add, and I'm a little concerned that it's so weird that its recipient might not like it. And I'll have to find a Sim brave enough to play-test it. I don't think the pay-tester will be in any mortal danger, but might well be in danger of being laughed at,) I honestly don't think that it will be up to MTS upload standard.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 10:47 PM
I swear that next year it'll be more organized. If I'm the one to run it again, I'd probably start the sign-ups sometime in November and do the match-ups right at the beginning of December to give people more than two weeks.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 2:27 AM
I've made it! None of my existing Sims would volunteer to play-test it, so I had to make a new one in CAS. He's doing it now. He's spotted a few minor problems, but by and large it works, So I reckon I am on target to have it all ready for Christmas week.

I see my In-Box is full again, so I'll have to clear out a few more old "You have a new mention[s]".

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#25 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 2:31 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 20th Dec 2018 at 2:49 PM.
Mine is pretty much finished. I want to make a nice screenshot and just see if I have any new ideas for details, but I think it's about ready to go.

Page 1 of 2