Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 1:45 PM Last edited by Delphy : 6th Aug 2006 at 1:59 PM.
Default August MTS2 Changes
Hi All,

Time for another update in the land of MTS2. The changes in the past couple of days are:
  • The old normal vBulletin search has been removed from the Download page and replaced with the Beta Search.
  • Added Search Downloads (linking to the Beta Search) to the Search dropdown in the navbar
  • Added option in the footer next to the style dropdown to link to the other style-related settings
  • Added option on download pages to show Download FAQ links for all members that displays till a month after they join.
  • Added option so that all people who have joined in the past year, and all those who join from now on, MUST read and acknowledge the site rules and guidelines and other points on the user profile page before they are allowed to post or reply.

This last point is bound to cause some friction, but the way I see it, far too many join here, don't read the rules or are too lazy to read the rules, then go and post rubbish. This causes lots of workload for our staff and problems for people whose threads they post in. While I realise that some people simply don't read, at least making it so they must read something is better than nothing.

Also, I'd like to point out the alternative MTS2 display styles. You are all probably used to the "Rounded Corners" style, but there is a (cleaner, in my opinion) alternative out there - the "Box Style". This brings the download/core pages more in line with the rest of the site in terms of look and feel. You can see more information here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=128246

Currently in the works are a revamped Upload system and yet more optimisations to try and make the site not slow to a crawl as traffic increases.

Regards,
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Hi All,

Time for another update in the land of MTS2. The changes in the past couple of days are:
  • The old normal vBulletin search has been removed from the Download page and replaced with the Beta Search.
  • Added Search Downloads (linking to the Beta Search) to the Search dropdown in the navbar
  • Added option in the footer next to the style dropdown to link to the other style-related settings
  • Added option on download pages to show Download FAQ links for all members that displays till a month after they join.
  • Added option so that all people who have joined in the past year, and all those who join from now on, MUST read and acknowledge the site rules and guidelines and other points on the user profile page before they are allowed to post or reply.

This last point is bound to cause some friction, but the way I see it, far too many join here, don't read the rules or are too lazy to read the rules, then go and post rubbish. This causes lots of workload for our staff and problems for people whose threads they post in. While I realise that some people simply don't read, at least making it so they must read something is better than nothing.

Also, I'd like to point out the alternative MTS2 display styles. You are all probably used to the "Rounded Corners" style, but there is a (cleaner, in my opinion) alternative out there - the "Box Style". This brings the download/core pages more in line with the rest of the site in terms of look and feel. You can see more information here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=128246

Currently in the works are a revamped Upload system and yet more optimisations to try and make the site not slow to a crawl as traffic increases.

Regards,
Delphy

thanks delphy i love this site and i have been here for a long time now i just dont post much..
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 4:24 PM
Thank you so much for the extra "downloads" search bar, i always wanted this. I hate going into "advanced search" all the time. thanks!!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 4:40 PM
I think these features are great, and I understand how the traffic causes a high ammount of workload on both the servers, and the admins/mods. Lets hope these help MTS2 through.

Check out my uploads here!
Feel free to email, PM, or IM me!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 6:13 PM
Sounds good. That last one is one I've been wanting for a while. Hardly anyone reads those.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Scholar
#6 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 6:37 PM
I love the changes regarding the search features!
Ans it's also a good to have people read the rules before quick-replying
Forum Resident
#7 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 7:12 PM
Anything that helps the site is fine by me!

It is too bad some people post bad things for no reason, but I guess this will help inform people about the rules.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 7:32 PM
Thanks for all the hard work Delphy, and our other beloved Mods. I too appreicate the new search box. Ya'll are doing a great job, it's quite appreciated from my end. :D

Valui ad satanam in computatrum meum invocandum

Simmer Romanus2 - My Yahoo! Group

Requests of Roman items taken. My NON-adult items are FREE to use, as long as they remain FREE! (NO PAY SITES!) I'd appreciate a link back, or a mention, but it's not needed. :D
Forum Resident
#9 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 7:58 PM
Okay well this sounds good, except that I have some problems with the new rules... well not me, but my comp.

I have accepted the rules and everything goes back to the orginial state, then I go in to my own profile to change it back to the way it was; show avatars and signatures. But when I have saved my changes, and I'm going to post a replay, I have to accept the rules again - and we are from the beginning again...

Just in one half hour I was trying to figue out what I was doing wrong, I accepted the rules like five or six times!

Maybe it's just me, but it's kinnda anoying...

