Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 17th May 2009 at 9:15 PM
I would like weather back too but in order to make the EP worthwhile it'd need more than just weather, since the other main aspect of Seasons (growing your own veg) is already in the base game. Perhaps a sort of mix between Seasons and Free Time, with lots of season related hobbies and social aspects... like, I dunno, swimming in the ocean and lakes, camping and hiking in the hills (there seems to be plenty of green space round the edges) and then snowboarding down them in the winter. Lots of little things like that.

A city type EP would be great. One that could open up a lot of the rabbit holes and provide many of aspects of towns and cities that I've always felt lacking, like markets and street vendors. There were some in TS1 but as far as I'm aware they were completely left out of TS2. I also REALLY want back all the spa equipment from SS (plus extra) and the smoothie and sushi bars back too. I missed those.

I know I'm hoping for too much but I was always so disappointed with many of the EPs. It always seemed like the developers had some really great ideas and then the marketers would come along and say... "er, better cut it back a bit, we can put that other stuff in the next EP and make twice as much". When I get that EP, whatever it may be, I really want to feel that they've squeezed in as much as possible for the money we're paying.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 17th May 2009 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SwaSwa
I know I'm hoping for too much but I was always so disappointed with many of the EPs. It always seemed like the developers had some really great ideas and then the marketers would come along and say... "er, better cut it back a bit, we can put that other stuff in the next EP and make twice as much". When I get that EP, whatever it may be, I really want to feel that they've squeezed in as much as possible for the money we're paying.

I know what you mean, and the reality is probably not far off base from what you're imagining. But I'd also like to think that the old adage applies here, in that "too many cooks spoil the broth". While we certainly want the bang for our buck, I'm guessing it's risky for developers to try and cram as many aspects as they can into each EP, especially considering deadlines. (Assuming they put out two EPs per year) I'd prefer fewer, more well thought out ideas over many half-baked ones.

Then again, I might still be using a Sims 2 mentality, technology-wise. Undoubtedly, strides have been made in the game's engine, and maybe they can get away with more without compromising quality. Not to mention updating existing EPs is probably easier than building from scratch. I dunno... :shrug:
Field Researcher
#28 Old 17th May 2009 at 10:24 PM
I like the idea of an OFB-type EP for S3 since it would work so well with the open neighborhood. I always felt that the greatest limitation of OFB in TS2 was the fact that the lot time sync (or lack there of, rather) made the "game within the game" aspect of having a non-home business uninteresting in the long run. In S3 it would actually be challenging (= more fun) to have your sims develop e.g. a gift/floral shop or restaurant while also juggling their personal life, due to everything in the sim world now trucking along on a 24-hour schedule no matter what you're having your sim do.

In S3, running a business would potential mean time away from family and friends. Households would not be in suspension until the "active" sim returns home (30 or so minutes after leaving, despite having spent 8 hours on their business lot).

Seasons and Free Time were probably my favorite TS2 EPs though, and I hope we get the major aspects of those back without having to wait some 5 years... Pets was unnecessary as its own expansion, but I would rejoice if animals are introduced into S3 sooner than later - either as a more fully developed and thought through EP this time, or tacked on to another expansion.

Oh, and nightclubs, restaurants/cafes (non-rabbit hole ones), pubs/bars... we need those in the game! There seems to be far too few "public" places for sims to socialize in S3 - I can imagine that hanging out in the park and/or beach will get tired soon...
Field Researcher
#29 Old 17th May 2009 at 10:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arcadus
I dont know, I'm not all that excited about the fact they are already working on expansions. That seems like milking it just a little too much. I was hoping with the online exchange they would keep the expansions to a minimum.

The Exchange and The Sims Store are fine for distributing content, and could easily replace Stuff Packs, but EPs add much more than just new content, they add gameplay elements, which involve a lot of work. Assuming they're keeping the EP model (which I can't see any reason for them to abandon, EPs make them an incredible amount of money and keep loyal players motivated to keep playing for years), it only makes sense that they're working on them now. The amount of work that goes into developing expansions means they have to start now to release one within their normal timetable.

Milking it? I don't think so. Sure, they could add all those things into the base game, but we'd be waiting months or longer for the base game to be released. I say give me the base game now, let me get into it, and start adding EPs just as things start seeming a little stale.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 18th May 2009 at 1:36 AM
Ugh that's sort of disappointing to me for a few reasons. One is that it means they're just recycling old ideas, and secondly, OFB didn't entertain me at all. I've only had three businesses in my sim game. I find them quite boring. Oh well, maybe the second ep will be more interesting.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:07 AM
I'm all for the City EP idea. Apartment Life is by far my favorite EP of TS2, and I would hate to see TS3 not have the city elements (heck, all of my frequently-played Sims live in apartments). A Seasons remake would be wonderful, but what about more new ideas? I would hate to just keep buying remakes of previous EP's; that would get dreadfully boring.

Now for the subject actually at hand, I don't have OFB (never really saw the point in buying it), so I probably wouldn't get the remake.

I really, really hope that there are a good amount of spots for my Sims to socialize. I agree that hanging out at the park/beach all the time would get very dull.

Just call me Sam :]
Instructor
#32 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:19 AM
You can hang out at the gym, pool and library too, can't you? What about the art gallery/museum there seems to be? Plus Sims can go over to other sims homes, so it should keep us interested for a short while at least.

