Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 9:56 AM
Default Can't Support The Weight Errors
I'm trying to build this house. Cake, right? I thought so...but that roof is giving me fits! It looks to me like a simple shed gable plus long gable, blended, but when I line the angles up I keep getting "can't support the weight" errors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshots
Advertisement
#2 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 6:54 AM
I had this same problem while recently building a home. I was able to get around it by turning moveobjects on

Unless you've already tried doing that, then I don't know what could help you.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 2:23 AM
I have tried that with no success. Thanks, though.
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 3:56 AM
you need the "half" gable, with a regular gable on the second floor. if you dont get this, i cant help you, since i am clueless if that doesnt work.
Scholar
#5 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 4:03 AM
What kind of stairs do you have? If just reg maxis straight stairs, I dunno why it won't work; BUT BUT BUT!!! *IF* you did all the boolprop fiddly bits to get the angled stairs, it won't work because the "real" tops of the walls don't line up as far as the roof is concearned (sp?). Therefore, no support for the roof. You might be able to fix it by adding in a "false" floor level and then placing the roof on that
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
. . . BUT BUT BUT!!! *IF* you did all the boolprop fiddly bits to get the angled stairs, it won't work . . .

Heureka, I often wondered about my difficulties with roofs the last weeks. Now I know why. . .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 1:45 PM
I thought it might have been the angled stairs, so I started over (bulldozed and rebuilt, lest there be residual elevation issues to interfere) and used straight stairs...and it STILL didn't work. Is there a span limit? And if so, WHY???
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 4:50 PM
If the stairway were a problem you'd get a different error (depending on whether you had insufficient clearance or were intersecting the stairway object).

You use 2 points to define a roof, start and end. Both need to be on the same level. Not just the same "floor" of the house, but also the same physical height above the sidewalk (I think in terms of the sidewalk being the reference level).

I've only gotten the can't support weight error for one of those 2 reasons.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 5:19 PM
I'd try to do the roof first and then build the 2nd floor inside - perhaps that would work.
Roofs are somewhat difficult (imo). Sometimes - after a long while trying - they suddenly do what I want. And I don't know why or why not before. . .
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 9:19 PM
you have to do the roofing first, then place the stairs. if the stairs can't be placed, use moveobjects on
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 11:22 PM Last edited by Xmodsrcool : 30th Mar 2005 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Upload didn't work
Do you mean something like this?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  1056 Ibitsa Court.rar (734.8 KB, 30 downloads) - View custom content

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Dainty, Smarter, Better Dressed! Antique high heel red doll shoes! ~-_-BIG fan of Rasputina!-_-~
"He had the agility of a Pregnant Cow"
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 10:58 AM
Yeah, unfortunately...the bay window is the problem. As your house illustrates, it has to be roofed separately, which, for me spoils the whole look of the house. Ah, well...maybe some future expansion will give us realistic roofs.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 3:41 PM
@ croiduire - when I want something roofed, I first build walls the roof needs. Then I delete the walls - the roof stays. You can do this by using columns / pillars too and then delete them. It works.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 3:50 PM
Be careful to not change the level height on the anchoring corner of the roof (the first corner selected). If you change that level height (rendered or not) your roof level will change.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 12th Apr 2005 at 6:24 AM
Place columns, on foundation if necessary, then place the roof.

When the roof is in place, use 'moveobjects on' to delete the columns.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies