Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 7:08 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Showtime
Default Total disaster!
MY sims families and other people are GONE, it says "Some objects may not be available" or something of that nature anyway it also won't let me load my new family that I unfortunately had to create, it keeps shutting down then it goes "sims3 not working" it crashes is what I mean ever since I installed the animations and poses mods and then deleted them cause it made my game slow then my computer updated itself! Help me!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by prettymiley
MY sims families and other people are GONE, it says "Some objects may not be available" or something of that nature anyway it also won't let me load my new family that I unfortunately had to create, it keeps shutting down then it goes "sims3 not working" it crashes is what I mean ever since I installed the animations and poses mods and then deleted them cause it made my game slow then my computer updated itself! Help me!

Sounds like your game has lost references to installed EPs, towns, and or CC. Try reinstalling any EPs and any towns/worlds you were using, then delete the five cache.package files in your "documents. ... \sims3" folder before starting the game again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nimrod2
Sounds like your game has lost references to installed EPs, towns, and or CC. Try reinstalling any EPs and any towns/worlds you were using, then delete the five cache.package files in your "documents. ... \sims3" folder before starting the game again.

it isn't the EP's as it was working last night, and all the CC I've downloaded is legit also I've deleted those flies loads of times they keep coming back
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 8:44 PM
it isn't the EP's as it was working last night, and all the CC I've downloaded is legit also I've deleted those flies loads of times they keep coming back

Those files are recreated every time you start the game, supposedly they track changes you make in the game so loading is quicker but they do not always update properly, especially when you have removed something (so the next time you start the game it may think you still have something when you don't). Some people recommend deleting them each time before playing; I've even seen .bat files which delete them then start the launcher. But definitely delete them after removing anything from the game.

Your EPs may still be installed (the files still in place) but if the files which tell the game they are installed are corrupt it will not recognize them. Same with installed worlds, the file(s) are physically present but the game doesn't know that (any save games from that world will not appear in the menu, but they are still in the save folder). I still recommend reinstalling your EPs and worlds; it won't hurt anything and might just clear your problem.

Once everything is working again, copy the entire Sims 3 folder from documents to a backup location; then if a major glitch occurs again, delete the entire Sims3 folder from documents and copy this one back in its place. You will only lose progress in your saves between the backup and present, but that's better than the saves possibly getting corrupt and losing everything. I back up my folder weekly, keeping the two most recent and deleting older ones.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 9:20 PM
I just don't understand why my families deleted and how can this not happen again? people say about the saves file and to delete or replace the .bak and I don't understand it all
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 9:35 PM
Those files are recreated every time you start the game, supposedly they track changes you make in the game so loading is quicker but they do not always update properly, especially when you have removed something (so the next time you start the game it may think you still have something when you don't). Some people recommend deleting them each time before playing; I've even seen .bat files which delete them then start the launcher. But definitely delete them after removing anything from the game.

Your EPs may still be installed (the files still in place) but if the files which tell the game they are installed are corrupt it will not recognize them. Same with installed worlds, the file(s) are physically present but the game doesn't know that (any save games from that world will not appear in the menu, but they are still in the save folder). I still recommend reinstalling your EPs and worlds; it won't hurt anything and might just clear your problem.

Once everything is working again, copy the entire Sims 3 folder from documents to a backup location; then if a major glitch occurs again, delete the entire Sims3 folder from documents and copy this one back in its place. You will only lose progress in your saves between the backup and present, but that's better than the saves possibly getting corrupt and losing everything. I back up my folder weekly, keeping the two most recent and deleting older ones.

Also what are the bat files
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 9:50 PM
I just don't understand why my families deleted and how can this not happen again? people say about the saves file and to delete or replace the .bak and I don't understand it all

If by families you mean the save game, if the town for that save is not recognized by the game, that save will not appear in the menu. Look in the save folder and see if it is still there. If so, reinstall the town, or the EP containing that town. Recently I had two games in Riverview disappear; Riverview was still in the "Installed Worlds" folder and the save games were still in the save folder, but they weren't in the menu. I reinstalled Riverview and all was well. (The missing references are, I believe, in the files in the "dbcache" folder; how this gets corrupted is beyond me.)

