Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#151 Old 29th Aug 2008 at 9:53 AM
Default Kate, Felicity and William - Saloon
For every person, there were always limitations, thing that they are not capable of – in that very moment at least, future development not standing in the way – and hence something that was even more highlighted in the company around them. It could be anything, subtle or pronounced, dexterity, wit, courage, anything at all. However, it was such the case, the mind was more prone to draw itself to what was new, to what it did not in itself possess.

Kate herself took a position of ambivalence on that. She had been raised to take such a position, to conform, and yet, the influence of two brothers, who decided they’d rather have another brother than a sister, had ensured otherwise. However, still within that independent nature of hers resided deep rooted need to exercise decorum, fuelled by the belief that equality and chivalry were not mutually exclusive. Thus, though she did not entirely conform to society’s ideals of a woman, she did expect men to carry out cordiality’s expectations of a man – it was not hypocrisy after all, for she still managed to carry herself with ladylike decorum. However, it was a choice rather than enforcement.

With Felicity, Kate had always, and always will as far as she was aware, admire her boldness. It was not the case that Kate herself was rather dainty and delicate of subsistence, for she was rather assured and asserted, but Felicity had about her a sort of flame that paled Kate’s own fire. It’d always been apparent to Kate that Felicity was a woman who, despite being a woman, would not actually be a woman, in the ideal sense, that is. It was so very unlike her to conform to the societies ideals of femininity. And yet, to Kate at least, it was not a sign that Felicity was unsophisticated in any way, for her behaviour was more a reflection of those around her than herself. Again, it was a choice rather than a compulsion.

"I've been good. Business is thriving," Felicity replied as usual as she set down the drink before Kate, astutely noticing why exactly Kate herself remained standing and hence, expressing her displeasure to William. "Oy, Sheriff, offer the lady a seat, ain't you got any manners?"

And there, the very fire that Kate so admired in her friend, the display of it brining a full smile to Kate’s rosy lips as she shot a look of gratitude mixed with amusement to Felicity. However, that did earn the saloon owner a glare from William, who had suddenly found true love at the bottom of a cup – well, better than the bottom of a glass of whisky, Kate supposed.

"Ms. Hilton, there are plenty of seats,” he pointed out rather offhandedly, almost earning himself an unimpressed frown from Kate though all that remained over her features was a neutral look. “There's no need for you to wear out your shoes. Please, go ahead and sit."

How very pompous of him. Her shoes were her own business, if she wanted to wear them out, she would manage, standing or not. Now, it wasn’t such the case that he had not still recognised the point of his folly – for it had been clearly pointed out to him – but he just didn’t care enough. Well, how on Earth did Amelia Dawes put up with this?

However, not pressing the issue further given that he had yielded somewhat, Kate gracefully slid onto the stool and took her place at the bar, slipping Felicity the note to pay for the drink – Kate was not entirely unaware of the expenses she incurred, but over this, there would be no arguments. Money should not come within a friendship.

“Thank you, Sheriff,” she smiled cordially, adding one more comment before turning her attentions to Felicity. “I hope you’re enjoying your tea.”

“It’s good to hear everything’s going well,” she gave a warmer, more endearing smile over her full lips in sight of her friend, in recognition that Felicity would always make things go well for her, adjusting herself to the less uptight conversations that Kate was privileged to with Felicity and yet realising that she could not stay for long at the moment, given that she had to open up the surgery and view appointments. “I’m afraid I can’t stay long now, but we do have to catch up properly soon.”

(((OOC: Not sure if that was coherent at all, but hope that works for you, Furry
Atropa, I didn’t include Gabriel, because as she was, she couldn’t see him because I’d imagine she was mostly turned away from him and focusing on Felicity and William?)))

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#152 Old 31st Aug 2008 at 2:10 PM
Default Mae Starr, Gabriel Callahan & Scarlett O'Reilly - The Saloon
# 4 [Morning, day #1]

Her triumph would in a short period of time take both a nosedive and be redeemed. But for the moment, she enjoyed being close to Gabriel. His manly scent, the feel of him and the way he carried himself. A man, such a man. It was only seconds in passing, but she bled them dry. Until she heard that all too familiar voice beside her. Oh, how she loathed Scarlett in situations like this. That little girl, putting on an act for everyone of just how precious she was, how innocent. Just because she wasn't like the other girls. But in Mae's regard, Scarlett was the one who was bought. Mae could do whatever she wanted, with whom ever, and no one could have a say in the matter. She liked Gabriel, desired him in a way she didn't desire any other man in the town. Of course, she played tricks with him too, it wouldn't be wise to let him see right through her. The town had grown on her, and she wished to remain in it a while longer. If anyone got the upper hand, she would have no choice but to run. And she was tired of running.

"Oh, I wouldn’t worry, Mae", Scarlett said, trying to sound like she was commenting on the weather. "No man’s a stranger to you."

That little rat. Mae could just scratch her eyes out. It was not that she was offended by the remark, but that the young girl couldn't seem to take a hint. Apparently, Mae's fight face had no effect on her. Was Scarlett really oblivious as to where the line was drawn, or did she just trust that Mae would behave among the patrons? Did the silly little girl forget that Mae could always get her when they were all alone, behind the coulisse. Little did she know, that Gabriel would come to the rescue. He looked at Scarlett, over Mae's shoulder, and didn't seem impressed.

"For a saloon girl", he said, without loosing sight of her, "that is how one measures success, is it not?"

Oh, sweet victory. Mae was happy as could be, when she recieved a smirk from Gabriel and a nod in recognition of her invite.

"I'll be around", he said, implying what she herself had been rather blunt about. "Now, if you ladies will excuse me."

Again, he gave Mae a reason to smile, and so she did. A soft, conquering smile that turned quite acid when Gabriel stood from his seat, and Mae had to move, and her gaze included Scarlett as well. Finally, someone had made that gril shut up. If only for a brief moment, her silence was still music to Mae's ears. When Gabriel left them alone, Mae let her hand linger on his arm, caressing it until he was out of reach. That man could only imagine how thankful Mae would be, the next time he visited her.

