Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 4:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Free Time
Default The game loads family "forever", never can play
I have no reason to believe anything is wrong. My game starts up just fine and loads the neighborhood, etc. When I click on ANY family in the game it will load them... forever. I can NEVER play any family. It will just load and load and load and never do anything else. I've re-installed the game and have downloaded the patches for this specific expansion pack and nothing helps. I don't have any custom content or anything.

I can't seem to find anyone else who is experiencing any problems similar to this. Any suggestions at all? Thanks.

"We all live with the objective of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same." - Anne Frank
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2008 at 5:50 PM
When you reinstalled, did you put your backup back in the game? You could have problems in one of the files in your mydocs>eagames>sims 2 folder.

Test with that folder removed to see if the Maxis-made sims' lots load. If they do, you have to go through the rest of this FAQ (which is required before posting):
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...lp:Game_Problem

Please let us know how you get on.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#3 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 11:29 AM
This is so weird, I thought I was the only one with this problem.
So according to you, I think that the point is that I reinstalled my game, right, and then things were fine, and then all of the sudden the problem took place. All of the Game Patches didn't help. I did everything, though, and I have 11.2 GB of Custom Content, but still...? The Maxis-made families can't also be loaded, and backing up the game doesn't do any good either. Any luck happened to you?

Die like you should, but live as you could.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 11:46 AM
honghanh16 - You need to follow the FAQ linked above too, then - each step, in order.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 3:38 PM
Thank you HP, I'm doing it right now.

Test Subject
#6 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 8:08 AM
BuffySlayer doesn't have any custom content or hack at all but still having the same problem as I, so maybe custom content has nothing to do with this at all. When BuffySlayer, you said re-installing, did you re-install the game before or after the problem? Because my problem took place after reinstalling the game for a while, and the FAQs didn't help much.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 10:49 AM
Actually this issue can be caused by a number of different things - one of those is custom content. So yes, it is still very likely that BuffySlayer's custom content is at fault.
Have you got through the FAQ yet? If so, what happened at each step?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st Aug 2008 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Actually this issue can be caused by a number of different things - one of those is custom content. So yes, it is still very likely that BuffySlayer's custom content is at fault.
Have you got through the FAQ yet? If so, what happened at each step?

Each step fails. Nothing helped, so this problem seems to be not very common among S2 players, doesn't it?

shiny!
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Aug 2008 at 3:11 AM
Just because your issue isn't due to custom content that doesn't mean you can suddenly jump to the conclusion that it's not common. The VAST majority of problems can be solved with the FAQ, this one included. The OP still needs to go through the FAQ.
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st Aug 2008 at 5:48 AM Last edited by honghanh16 : 21st Aug 2008 at 6:29 AM.
There is something that you might want to consider: could it possibly be any limitation on the amount of custom content to an individual computer? The Game Help said that there is no physical amount, but what if there is, to an individual computer?

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 21st Aug 2008 at 11:07 AM
There is no physical limit. Computers are logical (though it's not always obvious how so); you don't get random "rules" like that occurring. Of course it is possible that a large amount of custom content adds enough strain to that already involved in running the game that a machine can't cope - and that's why we have the Game Problem FAQ, to ascertain whether or not these kind of things are the cause.

Yes, it is very common.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
There is no physical limit. Computers are logical (though it's not always obvious how so); you don't get random "rules" like that occurring. Of course it is possible that a large amount of custom content adds enough strain to that already involved in running the game that a machine can't cope - and that's why we have the Game Problem FAQ, to ascertain whether or not these kind of things are the cause.

Yes, it is very common.

You're right, I've gone around and I must admit that it is common. The problem of "cannot load family " is bugging a lot of us around here, and I personally after a few tests think that it is the amount of CC may cause the problem, in stead of any broken files.

Stupid people are stupid
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 8:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by honghanh16
You're right, I've gone around and I must admit that it is common. The problem of "cannot load family " is bugging a lot of us around here, and I personally after a few tests think that it is the amount of CC may cause the problem, in stead of any broken files.

So your problem was solved when you removed you CC, as per step 3 in THIS FAQ? That;'s the FAQ you have been send to a couple of times in your own thread.
retired moderator
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 10:19 AM
There is no limit. My old computer was pretty crappy, especially when I had only 512 mb of RAM and integrated graphics, and I had 12 gigs of custom content at one point. It slows down performance and load times (of the game itself and Create a Sim - not so much individual lots) but there is not a limit on Windows besides your patience at long load times.

You may have a conflict between two pieces of custom content - that's one of the most annoying things to track down, but again, that's covered in the FAQs too.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 10:44 PM
Theoretically there is a limit- the game will use virtual memory when physical memory is low, but if the virtual memory size gets too large (either above the maximum limit or else larger than the available disc space) then you could get problems. However, as HP, Angel f and numerous other moderators have pointed out- it is more likely to be the incompatibility between content files than the number of files that causes the issue. honghanh16, are you getting any errors when you load a lot in debug mode? Can you verify that your game functions correctly with no CC?
retired moderator
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 11:01 PM
Considering the systems that I've heard of running as much custom content as I used to have or more with no issues besides long load times, I'm gonna say that hitting any actual physical limit is really not gonna happen in 99.9% of cases. I could actually take a nap while my game loaded (literally - I'd fall asleep in front of the PC while waiting for it to load) back when I had ridiculous amounts of custom content on a low-powered system. I ran into plenty of -other- problems due to my low-powered system, but a limit to custom content was definitely not one of those problems. I think you would sooner meet a limit to your own patience with long initial load times than any actual system limit on loading all that crap. I know I sure as heck did.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 11:23 PM
Well, it would depend upon a lot of things, such as your page file configurations, hard drive space etc.,- I don't even think honghanh16 has posted any system specs, so s/he's going to need to do that too.
Stupid people are stupid
#18 Old 23rd Aug 2008 at 9:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well, it would depend upon a lot of things, such as your page file configurations, hard drive space etc.,- I don't even think honghanh16 has posted any system specs, so s/he's going to need to do that too.

And he should post in his own thread. There's really no need to hijack this thread if he has his own.