//HB

♥Adam Ant♥
No, I don't take request at the moment
11/7 -09 My beautiful niece was born!
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 8:31 PM
Accept the rules and then save changes - that should make it stay away.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Aug 2006 at 9:22 PM
Well, anything that makes the site better is good news. Also, it is great that you thought about improving speed on the site. I don't know, maybe it's my connection, but it has been very difficult lately to load MTS pages from my end of the world. Also, could you please repost the Delphinator? Thank you.
Test Subject
#12 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Well, anything that makes the site better is good news. Also, it is great that you thought about improving speed on the site. I don't know, maybe it's my connection, but it has been very difficult lately to load MTS pages from my end of the world. Also, could you please repost the Delphinator? Thank you.

Same thing has been happening to me about the speed - I thought it probably was ie 7.
Hopefuly people start to read the rules more.

/)_/)
( `.`)
O__O
0_0
Scholar
#13 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 2:41 AM
I want to check how the changes look like thanks alot for your hard work.

The rest of my skins can be found in my blog
http://navetsea.blogspot.com
Test Subject
#14 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 3:27 AM
I like the box style. It is much cleaner. Thanks for and keep up all the great work!
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 3:56 AM
Maybe it's just my computer...but something about the new layout is all wonky. It's driving me mad. x.x I luff this site, so I hope my computer evens out and starts making everything look normal again, or I might scream. ^^;
Instructor
#16 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:16 AM
Thanks for all the hard work you all do to make this site the best of the web.

* If you download my sets please note that I usually include a collection file. Please do not pm me that you can not find something from my sets if you have not yet installed the collection file. I do it for a reason. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:22 AM
Yeah - it does seem a little buggy, yet.
I've been directed to acknowledge the site rules approximately 4-5 times and my options don't "stick," either.
Also, the individual download threads don't seem to be happy with Firefox. The original post is smushed to the left side of the page and the pictures don't display - I get all links.
Just my observations.
Thanks for your hard work, Delphy!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:43 AM Last edited by bassist_bitch : 7th Aug 2006 at 4:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by karen82869
The original post is smushed to the left side of the page and the pictures don't display - I get all links.
Just my observations.
Thanks for your hard work, Delphy!

thats what is happening to me.. it looks major ugly..and i have to read the rules ALOT but i like the box corners they look nice.. but everything else is driving me insane! i might just not post anymore haha

the amount of pills I'm taking, counteracts the booze I'm drinking
Forum Resident
#19 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 4:55 AM Last edited by FreetobeJulie : 7th Aug 2006 at 5:02 AM.
carlydunham - I think you forgot to read the rules - Delphy clearly states that quoting the entirety of the original post (or any other post, really) is against the rules because it is disruptive. I had hoped (and I assume that Delphy and the moderators had hoped, too) that disruptions such as this would be prevented by implementing this new system. I know that everyone makes mistakes, and I'm not trying to reprimand you, but I would encourage everyone to read the rules so that mistakes aren't made so often. In terms of errors with agreeing to the rules, I clicked on all the links on the page and read everything before I clicked "accept" and I haven't had any difficulties. Great job, Delpy and the rest of the staff. You've continued to go above and beyond in running this amazing website, and your work is appreciated by thousands. Thank you!

Julie =)

*Edit* Sorry, I am having the glitch of everything reverting back to before I agreed to the terms of posting. Also, most download threads are squished to the left without pictures and most text appearing. I know that you staff will fix this, as you always do - I'm just trying to tell you what the problem is on my end. I also have cookies enabled for the site, so it isn't that. Good luck - even though you probably don't need it.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." - 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#20 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 5:23 AM Last edited by julianarosalia : 7th Aug 2006 at 5:29 AM. Reason: Added info
Well, it seems that I am having the same problem with the agreement not sticking. I think it's a wonderful idea and am hoping that you'll be able to figure out how to get this new feature to work. Fyi, I'm using Firefox as well but I'm going to try IE (shudder) to see if that works.

*Edit* Ok, not working in IE either.

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Alchemist
#21 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 6:18 AM
Same situation here.
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#22 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 7:02 AM
For those having problems with thumbnails: in your user options is an option to hide avatars/thumbnails, etc. Uncheck it.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 1:12 PM
Okay all the problems described below should be fixed now - sorry about that. There was a bug which, as you saw, wiped out your options which includes displaying of pages, so that caused problems with the download pages.

I've fixed this so it should be ok now (and you'll only have to tick the box once).

Regards,
Delphy

Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#24 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 8:17 PM
Thank you Delphy

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#25 Old 7th Aug 2006 at 11:39 PM
Okay, couple more changes:
  • When uploading files via Manage Attachments, the screen now shows you a preview of any thumbnails created, along with a link to both the file and to the images
  • Editing a post now shows you a thumbnail of the images in the attachment list sections
  • Coded a number of improvements that massively increases speed for the download browser pages. Most tests returned a 200% speed improvement
  • Split off sub-styles into thier own proper style, now selectable from the "Style" dropdown at the bottom of the page or via Edit Options.

Page 1 of 3