Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2010 at 5:46 PM
Default LN Full body towel copped to lower body
I was wondering if there is a way to reduce the LN full body towel outfit to only a lower body part? I'm guessing by editing the mesh, but I'm not sure. If so, is there a tutorial showing the right way to modify it?
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 1:28 AM
Without having actually looked at the outfit itself, I'm pretty sure it would involve modifying both the mesh and the texture. You'd probably have to chop off the upper body and Frankenstein the lower half with the nude top, and rebuild all the morphs. It's not a beginner project. If you want to get started, here's a tutorial on Frankensteining a toddler mesh: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=397088

You'd have to also make the fat/fit/thin and optionally pregnant morph meshes and here's a few tutorials on making pregnant morphs; the other morphs work basically the same way: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=397260, http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=398865

I've heard this kind of thing is easier to do using TSR Workshop than with CTU and MorphMaker, but I've never used it myself. I'm sure our advanced meshing experts like BloomsBase will step in with some advice.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 2:21 AM
''Blush'' thank you Cmar

Chopping off the upperbody of the mesh is easy and even the seam has prolly the same ammount of vertices to connect to a nude top.
But i suspect the vertice positions of the seam will be diffrent.(for the base mesh and its morphs)
Those you need to adjust with a reference bottom in the background, you might pull this of as a beginner with Wes H his merge tools.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=398865

However....the lower detail fullbody meshes will be so messed up arround the waist(seam) and hard to fix.(both the mesh and uvmap)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 5:28 PM
Thanks a lot, I'll try to see how it works.
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 8:09 PM
TSRW:
Clone the LN fullbody and extract its meshes at the mesh tab(try to do the high lod1 first) and save them.
no need to save the oufit(clone) but you might want to export and save its textures(you need them on the bottom later)
Clone a base game bottom and extract its meshes(High lod1) and save them, take a skintight bottom(at the waist)
Save the outfit as WRK file, we need it later.

Milkshape:
Make sure you have installed the correct plugins for TSRW's WSO(mesh) files
They are located in TSRW's program directory

Import the skintight bottom mesh
Import the fullbody LN mesh
You now have 10 meshgroups in Milkshape.
Chop off the upperbody from the LN meshes
Select all meshes and hide them.
Unhide the base mesh and follow the above tutorial to fix the seam on the waist.
When done hide both base meshes and do the same with the fat state, then the thin etc etc.
When done delete the basegame bottoms(the ones you used as reference)
Export the new LN bottom

TSRW:
Open your earklier saved WRK file(bottom) and import the new LN bottom in the mesh tab.(high lod)
Import all necesarry LN textures in the texture tab.
See how it looks, then update the texture files by removing the upperbody textures on the DDS files.
You need to do the multiplier/mask and specular
This will keep you busy for a while
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 5:09 PM
Thank you very much for the instructions Bloom! I wouldn't have done it without your help. And yours of course Cmar! The end result is starting to look like what I imagined. But I do have some other questions to perfect my first creation. Bloom, you said I had to remove the upperbody textures. But do I just need to cut everything (mask, multiplier and spectacular) in half? And secondly, do I need to repeat these same steps for the low and medium detailed mesh?
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 7:47 PM
If you want to update the textures you best extract the uvmap of your new mesh.
-save the bottom as ms3d file with Milkshape
-open it with lithunwrap
-export the uvmap
That uvmap you can use as template to update the mask/multiplier and spec.

And yes, you need to repeat all those meshing steps for the lod2 and 3.(exept the texturing)
In general those lod meshes are alot more difficult to cut in half....dont know bout the towell.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 2:19 PM
Thanks for the fast reply. Lod3 seems to be a bit tricky, TSRW keeps telling me that my verticescount doesn't match (195). I've tried to redo my steps by leaving some in or deleting some extra. But every time it seems that my count is either too low or too high. Do I need to use Wesley Howe's Sims3 VertexID Autonum?

Somehow this cow learned to talk...
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 2:59 PM
The fatmorph cutting in half is sometimes a bit tricky.
You can choose selpolycount from the tool menu to check wich morph is incorrect.

You do not have to use Wes his autonumtool, TSRW autorenumbers the moment you reimport the meshfile in your WRK file.
Theorist
#10 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 12:30 AM
Because the towel has a nude top there's no need to edit the textures, I think Bloom was just referring to in general (say you're taking the pants from a full body suit)

Hi I'm Paul!