"Now, that is a man", she declared. "But of course, you wouldn't know, would you?"

After that quite innocent remark, judging from how mad Mae really was, and how insulting Scarlett had been, she moved closer to the girl. Even if her constant interruptions bothered Mae more than what she actually had to say, she wasn't about to let this one pass her by.

"Pull one more stunt like that", she said with a tone of warning, "and the next time I lace your corset, I won't stop until you turn blue and your eyes pop out."
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#153 Old 31st Aug 2008 at 10:41 PM
Default Afternoon

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#154 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 6:58 AM
(((OOC: Hey all! I really hate to do this, honestly I do, and believe me I feel terrible, but I think it's best if I bow out of this one. I've basically RPed myself into a corner with no one to interact with really, so I'm going to say goodbye all

*hopes Atropa doesnt shoot me*)))

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#155 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 7:19 AM
(((ooc: slytherin - Aww, we're sorry to see you go. Do feel free to come back though, if the mood strikes. You could always submit another character. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#156 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 11:26 PM
Default Luke - The Ranch
((OOC:Thats too bad slytherin-girl. Bye :howdy:! I wonder if I've also bitten off a little more than I can chew as I don't seem to be posting as often as I should, lol!))

Luke leaned against the fencing, his jacket draped over it and sweat pouring from his brow. It had been a full morning and he had spent most of it thinking about what Constance had said. He knew that she was right but then again she didn't know the situation from his perspective. He wondered if he would ever be able to reconcile for the argument left unsettled, but for now he knew he had to try and do as Constance had suggested and move on. Too him of course, it wasn't that simple as he still felt he owed it to Emery to see that justice prevailed where the law had failed. He thought about visiting the sheriff, but had decided that this would be a waste of time. He had learned from village hear'say that the Morgan family was somehow responsible, but old womans gossip wasn't all that reliable.

As he looked at his work, he had been putting up fancing for a new paddock, he noticed that he was just about done. Hopefully, by the time he had finished and washed that he would still make it to meet Constance, Emmy and Elizabeth.
Top Secret Researcher
#157 Old 3rd Sep 2008 at 11:06 PM
Default William and Kate and Felicity and Gabriel and a Saloon and a bit of Scarlett, Oy!
Felicity was quick to pick things up. She had to be. Her establishment sometimes held the entire population of the town, and she was expected to know everyone's name and business in her abode. She usually rose to the challenge effortlessly, but in addition to knowing everyone who entered, she had to watch everything else. So when one of the saloon's customers stood, she made a note of it, and when that customer happened to be the mayor's right hand man, she kept watching out of the corner of her eye.

Gabriel nodded in Felcity's general direction, which prompted her to look and see William nodding back. Ah. Things she wasn't supposed to know about. She would find out, she nearly always did, but it did no harm for her to leave the men to their business. And besides which, it was nearly afternoon and she did want to catch up with Kate. What better way than a quick lunch in the back?

Her musing had gone on as Kate reacted to Sheriff Dawes' rather rude response to her prodding. William so far as he was concerned, thought that pragmatism was far better than propriety- he had wanted his tea, he happened to have a faster stride, so far he had seen no reason not to treat the doctor any differently than he'd treat anyone else, so he hadn't. Stupid propriety. She had sat down and paid the barkeep for her juice, making Felicity slide the currency into a pocket on her person.

“Thank you, Sheriff, I hope you’re enjoying your tea.” she said politely and with a cordial smile. Good, apparently there were no hard feelings. William was able to tell when a person was annoyed, but typically only if they wanted him to know it, or he was actively trying to find out. His value on pragmatism was such that if Kate did not want to clearly show that his conduct irked her, he would not seek it out. And he was enjoying his tea, but given that it was an almost certainty that he would be interacting with Gabriel soon, the pretentious nit, he didn't bestir himself to answer.

Kate had turned away anyway to speak to Felicity, so William saw no reason to even contemplate the effort of coming up with something that was both civil and not insipid.

“It’s good to hear everything’s going well, I’m afraid I can’t stay long now, but we do have to catch up properly soon.” Kate said to Felicity smiling warmly as she did. Felicity's eyes flicked momentarily to the mayor's man and then back to her friend. "Nonsense, its getting late in the day and knowing you Kate, m'dear, you haven't had anything for lunch yet. There's some roast in the back, you'll love it, my recipe. If your surgery has kept all morning, it'll keep a bit longer." She cocked her head, knowing that their businesses were a sore point for both of them. Felicity could barely bring herself to leave her saloon to go shopping since she had made it such a perfect home for herself, and Kate was fiercely interested in her own work, which Felicity didn't mind. It was better to have a doctor in the town than to have to trust prairie remedies that were from clearly poisonous plants.

She turned to hop over the swinging gate leading behind the bar, in the process giving Gabriel a nod that he was welcome to sit unbothered. Before Kate could answer Felicity's invitation to dine she called over to Scarlett, "Oy, Scarlett, if anyone needs anything take care of it? I'm going back to have lunch."

She walked all the way to the end of the bar and hoped Kate would follow her. She had picked Scarlett to be in charge for a reason, the girl seemed silly enough that people would talk with her closer than with Felicity. but she was smart enough to pay attention if anything of note was happening. And Felicity certainly knew that last one, though she remained fairly confident that Scarlett didn't know she knew about her other observations. So long as no one got annoyed or hurt, Felicity couldn't care less.

((OOC: Hope thats okay with everyone applicable?))

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#158 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 3:03 AM
Default Constance - The School
The ride to the General store that morning had taken longer than it would have for most people simply because Constance made several stops to visit. By the time she pulled the wagon in front of the store, it was nearing lunchtime. Not wanting to get to the school too late, Constance arranged to leave the wagon there while her order was filled.

After grabbing the picnic basket and blanket from the wagon, Constance and Emmy walked down the road to the school. By the time they got there, students were just starting to file out for recess, and once the flow of children ended, they entered the building.

