Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 29th Mar 2007 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Marisjuhh
one level and then roof with space under the roof ?

That's exactly what the screenshots show. Please try to explain the exact problem you're having (preferably in full english sentences in ONE post; a screenshot or two might also be helpful).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 14th Apr 2007 at 11:57 PM Last edited by boingo82 : 15th Apr 2007 at 4:52 AM.
This makes for totally cute houses - I wish it didn't limit me to non-patterned wallcoverings outside (siding and bricks are definitely out ) but that's how it is with a lot of these tricks.
I will just pretend the siding is supposed to be wonky like that. It's worth it for the extra space upstairs. :p
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 12:11 AM
You can still use siding with vertical stripes! Like the Maxis "Clapboard" one, or recolours of it.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
#29 Old 15th Apr 2007 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
You can still use siding with vertical stripes! Like the Maxis "Clapboard" one, or recolours of it.

Or I can just imagine that I wanted diagonal stripes in my siding. It doesn't look sooo bad.
Test Subject
#30 Old 19th May 2007 at 7:32 AM
Has anybody had success with this Post Seasons? I'm sure i Followed the Tutorial correctly but i can't seem to affect the walls I get red above the walls where the tutorial has green.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 19th May 2007 at 10:08 AM
The floor leveling stuff hasn't changed with Seasons as far as I'm aware .. are you sure you're spelling the cheat correctly?

Test Subject
#32 Old 21st May 2007 at 7:53 AM
Thanks; I must have been mispelling the cheat, I was more careful and it worked. Thanks a lot.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 4:22 PM
OK so does this only give you extra height in the center? I have a small 1 story house with a loft an they will ony use the center one or two tiles in the highest part. How do I get them to use the space farther toward the angled part of the room?
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 8:47 PM
Em, when I try to build a dormer it says: attached to wall
I hope the picture below helps.
Screenshots
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 8:52 PM
You're using the Maxis made dormers, right? See post #12 -- use your own instead. The maxian ones are completely unnecessary.

Lab Assistant
#36 Old 5th Nov 2007 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
You're using the Maxis made dormers, right? See post #12 -- use your own instead. The maxian ones are completely unnecessary.

They're flipping expensive, too. It's so much cheaper to build your own.

*All my Cotswold Court homes homes are Seasons Compatible*
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 5th Nov 2007 at 7:25 PM
No, I'm not, I swear! I was trying to build a shed dormer when this happened!!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 5th Nov 2007 at 9:05 PM
Ah ok, now I see what you're trying to do. That won't work. You need to accomodate the slant somehow -- either make dormers like in this house: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=137367 or set them in by one tile (then you'd have to remove the short outer wall somewhere, so that light can get in). In either case, you need constrainfloorelevation false for this -- the error you're getting is because you've set it to true.

Lab Assistant
#39 Old 6th Nov 2007 at 8:15 PM
Hey thanks, I'll try it and report back!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 8:36 PM
Plasticbox, your suggestions did not work and the dormer in that house you suggested doesn't 'fit in' with the house I'm building -- if you know what I mean. What else could I be doing wrong?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 8th Nov 2007 at 9:25 PM
So you're using "constrainfloorelevation false" and are *still* getting that error? Are you sure you haven't mistyped it?

Lab Assistant
#42 Old 11th Nov 2007 at 9:04 PM
I swear - would it be anything to do with the EPs I have? I think you mentioned that somewhere in the OP...
Mad Poster
Test Subject
#44 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 5:46 AM
What extra steps are there for houses on a foundation?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 3:39 PM
coldfloral,

not really any extra steps -- you only have to take the extra floor into account in steps 1-4 (you need three stories of foundation instead of two, and make a 10-click hole instead of a 2-click hill).

Test Subject
#46 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 10:19 PM
Thanks so much for your help, plasticbox
Instructor
#47 Old 20th Jul 2008 at 4:53 PM
Oooo thank you Plasticbox! Nice tutorial.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao-tzu

Sorry, I don't take requests.

My building tutorial: Link
Banned
#48 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 5:52 PM
Thanks I'm gonna go try that now!
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 3:57 AM
First of all, thank you soooo much for this! I've nearly killed my poor laptop with your wonderful starters, but could never figure out how you did it!

I'm having a couple of problems, though, and was wondering if you could offer some advice/clarification. First of all, when I go to make my dormers, I've found that a two by two or three by two "box" will not work...I have to segment the box into one by two pieces to get the white grid to show above it. Once I've done that, however, I can remove the extra bits of wall without removing the grid. It's more of an annoyance than a problem, but I know you didn't mention it, so I'm assuming this is unique to me *cough*I'mscrewingsomethingup*cough* and MAY have something to do with the next issue...

...which is this:

Like I said, I've played several of your Newbie Road houses, and I don't remember EVER seeing anything like that roof gap (I'm thinking #172, particularly, with its red roof.) I thought perhaps it was my graphics settings, but I cranked everything up to high and it didn't make a difference. I also tried decreasing the size of the dormer, but the reduction in the gap was minimal at best.

Am I doing something wrong?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 8:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shorea682
when I go to make my dormers, I've found that a two by two or three by two "box" will not work...I have to segment the box into one by two pieces to get the white grid to show above it.

How exactly are you constructing the dormers? This sounds like you build one wall, then the next wall, then the next wall .. try making a box instead, that'll pull up the grid right away (hold down the Shift key when using the wall tool – I think there's a "wall box" tool as well).

Quote: Originally posted by shorea682
I don't remember EVER seeing anything like that roof gap [..] Am I doing something wrong?

You're talking about that .. gap .. what I marked in the screenshot, yes? I'm getting that too. Maxis bork, I guess. Sometimes it goes away when I change the roof angle slightly (even just by 0.5° – but in the base game that's not an option of course), sometimes it's gone when I reload the lot .. I don't really know what causes it. You're not doing anything wrong, in any case =)
Screenshots

Page 2 of 3