Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2006 at 10:18 PM
Default How to: Change genetics/skins
I've looked, so if it's on the site somewhere, please just politely point me to the post.

I started a sim with a skin that didn't work well with the censor remover that I'm using. So I removed that skin .package file, now my sim has one of the default skins/genetics. I'd like to change what he's running around with now to something else from my downloads. How do you do this?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 4:29 PM
I am looking for the answer as well.
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th Apr 2006 at 2:28 PM
It's not so difficult if you have SimPE:

Open the package of the new skintone and search for the Skintone XML-file. Click on family and copy the value you see.

Then open the neighbourhoodbrowser and open the file of the sim you want to change the skintone of.

If you have opened it, then click on more and on open Sim DNA.
Change the existing values of Skintone and Skintone range (both dominant and recessive genes) into the value you copied from the new skintone package.

That's it. I've done the same with a freckled skintone that (on my graphicly challenged computer) made my sim look ill instead of freckled. :D
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th Apr 2006 at 3:59 AM
there is also the good old sim surgery in SimPE

Do you belive frogs can bite? If not, then you should, because they do! LOL!
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st May 2006 at 9:15 AM Last edited by davesinsomniac : 1st May 2006 at 9:16 AM. Reason: Misspellings.
<i>"It's not so difficult if you have SimPE:

Open the package of the new skintone and search for the Skintone XML-file. Click on family and copy the value you see.

Then open the neighbourhoodbrowser and open the file of the sim you want to change the skintone of.

Change the existing values of Skintone and Skintone range (both dominant and recessive genes) into the value you copied from the new skintone package.

That's it. I've done the same with a freckled skintone that (on my graphicly challenged computer) made my sim look ill instead of freckled. "</i>

I tried this, and i'm assuming I did everything correctly, but it wouldn't let me save the file. It told me that it was "write protected". My folders were read-only and I changed that, but it still wouldn't let me save. Any suggestions, please??

Thanks so much.

Amanda
Field Researcher
#6 Old 11th May 2006 at 1:39 PM
Best way is:
- open the neighborhood with the sims to be changed in SimPE - change the skintone through "Tools - Sim Surgery"
- save the neighborhood

This is how I assign new skins to sims, and it works in every single case. I only have to let the sims change his looks with a mirror, since the thumbnail of the sims is not updated through Sims Surgery.

Hope this helps.
Test Subject
#7 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 9:01 PM
the custom skins won't show up in sim surgery.... grrr I did this a long time ago and now I forget!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#8 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 11:12 PM
You need to add their location to SimPE's filetable: http://ambertation.de/simpeforum/si...imPEs-FileTable.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Inventor
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 11:30 PM Last edited by ScorpioMaurus : 22nd Jul 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AnoeskaB
It's not so difficult if you have SimPE:

Thank you so much I don't know what's wrong with my SimPE but it won't let me add different folders to the filetable. I have done it before with previous verions. Now I have 6.8 and I just can't add the new folders. This method helped me greatly because I got updated skintones for 2 of my sims and needed to change them myself as the new skins did not override.
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th Nov 2008 at 5:07 PM
i dont see any XLM files...?
Test Subject
#11 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 11:07 AM
Default skin
pls how to change skin if i have a sims created?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CtfG
Best way is:
- open the neighborhood with the sims to be changed in SimPE - change the skintone through "Tools - Sim Surgery"
- save the neighborhood

This is how I assign new skins to sims, and it works in every single case. I only have to let the sims change his looks with a mirror, since the thumbnail of the sims is not updated through Sims Surgery.

Hope this helps.

does the change through sim-surgery apply to appearance only or genetics too?
Site Helper
#13 Old 20th Jan 2012 at 2:47 AM
I believe that Sim Surgery is appearance only. However, you can make it genetic by copying the new data to the genetic fields using SimPE.

This is the only tutorial that I've found, but it's missing the pictures:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=56241
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 29th Jan 2012 at 1:27 AM Last edited by JCSpencer : 29th Jan 2012 at 5:32 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I believe that Sim Surgery is appearance only. However, you can make it genetic by copying the new data to the genetic fields using SimPE.

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this. First of all, thank God for MTS2 tutorials and these great programs like SimPE or a lot of us would be so screwed!

I recently restored my Downloads folder and files, but in the process I deleted a lot of files that after a couple months of research I either couldn't identify them or decided I didn't want them anymore. Anyway, when I finally got my neighborhood up and running again, I noticed that a lot of my Sims had something weird going on with their skins. It seemed that the upper half of the body was using one skintone, and the lower half was using a different skintone. You could actually see the microscopically thin line separating the two.

I know that I deleted some skintones that were originally default replacements (I didn't understand how everything worked the first time I installed these downloads). I had assumed that after removing the default skins, the game would simply revert to using the Maxis skins. But instead I've got strange hybrid skin going on most if not all of my Sims.

I just now loaded up my neighborhood in SimPe, and I checked the File Table in preferences, but I notice that my Downloads folder is already being loaded on the FileTable tab. All of my stuff is in the Downloads folder (no subfolders are being used). Does that mean SimPE now has access to everything I should need?

And has anyone heard of this problem I am experiencing? I've been timid about using SimPe, but I've been using it more and more lately and feeling more comfortable with it, so I'm really hoping I can fix this skintone issue. It's hardly critical, but it bugs me and I do want to fix it if I can manage it.

EDIT: After taking another look, I know I am not seeing all of the available skins in the Sims Surgery tool. It's showing me 8 I don't even recognize, but I know from CAS in-game that I've got 25 or 30 skins to choose from. I think I've still done something wrong.

EDIT #2: I also took a look using the Theo's Alt Sims Surgery from MATY. Still there is only a small selection of the skins shown, far less than what I know I have. When I load up Body Shop, I have 85 custom skins (far more than I thought!), but almost none of them show up in Sim Surgery or Alt Sim Surgery. I thought that as long as my downloads folder was in the File Table it would load custom skins?

I've still got a couple more methods I want to try, including another potential solution from here at MTS2 (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=387020). It sounds like a "quick 'n' dirty" fix, but I'm willing to try it.
Site Helper
#15 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 1:49 AM
I just found this. Making plastic surgery genetic:
http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...urgery-genetic/

Perhaps a bit better than the other link, because it has pictures.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 2:09 AM
I've downloaded some nude patches to make my sims look more realistic with the blur removed. Does anyone know how I can apply that to sims I have created as well as the sims that came with the game?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 2:23 AM
What are you using? Normally you put on a censor blur and it's for all sims. Or you can go into SimPE and remove it and it's also for all sims. Sounds like you are using the wrong thing.

Also the question really belonged in help or where can I find, not modding.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Sep 2015 at 7:19 AM
Just download default replacements