“’I Miss Yizzie!” Emmy called as she ran up to, and then tried to see over Elizabeth’s desk.

“Hi Lizzie,” Constance said as she greeted her friend with a smile. “We were wondering if you’d like to join us for a picnic.”

----------------
((OOC: Elektra, I hope you don’t mind my bringing Lizzie into this post. If there’s anything you’d like me to change, please let me know.))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#159 Old 4th Sep 2008 at 8:24 PM
Default Gabriel and William - saloon
Stepping away from the two lovely young ladies - one seemingly more reluctant to let him go than the other, as she continued her game of seduction even when it was evident he was about to leave, by sliding her fingertips along his black and surprisingly clean duster coat - Gabriel caught both sheriff Dawes and Felicity each giving a small nod in his direction, the sheriff realizing the meaning of the glance Gabriel had just shot him, and the ever perceptive and sensible Felicity apparently registering the two men's unspoken wish for a little privacy. Though if Dawes really did wish for such privacy, rather than feeling he would much prefer not to have it, making the mistake of thinking Felicity's and the doctor's company would somehow discourage Gabriel from talking to him one way or another, of that Gabriel did have his doubts. Not that it really mattered one way or another, for regardless, he would talk to the sheriff, and didn't really care if the man would mind the interruption or not. When it came to this sort of thing, Gabriel seldom bothered showing unnecessary and time-consuming tact.

Therefore, with Felicity and Kate disappearing off towards the back, Gabriel passed behind the sheriff on what one might have assumed was his way out, but instead of continuing towards the doors, he turned and came to a slow, casual halt right next to William.

"I hear you've yet to organize a party to ride to Fairgrove", he said in a low enough tone to be heard by William only, but didn't bother to give him as much as a single glance.

Just like he didn't waste time on tact, he didn't usually waste time of meaningless cordiality either. Instead, his eyes swept briefly around the saloon, making sure no one was close enough to eavesdrop, and once satisfied, he continued;

"I'm sure you understand our mayor is most anxious to see the matter dealt with as soon as possible, and as it appears you're having trouble finding anyone willing to do it, he suggests you leave it to me and my men."

Now, 'suggest', the both of them were very much aware, was the nice way of putting it. For although he was already the richest man in town, Morgan wasn't one to pass up an opportunity, especially not when it presented itself like this, and while he himself might not have too much of an interest in the loot - of a size and value known only to the sheriff, as no one else knew exactly how much 'One-Eye' Stevens' horse had been carrying - offering his men the chance to slip a few extra bucks into their own pockets was a way of keeping them content and, consequently, loyal. Whatever the amount of money and valuables to leave Morgan's Creek under his auspices, it was almost guaranteed to be slightly less upon arrival in Fairgrove. And no one would be any the wiser.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#160 Old 5th Sep 2008 at 10:19 AM
Default Kate, Mae, Gabriel, Felicity, Scarlett and William (*breathes out*) - Saloon
The rules in Scarlett’s life were always defined by someone else. Whether it was the wardens, the outlaw gang or Felicity, the rules in her life were not set by her. Not that Scarlett minded much, because she was comfortable where she was as she was. The only time she ever broke and lashed out was when she ran away from the orphanage and the results of that, while eventually advantageous, there had been the point where things had been so dangerously desolate.

Since then, however, Scarlett was back to mainly playing someone else’s game and by someone else’s rules. However, not everyone was like that, some people sought to make their own rules or push the limits of the boundaries, her boundaries. However, such was the case with people that sometimes, the games go a little too far for their liking, such as with Gabriel.

After she’d shot back at Mae, Scarlett noticed that Gabriel appreciated her comment as much as Mae did, and for the life of her, Scarlett couldn’t understand why. After all, he knew how things worked with Saloon girls, didn’t he? That was why he was here; to make sure that Scarlett didn’t jump off to the same game. However, surprisingly to Scarlett, it seemed that he took a stance on liking that twist, to accept the illusion that Mae wanted him as a man and not just for business – granted, the two ideas were usually inseparable – for he made a remark for Mae’s defence.

"For a saloon girl", he started, his disapproving gaze taking somewhat of a mellower tone on Scarlett. "That is how one measures success, is it not?"

It was a jab at her without being clear about it for Scarlett had only one actual customer; the Mayor. But then, making that very comment, Gabriel had to remember how busy his work got on some nights here at the Saloon and that the direct reason for it was Scarlett’s refusal to accommodate any potential customers save for Morgan. But, he had a point and he wasn’t best pleased already, so she let it go as he took his leave and moved to the little party up the bar.

That left her alone with Mae, who in the lack of an audience to play her façade with, usually got quite baleful, especially given that Scarlett just handed her a very good reason to actually lay into her.

"Now, that is a man,” she declared as that dreamy smile vanished from her face along with Gabriel. "But of course, you wouldn't know, would you?"

Now, that wasn’t so much an insult to Scarlett than to Morgan, because she had a good reason for why she didn’t have any other customers but him and he didn’t have a good reason for not being man enough as Gabriel, but Scarlett wasn’t going to jump to anyone’s defence because clearly, Mae had more to say on the matter.

"Pull one more stunt like that,” Mae warned, moving ominously closer, pinning Scarlett in place as her silver eyes grew a little wider. "And the next time I lace your corset, I won't stop until you turn blue and your eyes pop out."

And regardless of how implausible that scenario was, Scarlett actually believed that Mae would do it and worse, because Mae Starr was a force to be reckoned with and Scarlett really had to stop playing with fire. It wasn’t advisable if she was looking to keep her position here and most importantly, her wellbeing.

So, she kept that innocent girl look, her eyes still wide and softening such that the silver sunrise hues mellowed, bathing Mae in it’s glistening cascade. An attempt to undo some of the damage was better than nothing, wasn’t it?

“I think that might raise a few questions....,” she gave a small naïve nod, her gaze dropping to the floor for a moment while she decided it was a bad idea to provoke Mae some more.

