Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 7:53 PM
Default Application has failed
I've been playing The Sims 2 for a long time and have used mods on this website for it but I've always made sure it's compatible and none of the things have CC. Now since 24/04/16 it keeps crashing saying "The application has failed. The application will now terminate." I thought maybe it could be a mod but I haven't installed anything for about 3 months. The most recent thing is I've updated to Windows 10 about a month ago, does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing this? I'd be really grateful.

AvANekoMimi
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 8:37 PM
TS2 is really unstable on Windows 10- it does that to me mid-game all the time. You can't even get your game to load? Have you tried deleting the accessories and group.cache files in your sims 2 documents folder?
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 8:44 PM
there are any number of problems that can cause this. a lot of people will tell you that its corrupt CC, that might or might not be the case. Could also be your hardware, software, or something borked within the game. Before I start troubleshooting my game I try to determine if there is a pattern to the crash and then deduce the problem from there. Example does it always crash when you you go to make a phone call? Could be loading pages and pages of thumbnails it too much and you need to load the list of your neighbors...

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Scholar
#4 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 9:01 PM
You might need to set compatibility to Windows 7, to get it to play properly. Also, delete the .cache files, and run the game as administrator.

And if all else fails, you might check out this thread on how to read config-log.txt files. Perhaps, you'll find something in your config-log that suggests a graphics issue. Windows 10 is extremely finicky about graphics, and many people now have issues that they never had before. Might you be having an nVidia card, perhaps? Those are especially poorly supported under Windows 10.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 25th Apr 2016 at 9:30 PM Last edited by Justpetro : 25th Apr 2016 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Add something
I play UC on Windows 10 - no problems at all.

I actually had to set it to be compatible with Windows 8 in the beginning (that was recommended to me by a pc and gaming expert whom I trust, even though he is not a Sims player, he said that is better for older games in general on 10), so that might work - however, after a computer crash (hardware, nothing to with Sims) - I had to install everything again. (My game and all my cc were all fine! I had to reinstall the graphic rules and the CEP and I think Scriptorum. Windows 10 had some updates too, and the game worked fine without me having to make it compatible to anything again).

Edit - and I have a Nvidia card as well.
Scholar
#6 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 12:59 AM
No problems with UC on Windows 10 here either. Of course, no matter what version of Windows you play on, some times you have to delete Groups.cache to get TS2 to start.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Scholar
#7 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 8:15 AM
Yeah, maybe it's a little better with the UC, and maybe it helps if Windows 10 was freshly installed (as opposed to upgrading from Win7 or 8). And maybe in some individual cases, someone is just lucky and everything always works. But not everyone is that fortunate...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 10:17 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 26th Apr 2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Add something
I upgraded when Windows 10 became availabe from Windows 7 I also, with the crash, did not have to reinstall Windows 10, just all the applications. When I initially upgraded to Windows 10, I have already been using UC (which I used from the start since I had broken my Sims 2 BG disk due to a severe stupidity attack).
Scholar
#9 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 3:02 PM
I upgraded from Win7 as well.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 6:40 PM
Thank you for all of your answers, they are things I do want to try but I'm not entirely sure how to set the compatibility mode or delete those .cache things. Thank you so much though ^_^
Mad Poster
#11 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 7:10 PM
They are in your games folder, bottom row - there where your downloads folder are, the accessory cache, the groups cache and the thumbnails folder can all be deleted. The game generates new ones when you start it (it takes a little longer, but that is normal). BoilingOil says the groups. cache folder has to be deleted every time you add game changing mods, and I believe him, so you can do that too.

Compatibility - just right click on your Sims 2 shortcut and choose the troubleshoot compatibility option - and follow the steps until you get the setting you want (it may take some time before you get there )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 7:33 PM
Thank you for that. I've just done both of those, deleted both of the .caches and ran the compatibilty mode and it still crashes. Thank you for everything you suggested though, sounds like I'm being a pain now XD
Scholar
#13 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AvANekoMimi
Thank you for that. I've just done both of those, deleted both of the .caches and ran the compatibilty mode and it still crashes. Thank you for everything you suggested though, sounds like I'm being a pain now XD

If you are playing UC, start the Origin launcher and select Repair Game.

Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 8:40 PM
@AvANekoMimi - most of us only know what we know because we keep asking
Alchemist
#15 Old 26th Apr 2016 at 9:30 PM
compatibility mode; I take it is similar with each version of Windows it comes in.
1. Right-click on desktop's icon and select "Properties". A dialog box should come up.
2. Click on the compatibility tab.
3. Change settings to ones that might work then click "Apply".
4. Check if the chosen settings work. If they do not work; change again, click "Apply", and check again. If they do work, no further changes would be needed.
exact steps might differ between the versions; maybe also the names. Not yet sure.