Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 6:41 AM
This explains why I have alien trees in my game. I thought I'd installed some random world that had them on it and had uninstalled it without noticing. I hate how CC sneaks onto my system like that.

Well, it's pretty. I like the details on the landscaping and the terrain painting. The lakes are interesting, the domes cheezy but cute. All the new objects and the... very strange rabbithole-warp station things will be fun to play with.

But I would rather have had a different theme, and it's not how I myself would have made an 'Alien' world. All in all it's still pretty good looking for an EA world. I'm not paying that price for it though. I'll probably eventually get it, but... more than likely it'll just end up being what I ask for as a birthday present so I don't have to spend money and my family finally has something they can get me. (I'm hard to shop for.)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
They didn't mention that, so my guess would be "no." I have Hidden Springs, and the same thing happened to that one in regards to the auto-placement. I hate that feature. I wish there were a mod to deactivate that.

Urrgh.

I enjoy building and I don't usually mind throwing together my own lots but for $24 I want my lunar laundry and space cantina ready-to-go out the box.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 7:56 AM Last edited by Black Zekrom : 15th Feb 2012 at 8:33 AM.
Maybe I will get it JUST for the tiny Rabbit Hole Warp thingy and the Dome too! Because it will look perfect with my Futuristic World

ETA: It just me or the Terrain paint they use is very bright? I wonder how the animation if there's a X-Ray disaster in the hospital that small.

Me back after a long hiatus :)
Forum Resident
#54 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 11:17 AM
When are they releasing it, then?

Go suck an elf...
Field Researcher
#55 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 11:34 AM Last edited by Black Zekrom : 15th Feb 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by brillo_pad
When are they releasing it, then?

According to SimsVIP, Thursday 16 February

Me back after a long hiatus :)
Test Subject
#56 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 1:36 PM
Here's the link to the live show, for anyone curious. Looks cool.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#57 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 1:44 PM
I'm so tempted to get it. I'm fighting the urge because of the price, but it's so nice! And mind you, I'm not even all that much into sci-fi themes, but there's just something about this world that invites me to play it. It must have been the lengthy video, which gave me enough of a tour to know if I'd want it. I guess I can always treat the world like a Jetson's style of world sans the flying cars.

Also, for those of you thinking about getting it, now is the time to do so due to the 16th being the last day for the special 20% off Simpoints (code: SIMHEART). That's $4 off for a bundle of $20. The Future Shock sets will also be on sale via the Daily Deals to compliment the new release. God, now I sound like I'm advertising this.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 2:12 PM
Did anyone spot a hangout or "club" in town? It's a bit unrealistic, but I see quite a few parks (even on with nothing it it) but no place to go party.

And Future shock... <3 I should tear down the town and build it back up.

AND THAT REMINDS ME! This is the first cannon thing to come AFTER Sims 2 story lines since Don Lothario... or was it the Caliente Sisters. Why were they in Barnacle bay again?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#59 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 3:05 PM
There are no clubs or places to party from the looks of it.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
There are no clubs or places to party from the looks of it.

There are the beaches with loungers that can be used as party locations. Clubs, I think they didn't do because they came with an EP.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 4:03 PM
A possible gameplay idea I just had...

1) Clear the town of all the sims, and revamp the town to suit my tastes.
2) Create my own alien. Maybe a few, and place them around town. However, one of these aliens will have a ginormous compound for a house.
3) Using Twallan's Traveler, send that alien to various other towns already installed, and kidnap the local townies using the add-to household cheat.
4) Bring them back to the compound. Do wacky alien things to the abductees.

(I am thinking of getting this town for mah birthday next month, and skip Showtime at this time. The thing is, I am scared that this town might require the next patch, which is the whole point of skipping Showtime. I am just not ready to deal with that mess, even though I do want some of the items in that EP.)
Alchemist
#62 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 4:06 PM
I stopped watching the video right after the "guru" started making excuses as to why there were normal cars on the road, and why there were roaming wild horses. "Some escaped!" I know (or hope, anyway) she was being tongue in cheek but I'm kind of sick of being treated like a child.
Instructor
#63 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:19 PM
I watch the Lunar Lakes Livestream, it's totally ugly!!!

Mass Effect universe look far better than this.

For the EA's biggest franchise, how can they put a team of amateurs to make this world???
Alchemist
#64 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:22 PM Last edited by calisims : 15th Feb 2012 at 5:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
I stopped watching the video right after the "guru" started making excuses as to why there were normal cars on the road, and why there were roaming wild horses. "Some escaped!" I know (or hope, anyway) she was being tongue in cheek but I'm kind of sick of being treated like a child.

After I listened to that, my husband and I tried to work out why anyone would bring horses onto a space ship in the first place. We ended up with a nasty space slaughterhouse scenario. But even bringing live animals into space for meat is hugely impractical.