“Oh, Mae,” she almost sang out in that sweet voice, head tilted a little and lips in the smallest pout to give submission to the other saloon girl. “Don't be mad…. I was just playing.”

Kate had not yet noticed as Gabriel moved to join the get together further up the bar. However, it did not appear to be a fully lasting affair as that party was destined to soon be broken up as they were all to break off into pairs regarding pursuits of business and pleasure.

"Nonsense, its getting late in the day and knowing you Kate, m'dear,” Felicity reprimanded immediately regarding Kate’s move to take leave to return – or rather start – the work day, especially given that it was the afternoon. In all fairness, Kate did not have any appointments this particular mornings, it was open surgery and if there was an emergency, she was easily found. “You haven't had anything for lunch yet. There's some roast in the back, you'll love it, my recipe. If your surgery has kept all morning, it'll keep a bit longer."

However, it was more the recognition that both women were bound to professional obligations that was increasingly evident to Kate in that given moment, for Felicity always had to be tuned in to her customers demands. The demand in this case was Gabriel silently requesting privacy with William to discuss business. Kate decided to inconspicuously follow suit, only glad that this particular business – given that William was involved – was less likely to wind up bloody and in need of medical attention at her surgery. However, the situation was ‘less likely’, not entirely out of the question, for all bets were off with Gabriel Callahan’s involvement.

“Alright, you’ve twisted my arm,” she agreed with a small laugh, a small playfully curious smirk playing upon her features, moving to follow Felicity’s lead, giving a small courteous smile to William and Gabriel upon taking her leave and then Mae and Scarlett as her pale sapphire gaze happened upon them. “My curiosity regarding this roast is certainly piqued.”

"Oy, Scarlett,” came the call from Felicity, seemingly out of the blue for Scarlett as she looked over further up the bar, noticing Gabriel and the Sheriff – a combination that perked up her curiosity if anything for she needed to find out what they were talking about, though she had few doubts regarding the topic – before her eyes almost immediately snapped to Felicity and Kate with a questioning smile to match. “If anyone needs anything take care of it? I'm going back to have lunch."

“Sure thing,” she acquiesced with a disarming smile usually reserved for the patrons, but really, it was more Scarlett’s signature smile than anything. Casting Mae an apologetic look, she slid off the bar and moved behind it. Scarlett knew why it was that Felicity trusted her with the bar; that disarming smile and the naivety. Moving to a position where she was stationed at equal distance from everyone around the bar, but still distant enough from Mae to make a run for it if she really got hands on – unlikely, because she’d reserve it for when there was no-one around to witness – she looked around the saloon once more before turning to Felicity and Kate as the moved to the kitchen. “You have a good lunch now.”

In any case, she was close enough to register that Gabriel wasn’t making chitchat with William – for he was being very secretive about what was being said – and smart enough to pretend not to notice as she kept her smiling eyes on Mae.

(((OOC: Hope that works for… everyone. So sorry for the delay, Psyche!)))

Test Subject
#161 Old 6th Sep 2008 at 6:45 PM
Ryder loved the feel of the scorching afternoon sun warming his skin; it seemed to bathe his arms in a tangible blanket of light, one that seared away the dirt and grime of past days and left him feeling cozy and at peace. It was strange considering beads of sweat were beginning to form at the creases of his forehead as he squinted against that same light, and it would give the appearance that he was unbearable uncomfortable, fighting the heat rather than reveling in it. Despite appearances though, Ryder was blissfully calm in that sweltering heat, enjoying the chalky sand beneath his boots and the nearly-nonexistent breeze that would play with his hair intermittently.

"I'd like to hear them call you that the next time you're stitching 'em up", the coolly mature voice of Robbie cut through the air, catching him off-guard. Sometimes Ryder forgot the boy was just that--a boy, and not close in age. He possessed the hardened attitude of the elder members of the gang, but was much younger in years. "We all know who the softies are then, don't we?"

A look of pleasant surprise inched its way over Ryder's handsome features and he quirked a brow, obviously not expecting the young man to come to his aid. Although not entirely benevolent, the jab still made its point--it was true. Although the rough men of their gang liked to emphasize just how tough and masculine they were, there were a couple among them that would grimace and squirm as soon as the needle appeared before their eyes. He didn't begrudge them; no one liked stitches. But some of them did handle it a less...maturely, than others.

A deep and rumbling chuckle was Ryder's only response, for Robbie had said it all. Several of the men guilty of Robbie's accusation gruffly cleared their throats and grumbled under their breath, but no real denials were made. Even if they were thought, they were not verbalized. Ryder shot the young man a grateful smile, although his eyes were alight with a sort of pleased mirth, as though yet again impressed with the boy's verbal dexterity. He was able to put adult men in their places, and that was something that took some degree of skill.

"Well, I should be heading back to my place in case someone from town should stop by for something. I doubt it, but you never know," the silky smooth voice of Nikita interrupted his thoughts and his eyes quickly flicked over to the pretty woman. "If you need to find me for anything, that is where I'll be. Have a good day, gentlemen." He caught her gaze for a brief moment and gave her a concentrated nod, his smile softening to one of genuine gratitude. "Thank you Nikita, until later," he watched her as she moved away from the campsite, slowly making her way back to her solitary home. Ryder would have been more worried about her safety, had she been a different woman. Nikita was quite unlike a lot of the women in town; she was self-sufficient, and very independent. He had no doubt in his mind that should it come down to a situation where her safety was at stake, the fiesty woman wouldn't hesitate to severely maim or injure anyone that tried to harm her. And that bold, self-assured quality comforted him as he watched her receding form pass over the farthest hill.

Turning back to the disgruntled group of men, Ryder clapped his hands together, eying each member with an individual intensity.

"So! What's the first order of business on the agenda for today, hm?"

