Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2013 at 5:57 PM
Default Wall on half square grid.
Was just wishing to myself that we had the choice of putting a wall on the middle of the grid as well as both sides and it occurred to me that if someone had created an object that looked like a wall section, was recolorable like a wall section and sat in the middle of the square reaching the ends of its narrow sides of the square and lined them up short end to short end it would appear to be a wall. First of all, is there any reason why it could not be done? (I realize doors could be an issue but I have a few ideas on that but will worry about that later.) Secondly, if it can possibly be done am I a day late and a dollar short? Has someone already done it?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 6th Jun 2013 at 12:19 AM
I believe that it should be possible to make an object that looks like a wall and that sits anywhere on the grid. To make it support flooring above, I would suggest that you clone a column.

However, normal in-game walls are not objects and wallpaper is not a standard object recolor. That means that you'd have to create recolors for every wallpaper that you want to mimic. I suggest that you create your objects with two recolorable sections, so that each wall can have a color on the "inside" and a color on the "outside".

Another issue will be rooms. As far as I know, objects are never used in the calculation of rooms, so off-grid wall objects would not actually "enclose" anything. This affects things like privacy, lighting and weather-proofing.

There's also the issue of being able to place doors and windows. The standard game logic creates a "cut out" in the wall for each object. I don't know of any way to mimic this logic for an off-grid wall object.

Another option would be to create a wall or fence the normal way, but to offset the visible portion from the placement portion by a half-tile. I know that I've seen something similar to this, possibly by Numenor or niol, which offsets by 1 full tile. It might be worth considering this as an alternative.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jun 2013 at 3:31 AM
Default Thanks for reply.
I had already considered the column as the object of the cloning but it's good to know that I was on the right track. I also knew the game would not see it as a "room" created in such a way. I definitely would not want to use it as a bathroom and probably not even as a bedroom (maybe a nursery)LOL! The actual situation that made me wish I had something like that was to divide a laundry room from a hallway and part of the reason I had thought of the column is that you can create colonnades with arches so I could create the "door" this way. It would not be a door that would open and close but an arch. I haven't looked at Numenor's stuff in a long time so maybe I should check because it does seem like way more work than I want to get involved with only to move a wall the equivalent of a foot or so.
Site Helper
#4 Old 6th Jun 2013 at 4:11 PM
If you can't find the walls that I'm thinking about, let me know and I'll see if I can find them. Or, ask in WCIF.