And I loved how she pointed out a house supported on one pole, and said the builders weren't constrained by normal gravity issues like they would be on normal worlds. So, the houses can defy gravity, but Sims and their sloppy jalopies are stuck with normal gravity.
Top Secret Researcher
#65 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz

This is my problem with the world and like you, I don't appreciate the silly explanation the sim Guru made. It makes no sense since this is supposed to be the far future. Why would they take century old cars with them...or horses? How strange.

The truth is EA did not make the Sims 3 to accommodate themes. The good news is there are some mods to help. There is a no car mod..not sure if it includes scooters or not but that might help. Twallan lets you eliminate the wild animals, and also keeps inactives from purchasing cars. You would also need to keep the schoolbus/carpool away and use a mod for that...and then there is that ice cream truck. LOL

I wouldn't mind demolishing everything in the world and making my own but not 100% happy with the way they did it. The portals seem like an easy way out of building new rabbitholes and the houses are okay, but not really that good. I have seen better. But I do like the crystals, the domes, those big pipes, and a few other objects. Is this worth $24? No way!
Mad Poster
#66 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
After I listened to that, my husband and I tried to work out why anyone would bring horses onto a space ship in the first place. We ended up with a nasty space slaughterhouse scenario. But even bringing live animals into space for meat is hugely impractical.

Maybe they brought the horses as pets, and they escaped and then managed to multiply themselves.
Alchemist
#67 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Maybe they brought the horses as pets, and they escaped and then managed to multiply themselves.

Live animals on a spaceship is hugely impractical. They'd have to bring food for them in huge quantities, have a way to deal with their waste, and create enough living space for them.
And of course it's not just horses, if you have Pets, there will be stray cats and dogs, small animals spawners for several species of snakes, turtles, lizards, rodents and birds, and unicorns who all escaped from the space ship after the crash.
There's no way to make any real sense of this mess.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 6:14 PM
I know that the Register mod works great on the wild animals (I really, really love that mod), but I never even thought about the animal spawners. But those critters are usually unnoticeable to me.

I think EsmeraldaF's Driveable Rocket would be really cute in this one.

(http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=467588)
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 6:31 PM
Live animals on a spaceship is hugely impractical. They'd have to bring food for them in huge quantities, have a way to deal with their waste, and create enough living space for them.
And of course it's not just horses, if you have Pets, there will be stray cats and dogs, small animals spawners for several species of snakes, turtles, lizards, rodents and birds, and unicorns who all escaped from the space ship after the crash.

Read the Pern books. The cars are outside cannon but livestock embryos have been written into Scifi books. Anne McCaffrey is well worth reading.
Alchemist
#70 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 6:40 PM
How would embryos escape after the ship crashed?

It would have made more sense if EA had gone with a planned colony scenario, where these Sims brought animal embryos with them intending to breed them once they landed. And certainly as a player, you can come up with whatever scenario you like for this world. But the scenario EA came up with is not a planned colony, but a ship that crashed, leaving the Sims stranded on this world unprepared and forced to develop a new society from what they had on the ship and could find in the world they found themselves in. And if you have Pets, they had live animals on board who escaped after the crash and now live in the wild.
Mad Poster
#71 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 6:50 PM
This World really lets you know EA messed the series. Because you primary source of obtaining minor pets is hunting, they have to spawn in the world: E.g. Cannot be bought. Now, wouldn't it be nice if EA patched in a feature to create alien worlds in CAW with certain features to remove animals spawners, taxis, and other obnoxious things from current worlds, seeing as we have most of the alien stuff anyway.

And if EA were going to give us free stuff anyway, wouldn't it be common sense to put the stuff already in the world file, not the patch, to justify the price? o_O
If your going to take advantage of us, by all means EA, do it right.

Alchemist
#72 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 6:54 PM
The sad thing bout minor pets is that they will spawn in any place where there are rock or insect spawners. Just play any custom world made before Pets, you'll find minor pets in any place where the world creator put rock spawners. So the only way to not have minor animals in the wild is to have no rock and insect spawners at all. And since the guru pointed out a location in Lunar Lakes with lots of rock spawners for collectors, that means there will be snakes, lizards, birds, etc.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 7:22 PM

You have to keep in mind that this space ship was more like the Star Trek Enterprise not like the NASA Enterprise. There's a food replicator in game, and waste can be used as fertilizer to grow yummy vegetables. Though, to e honest, those sims were really lucky to crashland on a strange planet capable of sustaining sim life.
Anyway, I'm thinking maybe some modder will make alien looking default replacements for some of those spawnable critters.
Top Secret Researcher
#74 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 8:13 PM
Well, according to the Guru, there is a gravity issue on the planet. Yet for some odd reason everything seems to survive just fine, except the trees which must be in domes.

As for animal embryos, why would they bring embryos of horses, cats and dogs (and various small critters) and not cows, pigs, sheep and other useful beasts? It would make more sense to populate the world with animals that give more products such as milk, leather, meat, etc. Yes, I know you could eat a horse, but given the choice between cattle and a horse, which would you choose?
Mad Poster
#75 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 8:43 PM
the Horse.

Page 3 of 10