Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 3:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Clean Installer can't find the Download folder
This is on my daughter's computer. I installed Base Game and Pets for her which has been working fine. Now she wants cc like she sees me use, so I downloaded 7z as WinRAR didn't want to install, but 7z is working and the cc shows up in her game. Today I installed Clean Installer for her, opened it and went to show her how her downloads would show up when you select Downloads in the window but nothing showed up. I've only just showed her how to download so she only has a couple of hairs and some default pet eyes, but none of those showed up in Clean Installer although they are in her game and working fine. She wanted to put on a wolf from the pets section but again Clean Installer can't find where to send the file to in her game. Her game is on C drive and Clean Installer is on her desk top. I've always used Clean Installer on my own desktop with no worries so I'm wondering what do I have to do to make it see her game?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 4:32 AM
The Clean Installer is probably having problems finding the save game. You can find out where it believes that the save game is by trying to install something; then check out the installation path.

You can edit the S2PCI.ini file using Notepad and set the save game path. Just change:
SaveGamePath=
to:
SaveGamePath="C:\Users\<userid>\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2"
or whatever your actual save game path is.

After that, the default should always be correct.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 5:37 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Where do I find this S2PCI.ini file, as I have no idea. Why would Clean Installer not automatically find her Download folder? I've never had this trouble on my own computer.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Site Helper
#4 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 1:16 AM
It should be in the Clean Installer folder.

The Clean Installer looks for your installation path in the standard location in the registry. Several people have had this problem recently, which makes me wonder whether there is some alternate registry layout that the Clean Installer needs to handle.

For example, this might have something to do with 32-bit vs 64-bit, or Windows XP vs 7 vs 8, or separate EPs vs. collection packs.

If you were interested in helping, I could tell you the logic that the CI uses to generate the save game path. Then, you might be able to see where the CI is going wrong. An alternative is to export a few registry keys and attach the resulting text file, which I could look over to see whether I can find the problem.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 2:31 AM
Oh Mootilda, you're talking to a computer dummy, you need to tell me like you would a 12 year old I don't even know what a registry key is. I think the only technical thing I do is the occasional defrag and a full scan-which isn't exactly technical. My husband's tech friend does anything that needs doing.

After hunting around I found it! I got tricked up into hunting for 'Clean Installer' when I should have looked for Sims2Pack Clean Installer. Okay so I found my own files on my D drive (game is also on D drive) as well as that S2PCI.ini file. It has a cog wheel on it and mine doesn't even have a path on it. I'm on a 64 bit Windows 7 I know that, but I'm not sure what hers is. All I installed on hers was Base game and Pets (Both old original disks. All mine are on individual disks bought as they came out, no collections.)

This is what's on my S2PCI.ini file
[CONFIG]
AutoInstallLotFiles=False
SaveGamePath=""

[Subfolders]

I'll go see if I can find hers. Also by notepad, do you mean type in notepad and copy paste C:\Users\<userid>\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 into the S2PCI file?

Edit: Her Clean Installer is on C drive as is her game and her file looks the same as mine. I notice she does not have Program Files (x86) like I have so does that mean hers is a 34 bit?

~Call me Jo~
Site Helper
#6 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 4:22 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 1st Nov 2013 at 4:43 AM.
Yes, just open the S2PCI.ini file using Notepad, change the SaveGamePath line by adding the full path to your save game inside of the quotes, save and exit. From that point on, the Clean Installer will default to the path that you specified, rather than looking for the path in your system registry.

Yes, it sounds like hers is 32-bit and yours is 64-bit. However, we know that 32-bit usually works, so I doubt that's the problem. Still, you aren't the first person to report the problem, although it's pretty rare. I'm convinced that there's a non-standard registry key being used on some people's systems.

It's probably better if I can get the registry keys from someone who is having the problem, but who understands how to export keys from the registry. Touching the registry is a bit dangerous and I wouldn't want to be responsible if something went wrong.