If you use "save", as opposed to "save as", a new folder is created for that save and the old save, which has the same name, has ".backup" appended to the filename. So if your save is "John Dough" you will have a "John Dough.sims3" folder in the save folder; If you save again that folder will be renamed to "John Dough.sims3.backup" and a new "John Dough.sims3" will be created. This way if your save game is corrupted you can just delete the most recent and edit the filename of the previous save to remove the ".backup"; you will lose all progress between those two saves but at least you still have the game. This way you always have a save and a backup. but only those two. If there is an issue saving a game, such as the dread "Error 12", you will find a "John Dough.sims3.bad" folder; you can delete any "bad" folders, there is no practical way of recovering such files.

I prefer using "save as" to save and assigning sequential filenames. For example "John dough 1", the next save that session would be "John Dough 1a", then "...1b", etc. The next time I play the first save would be "John Dough 2", then "...2a", and so on. Upon exiting I delete all the "John Dough 1" saves. On occasion I add notes, such as "...moving" to the name, so if something goes awry I can easily find the save to reload. This way you can have as many saves as you like.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 10:00 PM
What do u suggest I do though I don't know how to reinstall towns
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 10:37 PM
What do u suggest I do though I don't know how to reinstall towns

Some towns, such as Twinbrook, are part of EPs; you will have to reinstall the EP. Others, such as Riverview, are individual sims3pack files, just drop that file into the downloads folder and install from the launcher.

FTR, any time you install an EP, SP, or sims3pack, not only are files installed but references are placed (in the dbcache folder i think) telling the game these items are installed; if the game cannot read these references it no longer knows the files are installed even though they are physically still there. Other mods are .package files, which are merely placed in the "mods\packages" folder and require no referencing, the game automatically loads any package files it finds there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 11:17 PM
I uninstalled one of the eps that my towns people were deleted, now I am reinstalling it, hopefully that will fix it, I'll let you know how it goes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jul 2015 at 11:59 PM
Now it's taking forever to load I can't even get into my game
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 12:07 AM
Now it's taking forever to load I can't even get into my game

You may have to reinstall all the EPs you were using, if the references to one were corrupt it's possible they all were. But you shouldn't need to uninstall them first (I didn't).

Only once have I had my game stop loading, I ALT+TAB out and killed the process in task manager then restarted an it worked fine.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 1:12 AM
You may have to reinstall all the EPs you were using, if the references to one were corrupt it's possible they all were. But you shouldn't need to uninstall them first (I didn't).

Only once have I had my game stop loading, I ALT+TAB out and killed the process in task manager then restarted an it worked fine.

Don't really know what that means but I've been having to restart the game hoping it would load for hours now it gets right to the bottom and just doesn't move on to the game
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 1:21 AM
Also do u think it would be worth my while getting a new laptop or updating the ram and getting my own one fixed? It's still loading...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 1:22 AM
I really want my family back and I can't even see if I've got them back yet because the game is taking ages to load and probably won't load
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 2:06 AM
Ok I uninstalled the base game and am reinstalling it as we speak however i copied the mods folder and downloads folder, will my costume content be able to be installed by just putting back the downloads folder?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 8:21 AM
Had to reinstall the game and start all over again my families are gone
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 25th Jul 2015 at 9:15 PM
Had to reinstall the game and start all over again my families are gone

Your families should still be in your saved games. Since you did a complete reinstall you will also have to reinstall any CC you had. If you backed up the sims3 folder, copy the save folder into your new install and see if those games appear (if the town for a particular save is not reinstalled, that game will not appear in the menu, if a required EP is not yet reinstalled the save will appear but will give error messages if you try to load it). So if your saves are intact you have all your old games and families, it's just a matter of rebuilding your sims3 install to what it was previously.

As for memory, more is always helpful; the base game, with maybe a couple of EPs, will run with 2gig, but 4gig is recommended; and if you want to use all the EPs, SPs, play large worlds with large populations, etc. you should have 8gig at least.