Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 6:34 AM
.Package files and my Game Slowness
So yes, I know there are already multiple threads about this subject in particular and a bunch of tutorials/help threads, but none of them really give me helpful explanations, it's more or less the same stuff over and over again, and I'm just wondering if there is something that I missing- some awesome grand solution to my problem that's sitting right in front of me but I just can't see it!

So basically my problem is this:

My game lags. BAAAAAAAAAD.
I have around 140 .package files. They're mostly hairs and pose packs, but I also have a few things like morphead's reflective floors and clothes/sims by traelia, Anubis, and other people like that. A good 30% is hair from raonsims. Just an f.y.i.

Along with the .package files, I have a bunch of .sims3pack stuff installed. Here's how I know the .sims3pack's aren't the problem.
I don't know why, but I thought I'd funked up with the resource.cfg. My CC had been working in game beforehand (even though I never got to enjoy it because of the intense lag and 5-hour-long-loading screen) but I somehow got it in my head that the resource.cfg was in the wrong place. So I moved it into my packages folder and ALL of my .package files automatically stopped working, much to my surprise. Because I'm dumb.
But what surprised me even more was the fact that my game only took 15 minutes to load instead of LITERALLY 5 hours! And when the game finally loaded, the game played quick and easy for me with minor lag and no crashes or bugs. So I played around for a couple of hours and made an edited town and stuff, then quit and moved my resource.cfg file back to get my packages working again. Well when I tried reloading the game, it was the same old story. Launcher randomly crashed (but sometimes worked), game loaded to a black screen where I had to wait for 15 minutes for the first loading screen to the main menu, then when I got to the main menu it told my my disk wasn't in the tray- which it didn't do when I had my package files removed. So I had to reload again and eject/re-enter the disk at the first black screen so the game would read it, then in the second loading screen that loads to the town, it took 5 long hours again.
I've tried deleting CC, but I've cut myself to my own bare minimum, and I'm BEGGING somebody- ANYBODY!- to help me!

I have a Mac version 10.5.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4
Serial Number (system): W8801MX8X85
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC20C04D9

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT:

Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2400
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x94c8
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250A-207
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.207
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

I really don't want to have to download Wine or Boot Camp or one of those other Windows-enabling programs to use something. Is there anything for Macs like mine that can help??

(P.S. If there are any other things you need to see about my computer, I'll try to post them. Just let me know!)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 8:43 AM
"I'm just wondering if there is something that I missing- some awesome grand solution to my problem that's sitting right in front of me but I just can't see it!"

No, there is not.

You said your game takes 15min to load without CC. That by itself is a very, very very long time. Without CC it takes me just under a minute to load the game. 5min with CC. The reason for that is that your computer just barely meets the minimum requirements for the game.

So you have basically two factors compounding the slowness.

1. Your CC.
2. Your hardware.

It's difficult to say if there's corrupted or incompatible CC in your 140 files or if just the fact that you have 140 files is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Just to give you an idea, I have 262 .package files.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Dec 2012 at 4:05 PM
I never even thought of 15 minutes as a long time because everything else seemed to take much longer to load Dx

Well damn. I hate cleaning out custom content. Not sure if my .sims3packs have a limit on this computer but there doesn't happen to be a way to convert .packages into .sims3packs does there? I'm guessing no...