Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 1:04 PM
Default Packaging a house/splitting archives
Okay! Thank you Lidiqnata, I think this is probably the most appropriate place for my questions.

Hi- I'm busy trying to upload a fairly large house here on MTS2.
The uploader says my file is too large + to split the archives, but how would I go about splitting this up for a house? It's 224 MB.

Last question is, is this the type of file that needs to be uploaded? I.e. Is the type of package you upload as a .rar for a house a 'Sims 2 installable package'? Or do you need to convert it to a Sims2Pack? Sorry for being so clueless!

Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 1:34 PM
Is there a lot of cc in the package? It's a bit odd for a lot to be too large. You can't split the actual lot, but you could upload the cc seperatly.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Is there a lot of cc in the package? It's a bit odd for a lot to be too large. You can't split the actual lot, but you could upload the cc seperatly.

There is quite a lot of CC, yes. That actually would probably work very well. How could I separate the CC// put it into a file?
I've already got an unfurnished + furnished version of the house, I could upload the unfurnished and have users download the CC as an extra option..
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 1:51 PM
You could use Clean Installer:
1. Take everything out of your Downloads folder
2. Install your own house using Clean Installer - what will happen is that CI will put all the files currently in the house file into your Downloads folder. You can then zip them up separately. But with so many, frankly, I'd check what you have in there and make sure there is nothing in the packed up lot file that doesn't need to be there (extra recolours for both custom and EAxis meshes for example) or anything else that might piggy back into a packed house file.
3. You can then clean the download file for the lot using Clean Installer again. Select the lot only and resave the file.

You will need a complete list of CC and links to it for the Download thread. You can include the Downloads themselves in a separate zip.

Quote: Originally posted by ohcay
I've already got an unfurnished + furnished version of the house, I could upload the unfurnished and have users download the CC as an extra option..

But the unfurnished version will not contain any coding telling the game where to put the CC. That would be pointless I think.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 1:59 PM
There is no way that your house upload should exceed the 50MB limit! I wonder whether you have packaged it correctly? Did you package it from your game? It should be a sims2package file. Are you using the Clean installer?
There are instructions in the Creator Guidelines on how to package and present your house for upload, please take a look at them.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 9:08 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 7th Nov 2015 at 12:44 AM.
I see this all the time on sites other than MTS and it's one of my biggest pet peeves. Maxon already touched on a probable reason, which is unused recolors attaching themselves to the lot.

Say you use pixelhate's 1-tile poster and a grafitti recolor. EVERY SINGLE RECOLOR you have of that mesh will attach itself to the lot, whether you used it or not. The same thing can happen with any other mesh you have AND with *Maxis recolors you've downloaded. What you need to do is open the lot with CleanInstaller and UNcheck everything you didn't use then save the lot with a different name. I usually add "Cleaned" to the end of it so I know which is which. It's somewhat of a pain in the butt - you need to know which recolors you've used of a mesh and there are times recolors are very similar (you might have 2 white recolors for example) and you might not know which one you've used. You CAN preview them in CleanInstaller - the texture will usually show up, which can help. (Not all recolors will show in the preview.) In a case like this, leaving 2 white recolors in the package and stating that you aren't sure which one you used won't hurt anything. It's the leaving every unused recolor that makes the lot file so large.

*Maxis recolors - the biggest offenders there are recolors of the trash can and mailbox. If you didn't use recolors of either of those two (I never do!) you can safely uncheck every single one of those. Oh, and modular stair recolors.. forgot about those. Thanks Jo for reminding me!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 9:22 PM
Hi guys! Much more response, so thank you a lot. I didn't even think about the extra recolors in there so tonight I'll probably go back in and check through them once more. Yes, I was using Clean Installer- but when I would save the file, it appeared as the type pictured above. I didn't know if that is the correct format or not. It took a month to build a scaled, re-decorated version of the House of Trees and darn it, I'm determined to make this upload work but I'm kind of new to dealing with houses. I'll update later! Thank you guys.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 10:26 PM
Even if you could upload it, they will send it right back for you to remove the unused recolours. let me tell you doing the 'figure which one is the unused recolour' dance' is no fun at all!
This is what I do.
1. Package up your lot and upload it some place that can take a heap of files. Box should I think.
2.Use AGS or rename your sims 2 folder so it makes you a new one. In both cases you have an empty download folder.
3. Install the lot with all it's cc into this clean game. The only cc will be what comes with your game.
4. Delete all unused recolours in game. You do that by placing down that counter that came with 20 recolours, use the colour tool to change it's colour and click delete if that colour was not used. Then you know for sure that your download folder only has the recolour that you used.
4. Or find the creator who made those 20 counter recolours, paste the link someplace. I use Word. Remove all the recolours from your CI package. Then when you upload your lot you simply give a link saying 'counter recolours can be found here'. I did that with a set of chair recolours for my school because I really could not tell out of 5 shades of green and blue and yellow ect what shade I had used.
5. use CI and make sure every other piece of cc not used is gone. Lots will try and bring every modular stair recolour, every bin/trash can recolour and every mail box recolour that you have into the package.
6.Make sure that the cc you used is really needed. If maxis content will work instead use that.

What I do these days is I use a clean Any game Starter and I only put cc that my lot is using into the download folder. Rather than use what I have I go and look for any item that I need and I paste the link into Word. That way I know who made it, where it came from and if the creator has a free to use policy since you can only use cc that the creator says is okay to upload in lots or if the creator has no policy at all. This makes it so easy when the cc page in the upload wizard comes up since you know exactly what to put in there. If a creator says no uploading and you really want that cc in your lot you remove it in CI and simply give the link and let the downloaders go and get it. if a downloader goes and downloads the cc and then installs your lot the cc will still show up in your lot even though you removed in it CI. It's a handy trick.

That is the correct picture. Once you have your lot clean and ready you simply right click it and choose 'add to archive' from the drop down list. This Rars the file ready for upload here.

I just checked my water park on here. It's the biggest lot size and has a small list of cc with it. it's size is only 3.50 MB

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 6th Nov 2015 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I just checked my water park on here. It's the biggest lot size and has a small list of cc with it. it's size is only 3.50 MB

I know - 224MB!!!?? Polgannon is an entire neighbourhood and THAT came in under 50MB (one file).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 9th Nov 2015 at 9:49 PM
Yeah, there is something fishy here and it's not Cornwall. :P

~Call me Jo~