Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2015 at 10:09 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Island Paradise
Default Virus from TSR??
Okay so this might be a long post, so be prepared.
I had just gotten the sims 3, and i couldn't wait to download new custom content and hairs and stuff like that, so i searched up sims 3 custom content and the first website that came up was the sims resource. It didnt look like a fishy site to me, so i decided to trust it. that was in late may to early june. Now it is july, and just this week, i got a note saying: WARNING! WARNING! Firewall blocked or something like that, from microsoft support line!! I was freaking out and so i searched it up, and it turns out i have adware/maleware/spyware on my computer, and so i downloaded adwcleaner and a bunch of virus cleaning programs. (this time i CAREFULLY searched up whether or not they were trustworthy) And so, i started scanning my computer for viruses. The thing is all of the programs said that they detected nothing- no viruses, or not even any threats. So once again i started freaking out. Then i finally searched up how trustworthy the sims resource was. Alot of people said that they had goood experiences with tsr, but just as many, if not more, stated that tsr was not to be trusted, because of the ads, that could cause adware,maleware or spyware on my computer. So, now i am freaking out even more!!!

Does anyone have the solution to this?? PLease i am freaking out, and sorry i kept rambling on!! AHHHHHHHHH!!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 3:31 AM
If you click on the actual download buttons for TSR content, their downloads are perfectly safe. Well, what they do to your game may not be what you wanted, depends on the developer, but they won't harm your computer in any way.

If you accidentally click on a rogue advertisement screaming "Download Here" in your face (some are more subtle than others), which honestly is easy to do even if you recognize the bogus ones as you drag your mouse across the screen, then you are likely to get malware. TSR cannot directly control what the advertisers do on their subscribed ad server. It's similar to many other free download services out there.

Security programs tend to claim that sites like TSR are suspicious or hostile only because of the ads being served up, not because of the actual content provided.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 6:11 AM
This is why I have ad blocker activated for TSR, because I know ads will try to have the fake "download" buttons like that, and I've nearly clicked on 1 or two of them. The ads also were massively slowing down the site for me.

I'm a NASCAR fan
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 11:25 AM
I have adblockers on for TSR because the ads tend to slow things down on me and I almost clicked on the wrong download button once when I didn't have the adblocker activated there because that got in the way of the download button for what I really wanted to download.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2015 at 8:41 PM
Your problem is adware from what I am reading. I had the same problem with adware from TSR on my old computer. I actually had to buy a protection program to get rid of it all before said computer died from old age. On TSR, do not click anything that is not a link to custom content or said custom content's download button.