(ooc: hope that works? xD )

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi
Top Secret Researcher
#162 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 4:15 AM
Default Felicity and Kate-Saloon
((OOC: Alissa, to make my life easier I had them get all the way to the back room, so if thats a problem lemme know. Also, I know its a bit of a stretch for her to have a refrigeration unit in 1886, but the technology was there, and I couldn't find anywhere that said that a small one /couldn't/ have been acquirable then))

Felicity prided herself on the fact that anything could happen in her saloon, and that she would know exactly what it was. Maybe not by seeing it herself, but people spoke freely in front of her girls and her girls spoke freely to her. Or inevitably managed to slip enough for her to guess and confirm what they wouldn't tell her. Like Scarlett working with the outlaws. She saw no reason not to utilize the girls skills at observation for herself, and if any bad came of it then she would decide who to be irked at as it happened: the girl doing something a hell of a lot more savory than selling her body for money, or the person stupid enough to speak in a crowded place. That was Felicity's policy on most things, allow it until she had to react decisively one way or another.

Or her own little indulgences of beef from the north, spending an appreciable part of each months income on fine tender meats. So far her business was resilient enough to handle Felicity and the girls having good meat- there was local slop readily available for customers- and the occasional indulgence for a close friend. “Alright, you’ve twisted my arm,” Kate said with a small smile, “My curiosity regarding this roast is certainly piqued.”

Felicity and Kate had gone the length of the bar and Felicity held the door to the back, where were her sleeping quarters, a small but well furnished library, and a door to her nearly self maintaining herb garden. The library was Felicity's guilty pleasure, it had almost four hundred books on cheap wood shelves with a plushy chair and sofa. Nearly all of the salary that Felicity gave herself went to the place. "You'll be impressed, Kate m'dear" she said with a laugh as she strode over to the kitchen to get the left over roast from the refrigerator. The thing was one of the most foregin and bizarre ideas that Felicity had ever come across, and had cost a fortune, but she felt that being able to buy things in bulk made it worth the trouble. Even if everything started to smell like the alcohol coolant after a while.

The roast had been sitting on a metal plate, with about half of it carved off from when it was eaten last night. She threw a cover over the platter, sat it on her hip and went back into the library where she pulled the cover off with a flourish. "Northern beef, garlic, sage, and tarragon," she said smugly. All home grown, the herbs and the beef, though cold, was to die for. Still, Felicity carved her slice off and skewered it on the fire poker to roast it a bit. She doubted Kate would want the meat cooked again, anything nasty would have died the first time, and the poker Felicity was using was the same one used to stir the ashes, that was kept in a stand that hadn't been metallic looking in years. Doubtful the good doctor would want her meat roasted on such filth, but Felicity didn't mind. She knew Kate had a point about not eating off the thing, but so far no harm had come of it, and the meat was perfectly good cool and smelling of refrigerants.

"So, anything interesting happen lately?" she asked casually, removing her slice from the flame and slipping it delicately onto a plate, and then carving a slice for her guest. Felicity was known as a person safe to confide in, and friendship did nothing to change that. She liked knowing everything about everyone, but never felt any need to share that knowledge.

((OOC: Atropa, I'll get a post for William up tomorrow, and Alissa, I hope that was OK.))

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#163 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 10:26 AM
(((ooc: starphyre77 - Sadly, it seems Elektra has dropped out of this RP. I've tried to get an answer from her, but she doesn't respond to my PMs.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
#164 Old 7th Sep 2008 at 11:14 PM
((OOC - Ok, thanks for letting me know. I'll have to think about where I go from there... but she obviously won’t be joining Constance on the picnic. ))
Top Secret Researcher
#165 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 2:51 AM
Default William and Gabriel- Drinkin' Buddiez!
William observed Felicity hop over the bar, revealing an uncomfortable amount of skin under her shapeless dress and walk off into the back with Kate. Well, that was probably for the best, what reason could Gabriel have to seek out his company other than what to do with the large pile of money currently in his office?

William suspected that Gabriel was walking over, but he didn't feel it was worth the trouble of actually looking over to confirm it. Instead he took a long gulp of his tea, thus finishing the mug and leaving it neatly on the counter for someone else to deal with. As if on cue Gabriel appeared on William's left to lean casually on the bar.

William's eyes flicked over to the other man who seemed to be purposefully not looking at him. Gabriel said in a low conversational tone, as though commenting on the weather, "I hear you've yet to organize a party to ride to Fairgrove"

It had been less than a week since the issue had come up, so William felt that though he probably should have done something about said pile of money, it was fair enough that he hadn't done anything about it. Unless the oh-so honorable mayor Morgan wanted the money for himself? Check that, of course he wanted the money for himself, but to act on it quite so... indirectly? That was a bit out of style for the mayor, especially given that so far as Morgan knew William was still a dog on a string.

William felt himself proven right, as Gabriel continued, "I'm sure you understand our mayor is most anxious to see the matter dealt with as soon as possible, and as it appears you're having trouble finding anyone willing to do it, he suggests you leave it to me and my men."

It was not a lack of people willing to do it, as surely Gabriel knew, it was a matter of people that would get all of the money back to Fairgrove, which was surely the reason William hadn't gone to Gabriel and his cohorts in the first place. Now William had been disillusioned when he became sheriff that Mayor Morgan was not the magnanimous clever leader that he portrayed himself as, but even before then William had known he was rather corrupt and ruthless. And given corruption and ruthlessness it was rather unlikely that the mayor's man was going to deliver all of the goods.

Before William wouldn't have minded overmuch, but now as he attempted to become slightly less an object of ridicule, the thought of taking the people of Fairgrove's money was beneath his contempt. There wasn't much choice though, was there? He didn't see many options other than going himself. And with that a tiny smirk crept onto William's lips. Oh that would be rich. His voice was even and just as calm as his companion's as he responded, "Actually, I had been planning on going myself. Don't know who else I might trust to get that kind of money back to the town."

Not much of an insult that, William had made his opinion of Gabriel and his men abundantly clear over the years, but the point was there that yes William realized precisely why the mayor wanted Gabriel to take care of it, and that he wasn't going to stand for it.

((OOC: Hope that's okay with you Atropa?))