You can also create your own community lots too - but I'm at a loss as to what people would actually make since there seems to be no functionality surrounding community and business like there was with The Sims 2 (Nightlife, OFB, etc). You couldn't make a functioning restaurant, pub or diner and you probably couldn't make a functioning nightclub.
#33 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:32 AM
I would be surprised if an OFB style expansion would be their first choice. It might have been their favourite, but I don't think it was the players. A lot of people downright hated it. Personally, I must admit, it was one of my favourite...
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
You can hang out at the gym, pool and library too, can't you? What about the art gallery/museum there seems to be? Plus Sims can go over to other sims homes, so it should keep us interested for a short while at least.

Ah, I forgot about those. I've been so busy wrapping myself around a new family in TS2 that I haven't really done anything else productive.

On topic again, any EP that will open up rabbit hole plus provide some useful gameplay changes will have my support. Heck, as long as they stay original and forgo making remake after remake, I'll buy them all. :]

Just call me Sam :]
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:49 AM
Personally I would love to see a re-o of Bon voyage. With the new open neighborhood mini vacations would be awesome. I also think it would be interesting to watch to watch your sims fly to their destination over the screen and being able to switch to other families if you get tired.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 18th May 2009 at 5:14 AM
I bet its going to be an OFB meets Apartment and Night Life EP

3 in 1 wouldn't be bad and think of it this way, as long as it takes away some rabbit holes and adds some new aspects, im there to support it like many others.
#37 Old 18th May 2009 at 5:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tim_L
I bet its going to be an OFB meets Apartment and Night Life EP

Well that would be quite amazing, really. Nightlife & OFB sort of go together too, since they both focus on community lots. As for apartments, I'm going to really miss that feature, although I think it could have been implemented much better, I guess it was due to limitations in the Sims 2 core.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 18th May 2009 at 6:31 AM
Well, I'm not even going to think about buying the game until they get rid of the rabbit holes, so you know what I'm hoping for. I want my shops ans restaurants! XD
#39 Old 18th May 2009 at 6:51 AM
I swear I read somewhere that you'll be able to be in apartments in the base game? It was in the 'everything to do with the sims3' thread. but perhaps I was wrong. Would be awesome if you could. I loved Apartment Life.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 18th May 2009 at 7:21 AM
that was quick.
Scholar
#41 Old 18th May 2009 at 8:15 AM
OFB was an okay EP. I was much more excited about it when I first heard than when I actually got to play it. I wouldn't mind a business-themed EP for TS3 if it opened up the rabbit holes, but otherwise, I'm not too excited about it.

...Now if we were talking about a carnival/amusement park EP, that would be a different story.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
#42 Old 18th May 2009 at 6:33 PM
I think if they combined say OFB and Nightlife together it might make it more interesting and also expanding the idea of OFB to make it more rescent and hip or somethin that might be cool .I also like the idea about being able to follow your sims to work or even school I think that would be neat I also think when a sims is pregnant she should be able to go to the hospital to have the baby instead of home
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
OFB was an okay EP. I was much more excited about it when I first heard than when I actually got to play it. I wouldn't mind a business-themed EP for TS3 if it opened up the rabbit holes, but otherwise, I'm not too excited about it.

...Now if we were talking about a carnival/amusement park EP, that would be a different story.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 18th May 2009 at 10:43 PM
I have to say that OFB is my all time favourite ep, whenever I get tired of normal sims gameplay I always end up building or running another business. I also love that people come home with random stuff in their backpacks that I then "have to" fit into their house - kind of my my sims have their own taste. So with that in mind I think it is a perfect choice for a first EP + it i would be awesome to open up those silly rabbit holes - I can't be the only one who love to see my sims shop.

For new or updated skins, please visit my website: Pink Rabbit
Forum Resident
#44 Old 18th May 2009 at 11:11 PM
Nobody is mentioning the creatures! In my opinion, the creatures of each expansion added to a lot of the fun. How often in real life do you get to see a Plantsim and a Servo or a Vampire and a Zombie shooting the breeze? I really hope the EPs bring back our creatures.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 19th May 2009 at 7:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gtgirl
I also think when a sims is pregnant she should be able to go to the hospital to have the baby instead of home

She can! You now have the option to choose which of the two location she wants to give birth at.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 19th May 2009 at 9:29 AM
I actually love the idea if ofb type of ep is the first, as its essential in the way I play + it's one of my favorite eps.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 20th May 2009 at 5:37 PM
Not too excited about an OFB type expansion pack. It was my least favorite EP in Sims 2. I would love to see a Nightlife/Hot Date or Apartment Life type expansion first. Seasons/Weather could be included in one of these expansions.

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. ~ Katharine Hepburn
Alchemist
#48 Old 20th May 2009 at 5:53 PM
I think OFB was a gem and was under rated... I didn't care for it for probably a year, and then suddenly, opening up businesses was my true passion. I really like starting a Sim with nothing, working him til he's blue in the face to afford a storefront, and starting humbly, and working until he's practically dead trying to sell his wares.
Test Subject
#49 Old 20th May 2009 at 6:05 PM
I also loved OFB, I think it added a lot in terms of game play, and it is still one of the few aspects of ts2 that I haven't gotten bored with yet. That said, I would love to see some weather.
Instructor
#50 Old 20th May 2009 at 6:16 PM
I wasn't ever deeply into OFB, don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it. The few times I've played a business, I've had a great time with it. I think the timing thing (leaving home and returning roughly the same time) is what I don't like about it the most. If the first ep is an OFB style remake, it would have to have some exceptional additional features for me to even be interested. Weather would be one of those features.
Page 2 of 5