Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 11:38 AM
Default How can I learn to draw buttons, zips and pockets?
Hello! I have been making my own clothes for my game for a while now, I'm comfortable with all the technical stuff, like using GIMP, Milkshape, Bodyshop etc., but I keep getting stuck when making re-colours because I basically can't draw.

I have followed lots of tutorials on here, and learned how to do shadows and highlights etc, but I can't get my buttons, zips and pockets to look realistic. Or half decent! lol!

Does anyone know how I can learn? Are there any good tutorials out there?

Or should I try to get someone to do the artistic side of things for me? I know a couple of artists on Deviantart who do commissions, maybe I should try that?

This is also why I haven't uploaded anything yet.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 6:47 PM
I can't draw, either. If I want buttons, pockets, or zippers, I usually take them from existing Maxis clothing. There are lots to choose from!
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 12:39 PM Last edited by Dizzy-noodles : 24th Apr 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Really? Your stuff always looks great!

I've thought about doing that, but I wouldn't know where to start to get it to blend in with my colours etc. I did try to copy the shading last time I was doing pockets, but it didn't look quite right.

How do you do it, if you don't mind me asking? Sorry if it's really obvious.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 6:56 PM
Cut and paste. That's really all there is to it. Sometimes it looks right, sometimes it doesn't... so I find a different pocket/zipper/button and try again.

For example:

The pockets on these shirts were from the back of a pair of kids' pants. The tie at the waist is from the base game halter top. The illusion of ruffles (like the bottom part of the top and the bits at the ankles) was made by taking a ruffle texture from the hem of a Maxis dress and resizing it to fit:
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Apr 2013 at 2:16 PM
Oh thankyou that makes sense. I think I might have to a)be brave and try it and b)practice! I'd love to make something as good as the clothes you make. I think my clothes are half-good but half-lacking.

I'm getting made redundant and have 5 weeks of garden leave coming up, so maybe I will use the time to work on things.

Thankyou for explaining, and the picture is useful too