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#166 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 1:17 AM
Default Gabriel and sheriff Dawes - saloon
(((ooc: Furry - Well, it's just a detail, but the first post of this thread, in the 'recent events', it does mention that the robbery in Fairgrove happened 'about a week ago', which would have landed the loot at the sheriff's that long ago as well. )))

As the mayor's right hand man, and a man best not toyed with in his own right, over the years Gabriel had grown rather used to not being opposed by those who knew of him (truly knowing him was something pretty much none of the townspeople could pride themselves with). Ever so often, someone came along and made a more or less brave attempt, but whenever that happened, it was usually a very brief one. Gabriel was... efficent, one might call it, and rarely wasted much time before setting such fools straight.

And so, when the one person who should know better than anyone that in cases such as this, the choice given was merely just for show, dismissed his 'proposal', Gabriel had to admit to being slightly surprised. Was the sheriff just unusually dense today, or was he attempting to grown an actual backbone?

"Actually, I had been planning on going myself", the man said, openly opposing the mayor's wishes, which if it was not like biting the hand that fed him, was followed by a text book example of such a deed, as he went on to take a stab at Gabriel and his men: "Don't know who else I might trust to get that kind of money back to the town."

Quirking a brow ever so slightly, while aiming his gaze at the mirror behind the bar, and the sheriff's reflection in it, Gabriel caught what appeared to be the hint of a smirk on William's lips; a sure sign that it was not just stupidity talking. It seemed that for whatever reason, sheriff Dawes was taking a personal and rather unhealthy interest in what happened to the loot; money that, as far as the people of Fairgrove knew, was lost forever, and thus would be delighted to have brought back to them, regardless of the amount. They didn't know how much had been recovered, it was doubtful they even knew that some of it had been recovered in the first place, and so it really wouldn't hurt anyone if a few dollars disappeared into the pockets of the men willing to brave the inhospitable plains seperating the two towns.

And really... The sheriff taking the loot there himself? Now what kind of idiotic idea was that? He really couldn't have thought that one through too well, could he?

"And leave the people of Morgan's Creek without their sheriff's protection, and a bunch of outlaws around?" Gabriel commented dryly, intentionally ignoring the sheriff's finishing gibe.

With just the two of them being part of the conversation, denying what they both knew to be true would simply be ridiculous, and a complete waste of time.

"They have yet to hit the bank here, and you're more interested in bringing the people of Fairgrove their money, than you are in protecting the ones to whom you truly have an obligation?"

Having said that, Gabriel actually favored William a brief sideway glance, though it was hardly a cordial one, but instead a rather amused one.

"One might get to thinkin' you're looking for an excuse not to be here to fulfill your duties", he added.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#167 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 2:16 AM
((OOC: I think this is widely relevant, hence why I ask here instead of in PM. That said:

Are the maps drawn to scale? If so, exactly how massive is Morgan's Creek? it seems like at most it would cover about a square mile, and if you extrapolate that out on the state map fairgrove would be about 8miles away. Even if the town is much more massive (still assuming the map is to scale, which is probably where the inaccuracy is), say four square miles, it would still be 32ish miles, which a good horse could cover, round trip in a morning and afternoon with chit chat at destination. If is just 8 miles then the whole round trip with limited chit chat could be done in a morning.

So Gabriel's qualm about it taking the sheriff away from the town doesn't make much geographical sense, unless I woefully underestimate the size of the town, or overestimate the speed of the kind of horses in the area, or the to scale-ness of the map. So uhmmm... which one is it?

Thankies.
Also, fixed previous post))

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#168 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 10:36 AM
(((ooc: FurryPanda: As I'm sure you'll understand, the map is not in scale. I would hardly make Gabriel an imbecil. I simply can't be expected to pay that much minute detail and calculate miles etc, nor to actually make a map big enough to cover the full range of a considerable area of the Colorado plains. It is just there to give a general idea. Thus, Fairgrove, I imagine is a day's speedy ride away, meaning you would leave early in the morning, and not be back until nightfall. Though at the same time, I don't imagine the outlaw camp more than a few hours ride away. So, that being said, I do understand your point, and I will do my best to correct the map to better illustrate all this.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#169 Old 9th Sep 2008 at 7:04 PM
Default Kate and Felicity - Saloon backroom
Following Felicity’s lead into the backroom, Kate couldn’t help as her eyes almost automatically wandered over to the impressive collection of books that were housed on a set of shaky shelves. She had inspected the volumes before, and she had read a few of them already, but still, it never ceased to captivate her every time she was in visual range of it.

"You'll be impressed, Kate m'dear," Felicity broke through Kate’s thoughts as they moved into the kitchen, Kate’s attentions now latching onto the rather interesting contraption that Felicity and few other vendors could boast owning. She could certainly think of a refrigerator’s advantages if it could work, but there in lay there very questions; did it work and was that certain enough to gamble with food? From what Kate could tell, so far, so good.

As Felicity moved to pick up the roast to reheat it, Kate made no objects, for it truly was a wise thing to do. After all, meat, once cooked, wasn’t completely safe upon storage and hence, it was best for everyone that it was reheated well, before being served again. She had to admit, however, that it did smell delicious as it was, heated or otherwise. It seemed Felicity was likely to be right; Kate was about to be impressed.

"So, anything interesting happen lately?" Felicity carried on as she began serving the meat, the question raising a faint smile from Kate. It was one of the smaller similarities between them, that both required information and both were not prone to totally idle gossip for no reason. However, it was a difference within that that Kate did it out of professional obligation and Felicity did it out of professional courtesy. Either way, for that, if they did talk about anything, it was safe between them.

“Not to me personally,” she admitted, though not with any sort of melancholy about it for given how interesting things could get, she enjoyed the peace she got, whenever she got it. In contemplation of the morning’s events, a rather mischievously amused smile sparkled in her pale blue eyes. “Although the Sheriff’s sudden preference of tea is interesting.”

