Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 10th Jan 2009 at 4:34 PM Last edited by shorea682 : 10th Jan 2009 at 4:43 PM.
Quote:
How exactly are you constructing the dormers? This sounds like you build one wall, then the next wall, then the next wall .. try making a box instead, that'll pull up the grid right away (hold down the Shift key when using the wall tool – I think there's a "wall box" tool as well).

Ah, yes, that would be the problem. *slaps forehead*

I tried your suggestion (about playing with the slope). I fiddled around by degrees *bless M&G's new slope feature!!!* and it helped a little...then I slapped on a darker roof, exited, and came back again to find the whole thing much less noticeable. Thank you!

Oh, one other thing...I noticed that with this technique, I wasn't able to build u-shaped modular stairs using the foundation+staging technique...every time I tried to lay the foundation against the wall, it pulled the walls back down to their original height. I've noticed some pretty complex stairs in your starters, but I'm new at this, and I just can't seem to "get" what it is you're doing. Is there a tutorial, or maybe just some tricks, to getting the stairs to behave themselves in a house like this?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#52 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 6:59 AM
Umm .. not sure how to explain this in one sentence .. yes, the foundations do pull down the walls, you can pull them back up by flattening the top floor. Perhaps it helps to only turn on the cheat when you absolutely need it to minimise having to pull everything up and down again. The way it all behaves is a bit retarded =) one thing you have to keep in mind is that whatever you do, it will affect the floors *above*, but not the floors below.

Basically, just keep fiddling and after a while you'l be able to mess with this stuff like with chewing gum. I can imagine it's difficult for someone who's new at it, but it just requires a little practice =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 11th Jan 2009 at 3:53 PM
Ah, okay, I *think* I get it...I'll go play with it in a few minutes until I've got it figured out.

Thank you for all of this; My starters have always been boxes with very little furniture, but I've just finished my first "real" starter house (using this tutorial and looking at some of yours), fully furnished with a garden and decorative touches.
Test Subject
#54 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 2:18 PM
Works with the Sims 3 too! :D
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 9:59 PM
Yes, build mode didn't change much between Sims 2 and Sims 3. This works just the same way, with the additional benefit of varaible roof slopes being available in TS3 from the get-go.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Field Researcher
#56 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 6:43 PM
Thanks a lot for this pb

There are three sides to a story:
Your side, the other person's side and the truth.

The Sims Cubed
Test Subject
#57 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 8:45 PM
Thank you! I couldn't find any link that said whether all the Sims 2 cheats still worked. I haven't had time to play trial and error.

Wench Jr, sort of like Scrabble Jr, but more interesting.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 11:02 PM
Hi pbox, do you have a trick to achieve the 6-click-high walls for Sims 3 now that clicks are not accurate any more, and a short stair is 4 clicks per section?
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 12:53 AM
No, but the walls don't need to be exactly 6 clicks. See the OP – 6 clicks is useful for TS2/base game, since you can only build 45° roofs in that, but TS3 allows for any angle so you can just as well use shorter walls.

Test Subject
#60 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 4:16 AM
Wow this is really helpfull especially for recreating historic 1 1/2 story homes with the knee-wall. Took me a few tries to get it figured out but it's really great having the tutorial here. I noticed that the windows in the gable end are normal. When I try to put windows in the gable end on my house the upper half is covered by wall, I can only see the frame of the wndow. Do you know how I've been managing to do this/ if I can fix it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 14th Dec 2009 at 4:13 PM
You need to pull up the gable walls to full height. See step 5 of the first part.

Test Subject
#62 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 3:42 AM
thank you for this! Helped alot!
Test Subject
#63 Old 27th Aug 2011 at 10:40 AM
How did you do that thing on the side of the house? :p
Test Subject
#64 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 7:42 PM
Default I want to build a two story house on a deck +more
I want to build a two story house on a deck along with a basement and half-story attic with 6 different dormers. How can I do the halfstory attic with dormers when I have a two story house?
Test Subject
#65 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 5:31 AM
I'm having problem with windows... my windows keep get eaten by roofs ....how can I fix this?
Screenshots
Site Helper
#66 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 5:36 AM
You could change the roof slope to make sure that it doesn't cut into the windows.
You could use different windows, that go above the roof.
Test Subject
#67 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 11:48 AM
Adjusting roof slope angles didn't worked at all T_T
After few tries, figured it out by myself. If anyone have same problem I had, don't put halfwall, use roof.
Test Subject
#68 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 12:02 PM
Thank you mootilda for trying to help me. I appreciated that :-)
Page 3 of 3