Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 5:19 PM
Default Frame Rate Limiter
I've read enough to know that I really should use a Frame Rate Limiter with Sims 3, but the file most commonly linked is a .jar file that requires Java. I do not have, nor do I wish to install, Java on my machine. Is there a viable alternative out there? Or could someone share how to write my own batch file to correct the frame rate rendering? I really don't want to burn out the graphics card.

I appreciate any help.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 6:41 PM
Java is highly recommended, not just for FPS limiters.
You could be looking a long time for an alternative.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#3 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 6:49 PM
Some driver software like nVidia Control Center contain an option to limit framerates from within the driver for specified applications. That's what I use for Sims and it appears to work.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 8:59 PM
Thank you both for responding.

tizerist - I have actually found an alternative, but hesitant to try it. I stopped using Java because of its vulnerability issues, so am not ready to go back to it yet.

babele44 - I've looked in the nVidia Control Panel and see "Maximum pre-rendered frames" currently set at "Use the 3D application setting," but with various other options (1, 2, 3, or 4) Can you tell me if this is what you changed and if so, to what setting? I've also read that changing the Vertical sync to On can help. Did you do that?
#5 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 12:04 AM Last edited by babele44 : 25th Sep 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by pureheart
Thank you both for responding.

tizerist - I have actually found an alternative, but hesitant to try it. I stopped using Java because of its vulnerability issues, so am not ready to go back to it yet.

babele44 - I've looked in the nVidia Control Panel and see "Maximum pre-rendered frames" currently set at "Use the 3D application setting," but with various other options (1, 2, 3, or 4) Can you tell me if this is what you changed and if so, to what setting? I've also read that changing the Vertical sync to On can help. Did you do that?
Yes, I created a profile for ts3w.exe and simply set vertical sync to On.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 1:44 AM
Or you could just use the fps limiter from MATY.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 4:20 AM
I've set the V sync to On and will give that a try (already launch from ts3w).

omegastarr - I'll check it out, thanks.
#8 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 9:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pureheart
I've set the V sync to On and will give that a try (already launch from ts3w).

omegastarr - I'll check it out, thanks.
What I meant was to create a profile inside the nVidia Control Panel for ts3w.exe unless you want to force vertical sync for every programme you use.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 3:23 PM
Ahhh, thank you for that clarification!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 25th Sep 2013 at 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Java is highly recommended, not just for FPS limiters.
You could be looking a long time for an alternative.

No.
Test Subject
#11 Old 8th Mar 2014 at 12:16 PM
I know this thread has been inactive for a long time, but I found the first FPS limiter that works on my pc and it has been a revolution. Seriously. I want to share it with the world. Before, playing ts3 was so slow, it was a pain. I hated ts3 on principle.
My fps rose up to 6000 on the launcher!
FPS Limiter 0.2 from there did nothing for me.
Then I tried the Nvidia Inspector from there and Alleluia! My fps never goes over 31. (I set it at 30). Obviously it only works for Nvidia graphic cards. There's a handy video tutorial here . Also, be warned you have to do it every time you turn on your computer as it doesn't stick. But still.