She wasn’t criticising or judging, as proved by the rather entertained look over her beautiful features. She was simply approaching a topic that was already well ventured upon; the Sheriff’s tendency to complain about the world and its wife to Felicity, now with the added concern from Kate’s professional point of view.

(((OOC: Hope that works you, Furry )))

#170 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 2:40 AM
Default Constance - Outside the school
Unfortunately, Lizzie wasn’t able to join Constance and Emmy on their picnic, so after talking for a little, they left the school. However, Constance decided that they were still going to have their picnic in the meadow behind the school. Standing in front of the school, she saw Elsie leaving the laundry.

“Oh look,” she said to Emmy, “There’s Miss Elsie.”

“’I Miss Owsie!” Emmy called as they started to cross the street to greet Elsie.

Elsie turned toward them and smiled as she started to cross the street as well. “Good afternoon Elsie,” Constance said when they met up. “How are you today?”
Top Secret Researcher
#171 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 11:09 PM
Default Felicity and Kate- Backroom
((Atropa, I will get William's post up sometime tonight, I have some major schoolwork to get caught up on, and my designated procrastination time will probably expire once I've finished this.))

Felicity and Kate, though having known each other less than a year were very good friends. Good enough friends that if Felicity were to note her friend observing her actions with interest, then she would react accordingly and allow them to be mimicked on her friends behalf. So when Kate watched Felicty re-roast the meat in the fire, she did not ask before handing the slice to Kate cutting another one and sticking it into the fire until the outside blackened and spat- a matter of moments unlike the painstaking process of the first piece.

Her meat prepared she sat down opposite Kate and nodded regally. Felicity, feeding people for a living, did not eat before her guests, and Kate being raised right properly wouldn't eat before her host. Which usually led to a bit of a standstill. Hopefully her little nod would have headed any awkwardness off, the thing about charcoal black meat was that it had to be piping hot.

Food served, Kate answered Felicity's previous question, “Not to me personally,”

Felicity smiled, anyone who had to deal with people not at their best appreciated a bit of peace and quiet, and she suspected Kate was no different. The other woman continued, an amused look rising onto her face, “Although the Sheriff’s sudden preference of tea is interesting.”

Felicity's face didn't waver. She knew in her mind she could trust Kate, but still it was a reflex action to think carefully before she spoke about others. A somewhat criminal past, a professional need to keep secrets, both her girls' and her patrons', made her pause before deciding to disclose anything. It was only a momentary silence, she hoped Kate wouldn't notice it, but she doubted that highly. The girl was probably just as perceptive as Felicity was.

"He's actually been drinking it for a while, almost since he stopped asking for hard liquor." That would have been about three months ago by Felicity's counting. He was still a regular customer, and still drank whine, but he clearly was not a drunkard. Felicity didn't think it admirable so much as noteworthy. Months and months of drinking all that liquor straight and then going to responsible drinking in a flash? She reckoned that something had changed, she just couldn't figure out what. Unbeknownst to her it was nothing more than Sheriff Dawes getting over himself a bit.

"Better than hard liquor of course, heaven forbid I run out of that!" Felicity finished, on a slightly joking tone, hoping that her friend would eat the meat already. Of course the joke was that it could full well offend Kate's sensibilities that the only reason tea was better was that it was less popular. Friend or no, Felicity had a small mischievous streak that couldn't resist tweaking people.

Field Researcher
#172 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 12:00 AM
Default Mae Starr & Scarlett O'Reilly - The Saloon
# 5 [Afternoon, day #1]

Scarlett was pretty, blessed with the face of a doll. And one could almost mistake her for a full blossomed woman, if she hadn't played that innocent little girl routine a tad too well. Mae also believed that she actually was nothing more than a girl in most regards, but there were still moments when she wondered if Scarlett was not a bit more accustomed to the world than she let on. Maybe Mae was the one being played, and not the other way around. Underestimation was a dangerous game to play, and Mae was careful not to fall into that trap. Regardless of how highly she thought of herself.

“I think that might raise a few questions...", Scarlett said, looking a bit conniving, but suddenly changing her demeanour as she continued in her usual innocent tone of voice. “Oh, Mae. Don't be mad... I was just playing.”

She even formed her lips into a pout, to further ensure Mae wouldn't be offended. However, Mae was seldom beckoned that easily. Though she was impressed of just how coyly playful Scarlett could be, like a kitten.

"Oy, Scarlett", came Felicity's voice, interrupting their staring match, asking the younger girl to help her out if anyone wanted anything while she was on her break.

Mae had noticed that she was quite busy, their Madame, with sheriff William Dawes, Kate Hilton; their town doctor and now even Gabriel making his way towards them. But that didn't mean she wasn't annoyed by the disturbance, even if she showed no such sign on her facial expression. Her gaze was fixed on Scarlett.

“Sure thing", Scarlett said, with that usual naive smile, and she moved around to the other side of the bar. “You have a good lunch now.”

It was wise to be on the Madam's good side, but Mae would have rolled her eyes at Scarlett's pristine act, if it wouldn't have spoiled the seriousness in her current demeanour.

"Can I play too?" she said, as if the interruption had never taken place. "Does this game of yours have any rules, or is it... anything goes...?"

The last words came over Mae's lips with a daunting tone, in order to abate the courage in the opposing party. Her eyes had illboding glints in them, as if she was contemplating something really mean to bring to the table. She leaned closer, with her slender hands on the surface of the clean bar. There was no denying Mae when she was in that mood.

"You really shouldn't test me, Scarlett. It's only fun until someone gets hurt."
Field Researcher
#173 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 4:16 AM
Default Dex Woolgar, Robbie Logan, Ryder Scott & Nikita Wellston - Outlaw Hideout
# 5 [Afternoon, day #1]

Dex poured some water down his dry throat, glancing at the unforgiving sun high above them. It was going to be yet another hot day, keeping them just as warm as the nights sometimes kept them cold. He got goose bumps, feeling his body coming alive. It would be a few more hours before the heat would become a factor, though it was a factor that didn't concern Dex much.

