Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#26 Old 26th Dec 2008 at 9:28 AM
The sims only swim when they have used an object such as a ladder or diving board that instructs them to change to swimming animations. Otherwise they will treat the pool just like another room. The bottom of the pool in later EPs is regarded as ground level, and the seams of the grid have been unpicked to allow the ground to be at this lower level without a slope leading to it. The pool walls hide the hole.

In earlier EPs the bottom of the pool made a below-ground level, and the ground grid continued over the top of the pool, but with the terrain skin deleted.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 21st Mar 2009 at 11:39 PM
Niol asked me to post this response on his behalf.
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
If I wanted to make walls that looked and build exactly like the swimming pool walls, but don't fill with water, is this where I should start poking my nose in at? What tells the game to put pool water there?

If you want the unlocked swim-pool wall, a potential risk is that game copies without definition of unlocked swim-pool walls can crash with lots made of such wall.

If you want to make new swimpool walls, there are 2 common routines.
1. copy the swimpool wall definition but should alter the number "n" of the "Wall n" in the copy. The value of "n" should not be any default partition numbers or registered custom "wall n" (infos can be found in Numenor's repository wall thread). I'm unsure if such additional partition has the same potential risk as the unlocked swim-pool wall. However, such wall should theoretically retain the caustic animation without a caustic recolour mod like the one I made or a swim-pool block on the screen.
2. copy the default wall 1 defintion but replace the value of "DefaultPattern" with the swim-pool wall's in the copy. The value of "n" should not be any default partition numbers or registered custom "wall n" (infos can be found in Numenor's repository wall thread). I'm still unsure if such additional partition has the same potential risk as the unlocked swim-pool wall, but I guestimate it should be safer than the previous approach when this does matter. On an another hand, such wall should theoretically retain the caustic animation with a caustic recolour mod like the one I made or a swim-pool block on the screen.

If you simply just want a swim-pool look room with default wall 1 wall, then you may try out the caustic wallpaper and tile sets I've released here. Those are customly modded HCP wallpapers and floor tiles. The textures are only referenced from the in-game files of the base game, so they work for all games. But if the caustic animation of that set interests you, you'll need the caustic recolour mod and its host object, Numenor's Matte sphere, mentioned and linked among the set description.
A "recolour mod" is a mod and a recolour itself of an object host. It is the recolour that gives out the effects of a mod but not the object host itself. The object host is just a vector/medium/vehicle/container to get/bring/take the recolour mod to be present in-game to cause the effects.
BTW, such mod is "invisible", so the host object won't be seen after recoloured but occupies a grid/square.

If you want to remove the swim-pool surface (where the wavy animation and/or the pool reflection be at) and the swim-pool depth layers in a given lot, you may ask Mootilda how to mod the pool-layer file in a lot package file. Sorry, My more powerful PC is out of order presently, so I can't show you how shortly.
Normally, just either relocate or omit such layers, or simply replace the file with an earlier copy made before the build of a swimpool.

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Field Researcher
#28 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 5:09 PM Last edited by Train_guy : 27th Jul 2010 at 2:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to say somthing
"gozig86,

This's the attic wall script I use and this can be an example:

# attic walls
wall 3
defaultPattern "blank"
wallThickness standard
mayChangeSurface true
mayAttachObjects true
mayCutAway true
requiresFlatBottom false
requiresFlatTop false
submersible true
verticalSpan floorToRoof
#verticalSpan floorToFloor
deleteTools roof partition
requiresSupportUnderneath false
bearsLoad true
catalogTextIndex 6
#notInCatalog
thumbnailResource 0x499db772 0xe9261575"

Is there a Mansions And Gardens Stuff, or Apartment Life expansion friendly version of this script?

EDIT on July 27th at 6:21AM Arizona time: I just remembered my reason why that question, if you have Mansions And Gardens Stuff, or the Apartment Life expansion pack, when you put up a wall, or bulid a room with this wall type, it appears in the game as the height of the base game wall height.
Test Subject
#29 Old 15th Mar 2011 at 5:30 AM Last edited by Mauiman : 15th Mar 2011 at 5:40 AM.
with understanding that this thread not having any kind of a reply for over 7 months I am posting here what I have found that worked and worked like a charm.

Hello there I have decided to try this one out which what I have wound up doing was that I put this in the walls.txt

wall 3
defaultPattern "blank"
wallThickness standard
mayChangeSurface true
mayAttachObjects true
mayCutAway true
requiresFlatBottom true
requiresFlatTop true
submersible false
deleteTool partition
thumbnailResource 0 0x499db772 0xe9261348
thumbnailResource 1 0x499db772 0xe9261347
thumbnailResource 2 0x499db772 0xfeed5515
thumbnailResource 3 0x499db772 0xfeed5510
catalogTextIndices 0 1 2 3

and well the result was this:

If you wish to have the file it's self. Then here is mine

[Edit]
Yes this is Mansions and Gardens Stuff friendly. I have tested it on that very expansion and I would imagine that it is do able on all the rest of the lot as well.

I have also forgotten to tell you the installation path of this file
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\Catalog\Scripts

Like what I said I would imagine that it would be working on all the rest of the lot.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  walls.zip (1.8 KB, 26 downloads) - View custom content
Description: My Walls file. Enjoy
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 9:09 AM Last edited by Pirat3 : 7th Feb 2015 at 2:25 PM.
This is somewhat off-topic, but is there a similar setting for RequiresSupportUnderneath for objects? I know that usually the object's BHAV-codes control how an object can be placed. I want an object to be placed on a level where there are no floor-tiles. Until now I've used the MoveObjects cheat for this. However, there still lie some challenges ahead with the "supposed-to-be-levitating" object that I'm modifying and it's starting to get teadious to enter this input each time I place it on a lot.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 7th Feb 2015 at 6:16 PM
"My 0x002A Set Flag Literal Value 0x000A - allow in air" did the trick
Page 2 of 2