Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#101 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 10:39 AM
I thought I'd test it for you jo, but my tests are proving unhelpful as I am able to place a car in every single test. Maybe it's because I only have one apartment on the lot, no idea, but no time to figure it out further
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#102 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 10:44 AM
Yeah, you can buy a car after you've moved into an apartment with a garage. CulMiku, are you sure you're clicking on buy mode and the picture of the car and not build mode and the picture of the garage?
Mad Poster
#103 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 11:11 AM
One thing I did find that might be interesting, was that with a door to the garage from the apartment it affected rental price, but without one it didn't. Makes sense, and may be obvious, but since I was able to place a car in both circumstances, would be one way to reduce rent.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#104 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 12:01 PM
Yes because rental price is calculated on the entire space of the apartment. Without a door into the garage it becomes common area and that is all free.

Thanks gummilutt. I do remember testing it but can't remember if I did it as both a residential and as an apartment lot, but I probably would have done it as an apartment, just my bad memory.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#105 Old 29th Oct 2014 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
What did I discover about TS2 today? That I have lost interest in it

Nooo! It's just a passing phase - I keep wandering away and then returning, as I'm sure we all have in the past (good grief) TEN years. But there's still nothing better on the market to replace it and there are also still a million different things left to do and see.

So, keep on simming, leefish - I (and a multitude of others) appreciate every little cupboard knob, sofa foot and tap recolour that good creators spend their precious time making! In fact, nothing peeves me more than having a great sofa with feet a shade that doesn't quite match any of the five hundred or so floors I must have in my game. (it's not an addiction - I could give up hoarding downloads any time I want... just a few more GB and that'll be it... honest... actually, I'm fairly sure I can still compressorize a few more things to fit in there... )
Scholar
#106 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 4:46 AM
My pet peeve is that child Sims never to get enough to do. For example why can they play piano and violin but not guitar? One of my first disappointments with Sims 2, when I was trying to re-create the families I'd had in Sims 1, was that the kids couldn't use the guitars. One of my Sims 1 girls could play like the ghost of Hendricks, so why in Hades shouldn't she be able to do the same in Sims 2? Also why can't kids get jobs? A paper round perhaps? But I had rather grander ideas. Since I had a Shirley Temple Sim in my game why shouldn't she follow the show business career, or better still the movie star career I recently downloaded. There are child stars in real life, and Shirley was the brightest of them all. Sadly this remains a dream. Thanks a lot EA!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#107 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 5:43 AM
You have to be creative and think outside of the game mechanics.

Paper rounds belong to the teens-you know the NPC paper boy/girl, so it would not be done by children. I certainly wouldn't let any child of mine in rl do a paper round by themselves. With the guitar I assume it is to do with size and animations. The violin is coded to be smaller when a child plays it the guitar came with uni and was probably coded for YA +.

Kids can sell lemonade, they can bake muffins and those can be set for sale if the parent owns a business. Kids can also use the microphone, so again if the parent owns a business get them up on a stage using the mic. If you want it to feel more realistic and have time to do this every day as a job set them to the Simlogical flexi school and homeschool them. Regular kids have too much time taken up with school and homework to be working a job as well. Most child stars have a tutor on set and the industry also has strict rules of how long children can work-child labour laws and all of that. Once you have a few kids on flexi school, build a stage and film a story. In a business you can sell tickets. Set it to relaxation on the MATY bushiness selector and sims will arrive low on comfort and gravitate to the chairs you placed in front of the stage and actually sit down for the show.

edit: Something i just added in yesterday is a global mod to make all cash registers also have a training function and it can be used by kids. Any badge they earn as a child will show up once they teen. So while they can't ring up customers at their parents store they can be in training. https://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=215415 havn't tried it out yet as it's a brand new hood with no children yet so i hope it works.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#108 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
havn't tried it out yet as it's a brand new hood with no children yet so i hope it works.

Yep, it does work well, I have this mod too since a while.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#109 Old 30th Oct 2014 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
edit: Something i just added in yesterday is a global mod to make all cash registers also have a training function and it can be used by kids. Any badge they earn as a child will show up once they teen. So while they can't ring up customers at their parents store they can be in training. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=215415 havn't tried it out yet as it's a brand new hood with no children yet so i hope it works.
Thanks for that link Jo. I think I'll use that one instead of Pescado's smarter cashier which I'd just downloaded. When I was a child my sister had a toy cash register that I enjoyed playing with. How much better to play with a real one!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
Original Poster
#110 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 7:24 PM
When you're beginning to build a new lot and THERE ARE FREAKING BUTTERFLIES FLYING IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU NEED TO PUT A WALL IN!!!!