"Yeah, like a hole in the head."

Robbie's comment lingered in his mind. The boy had some quick jabs, he gave him that. And he was funny, giving Dex a reason to smile and smirk daily. Even when Robbie was annoyed, he was seldom so gloomy it brought down moral.

"I'd like to hear them call you that the next time you're stitching 'em up", Robbie commented further, about Ryder being soft, but it was probably more to get even with James. "We all know who the softies are then, don't we?"

It was a good point. Dex grinned. He didn't take offence, since he was probably the only one in the gang that could take Ryder's needle without grimacing much. Though Robbie had yet to proove himself in that regard, it also meant no one had anything on him for now.

"Well, I should be heading back to my place in case someone from town should stop by for something", Nikita said. "I doubt it, but you never know. If you need to find me for anything, that is where I'll be. Have a good day, gentlemen."

The dog could sense that his owner was leaving, he raised his head but didn't at first seem ready to go when she was.

"Good day, Miss", Dex said, while touching the brim of his hat in her direction.

After her depature, it was business as usual in the Outlaw Hideout. Someone burped, another one made a comical remark about women. But one could always count on Ryder to have his head above the gutter.

"So!" he said enthusiastically. "What's the first order of business on the agenda for today, hm?"

Dex took off his hat and drew his fingers through his tangled tresses.

"I think we should take a crack at what we've been talking about for days", he said. "Today is as good as any day. We need to get back in the saddle."

Those last words were more a figure of speech, than litterally. They all knew what he meant, and how dangerous it was to hold on too tight to what had happened to their comrade. No matter how much they missed him, they couldn't afford to dwell in it, lest they'd be sitting ducks. Survival outside the law wasn't easy, you had to be on your toes.

((( ooc: Atropa & Trampled - We'll take the details in PM? )))
Scholar
#174 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 7:38 PM
Default Kate and Felicity - Saloon Kitchen
Kate was very intelligent and well-tuned to the on goings in the situation around her. It involved the people, the events, the coincidences and the machinations. It involved the reasons and the lack thereof. It involved perception, reality and conclusions drawn from those. For that, however, Kate had to be rather observant, with everyone, regardless of whether she trusted them or not.

Therefore, when Felicity took the smallest fractions of hesitation before answering her fishing expedition regarding William’s possible drinking problem, she had to admit that her interest was piqued. Knowing Felicity, she’d keep secrets – not wantonly, but with professional and personal justification – which weren’t always divulged to Kate. That, in this case, raised the question, what was she protecting the Sheriff over, if she was protecting him, and why? However, it was a testament of Felicity’s talent that her pretty face gave nothing away of the mind’s secrets as Kate’s eyes impassively watched.

"He's actually been drinking it for a while,” she said as they both had the meal set down before them and Kate had to admit, it smelled heavenly. “Almost since he stopped asking for hard liquor."

Well, that was a good sign as long as it wasn’t a fleeting trial of something new before he returned to hard liquor. Although, Kate did have to wonder what tipped the scales for him to suddenly switched to alcohol laced tea rather than just alcohol. He’d been wandering around depressed for some time, by Kate’s observations and despite efforts, there had been little she could, was allowed to do, but what made him suddenly make the jump on his own? Glad for it and in admiration though she was, the question still stood.

"Better than hard liquor of course, heaven forbid I run out of that!" she jested, drawing out a flash of almost amusedly reprimanding grin from Kate in appreciation of Felicity’s mischievous candour at moments. William was at risk of drinking the saloon dry? Yes, wine was better than hard liquor, but not if he made up for it in amounts. However, Kate decided to let her contemplations lie with herself for the moment.

“You are shameless,” she shook her head playfully for a moment in friendly banter before trying some of the roast, soon a vocal manifestation of Kate’s appreciation of the delectable taste resulted as she waited instead of talking with her mouth full. “God, Felicity, you certainly weren’t exaggerating, this is wonderful!”

(((OOC: Sorry for the delay and hope that works for you, Furry )))

Scholar
#175 Old 13th Sep 2008 at 8:33 PM
Default Scarlett and Mae - Saloon
Little children don’t often realise what they get themselves into. Most of them. Then again, there are some who, after poking at the anthill, run far enough away to relish the chaos with no disregard for personal safety. Scarlett fluctuated between the two types; she knew how to stay safe and yet, she couldn’t help poking the anthill even when she couldn’t run.

And she’d done that just now. She’d angered Mae and was currently trapped writhing beneath the icy stare, though the counter provided a comparatively flimsy barrier for protection from Mae’s wrath as she moved to make it clear that Scarlett was far from out of the woods as her feminine, yet currently intimidating, form leaned against the bar towards Scarlett, looming, her hands gripping the wooden edge before she spoke.

“Can I play too?" she asked with the very same threatening that had been in place before, leaving Scarlett to realise that nothing had changed in the moments that passed and it probably won’t for some time. "Does this game of yours have any rules, or is it... anything goes...?"

The final words sent shivers down Scarlett’s spine as if someone had suddenly let drop a small stream of iced water down her back, the young girl almost shivering and yet, grippingly cold fascination of the dangerous light in Mae’s captivating eyes holding her bewitched in place, nothing but wide eyes claiming the attention on her face.

"You really shouldn't test me, Scarlett. It's only fun until someone gets hurt."

She could imagine exactly what that would involve, for Scarlett was far from stupid. She was young, naïve and a little reckless, but she was far from stupid and Mae was right, testing the boundaries at this given point would result in that threat held in Mae’s eyes manifesting. She tore herself away soon enough, deep breath as she looked down at the shined bar before she raised her face, now smiling with that aura of innocence once more.

“I think the rules are that no-one gets hurt,” she said with a hush of a voice, that smile waning for a moment in what was almost a slip of Scarlett’s more mature nature, the one that reigned her more covert occupation. Though, it was only the smallest slip.

(((OOC: Sorry for the double post and the delay and hope this works for you, Psyche )))

Page 7 of 11