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Mad Poster
#111 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty
When you're beginning to build a new lot and THERE ARE FREAKING BUTTERFLIES FLYING IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU NEED TO PUT A WALL IN!!!!

Woah! you have butterflies without flowers? magic...

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#112 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 10:23 PM
That^ does peeve me as I've had it a few times.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#113 Old 1st Nov 2014 at 11:15 PM
Its annoyed me many times that I can't place a wall or foundation where I want because of butterflies.
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Its annoyed me many times that I can't place a wall or foundation where I want because of butterflies.

YES! THIS.
Theorist
#115 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kankritty

This must only happen with a Sim on the Lot because I never have this happen when I start a new Lot.
Lab Assistant
#116 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 12:55 AM
NPCs! I DON'T WANT YOU HERE! GO AWAY!

How easy it is to corrupt a town. Not that I've done it, but I'm scared I'll accidentally corrupt a town...

It's so hard to build a split-level house, for me anyway. I can't get my head around the cheat and the tutorial.
Mad Poster
#117 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 1:34 AM
They're rare butterflies, and the lot has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest. That's why you can't build a wall there.

Protect SimNation's wildlife!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#118 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 2:47 AM
I hate how my sims still have the option to "study" all the skills they have already learned.
Logically, if your sim is skill 10 in cleaning, the option to study it should not be there.

Field Researcher
#119 Old 2nd Nov 2014 at 6:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I hate how my sims still have the option to "study" all the skills they have already learned.
Logically, if your sim is skill 10 in cleaning, the option to study it should not be there.

Reading the cleaning book still earns you nature enthusiasm. I have used that once in a while during the winter, even though my sim was maxed in the skill.
Inventor
#120 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 12:11 PM
I had quite a few peeves but almost all of them have been modded out of the game. The only real one that remains has already been mentioned here - "time traveling". I had a mod (from MATY?) for that as well, but it kept crashing my game and I had to abandon it. (The modder made it clear that it was an alpha. I don't think he or she ever finished it.)

The only other solution I could think of is to simply send my Sim to sleep until the time he was supposed to return; then I set his energy to the "return level" (usually he was exhausted, of course) and let him sleep as long as it takes. Not elegant but it does the trick.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#121 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 12:51 PM
Do you mean Community lot time? That works perfectly well.

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#122 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 1:24 PM
Time on community lots works fine, yes. The problem is the time when a Sim returns home. E.g., he leaves at 7 PM, has a good time on one or several community lots until 3 AM on the next day but comes back at the time he started out, at 7 PM (plus some minutes, but that's the time he used for exit and reentry) on what is by now the previous day, thus traveling back in time.
Mad Poster
#123 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 1:32 PM
This is kind of really annoying, OR quite convenient in some occasions.
But I wonder, the mod you are talking about Pico22...only the time on the clock would match the time they are supposed to come back (let's say +1hour to travel back home), and what about the rest of the family members if they didn't come? No changes for them I suppose, if you left and bro was eating his mac&cheese, he is still eating it when you come back?

Inventor
#124 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 5:20 PM Last edited by pico22 : 5th Nov 2014 at 5:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
This is kind of really annoying, OR quite convenient in some occasions.
But I wonder, the mod you are talking about Pico22...only the time on the clock would match the time they are supposed to come back (let's say +1hour to travel back home), and what about the rest of the family members if they didn't come? No changes for them I suppose, if you left and bro was eating his mac&cheese, he is still eating it when you come back?

I can't really answer that because, as I said, the mod kept crashing my game and anyway, it was a while ago.. As far as I can remember the mod, after you sent your Sim back, put you (the player, not the Sim) on the home lot and fast-forwarded the game though, if other Sims were there, you could slow the game down and play them normally until the Sim who had left rejoined them. I believe that the concept was well thought through but, as I said ...
Mad Poster
#125 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 7:06 PM
I believe what jo was trying to say that if the mod you meant is the one called Community lot time, there is nothing wrong with the hack as many people here use it without a problem. If it crashed for you, it was most likely a conflict or a problem with your game, rather than faulty mod.
Page 5 of 274