Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 10:34 AM
My first 3D Object. But please help!!
I created a statue but am a little confused as to how to UV map it and texture it. I will add the image here so you can see the original and my version and hopefully someone can let me know how I can proceed in my creation..
Screenshots
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sartake
I created a statue but am a little confused as to how to UV map it and texture it. I will add the image here so you can see the original and my version and hopefully someone can let me know how I can proceed in my creation..

For uv-mapping, you could check out Numenor's article for the basics. I can't give you advice on specifically mapping that object, though.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#3 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 10:12 PM
hmm, does that mean you solved your importing problem?
Inventor
#4 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 10:53 PM
it would seem this way unless he thought that you can just make it then import it. the mesh looks realy good weel done and good luck with the uv mapping.
Scholar
#5 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 11:15 PM
are you using max? if so use the unwrap UVW option from the modifiers menu.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 10:07 AM
If you're using Max, then you have it made for UV mapping.

What I do is go to modifiers>UVcoordinates>UVWmap. Then choose which method of mapping you prefer (eg. planer, cylindrical, spherical, box, planar etc). Then go to Modifiers>UVcoordinates>Unwrap UVW and then on the right hand sideo the screen click on "edit" button.

But that's only if you use either 3DSMax or Gmax. Other 3D editors have their own UV mapping tools. Also, you could try UVMapper Classic, a small, free, and quite useful UV mapping program. There are many options.
Scholar
#7 Old 13th Dec 2005 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xrax
If you're using Max, then you have it made for UV mapping.

What I do is go to modifiers>UVcoordinates>UVWmap. Then choose which method of mapping you prefer (eg. planer, cylindrical, spherical, box, planar etc). Then go to Modifiers>UVcoordinates>Unwrap UVW and then on the right hand sideo the screen click on "edit" button.

But that's only if you use either 3DSMax or Gmax. Other 3D editors have their own UV mapping tools. Also, you could try UVMapper Classic, a small, free, and quite useful UV mapping program. There are many options.

i find box mapping makes a perfect map most of the time :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 5:56 AM
IgnorantBliss - I'll check it out, thanx.
Lethe_s - Sometimes import works, other times it doesn't. Confusing.
jms - Thanx. My first attempt at 3d. I'm proud of myself. hehe
ToRnado & xrax - I use Blender. I think I might have Gmax on my computer. Might see if I can import into that program.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#9 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 8:11 AM
sartake,
depending on the type of object I have,
I use UV-Mapper or Blender itself to uv-map
there's a few uv-mapper tutorials out there, explaining the handy box-mapping
but for more detail you might try the LSCM-mapping in Blender
I wrote a kind-of-advanced Blender tutorial that explains it, here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 5:28 AM
Cool. Thanx Lethe_s. I can now see where I have been going wrong. I'll follow your tutorial on a bench I created which will be easier then the statue I made and see how I go. BTW cute Avatar. lol
I'll let you know how it went. Need to clean the house first then can start on my UV-Mapping. Yay
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 9:50 AM Last edited by sartake : 18th Dec 2005 at 9:56 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Finished the UV mapping but when I save the map it gives me a section with - size/wire, Wrap/Allfaces, Path/Obj...What do I do here? It gives me 500 as a default size. Do I need to make it bigger or smaller. And do I need to click any of the buttons (wrap/allfaces etc)

Thanx for the Cool Tutorial Lethe_s...
Fluffy
retired moderator
#12 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 1:17 PM
sartake, SimPE only imports texture maps with sides that are 1024,512,256,128 etc pixels wide
so you can go for 512x512 or 512x256 and so on
the funny thing is, I didn't know you could even export uv-maps with blender
it's not in the tuts I read on the blendersite either, you've found something new! go you!
I learn things every day
wire size is, I guess, the thickness of the lines in the uv-map
but when I tried it just now, it exported as a tga.file
and no program on my computer knows how to open that, so I'm not gonna be much help here
what I usually do is uv-map the object, export it, load it in UV-mapper for some final tweaking and export the map and object again from uv-mapper
that's a bit cumbersome, I know, but I haven't found a better way yet
the 'official' tut on wikipedia says to use a printscreen, but that's even worse, in my opinion
Instructor
#13 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 3:26 PM
Irfan View is a great freeware utility that can load and convert image files in many different formats.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 1:55 AM
I finished my object but when I loaded Sims2 my object was invisible so I made a mistake somewhere along the creation line. Hmmm. Time to start again. DOH!!

I use Paint Shop Pro and that opens tga files.

How do you export the map from blender to use in uvmapper? Hope that's not a silly question.
Part-time Hermit
#15 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 5:28 AM
I finished my object but when I loaded Sims2 my object was invisible so I made a mistake somewhere along the creation line. Hmmm. Time to start again. DOH!!

Check the name of the new subset on the Models list in Geometric Data Container. The name has to be the same as the original object's was or it's going to be invisible (well, you can change the name but then you'll have to change it in a few other places, too).
Fluffy
retired moderator
#16 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 8:23 AM
sartake,
once you've mapped your object in Blender, the map 'stays on'
so you only need to export your object itself
then you open uv-mapper and choose 'load object', the map should be recognizable
uv-mapper is easier for resizing big portions of uv-map and making everything fit perfectly, cause you can select by dragging your mouse, something I don't think is possible in Blender
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 5:06 AM
X-mas Over...Back to creating...
I don't know what I am doing wrong but it's not working for me.
Here is what I do -

1. Clone an object in SimPE and export the mesh.
2. Open Blender and import that mesh.
3. Create my custom content and resize to the cloned mesh.
4. Create a UVmap and export it.
5. Back in SimPe, import new mesh.
6. Make changes to guild and names.
7. Create texture and import to SimPe.
8. Make sure I have resized all new textures.
9. Save New object.

That is what I have done but somewhere I have done something wrong.

Please Help.

:sadpanda:
Part-time Hermit
#18 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 5:15 AM
I don't know what I am doing wrong but it's not working for me.
Here is what I do -

1. Clone an object in SimPE and export the mesh.
2. Open Blender and import that mesh.
3. Create my custom content and resize to the cloned mesh.
4. Create a UVmap and export it.
5. Back in SimPe, import new mesh.
6. Make changes to guild and names.
7. Create texture and import to SimPe.
8. Make sure I have resized all new textures.
9. Save New object.

That is what I have done but somewhere I have done something wrong.

Please Help.

:sadpanda:

Did you check if what I suggested in post #15 was your problem?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 5:22 AM
yes, I did check that. I think my problem may be the uvmapping. It's so confusing to me.
Part-time Hermit
#20 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 5:38 AM
Would you like to post your object as an attachment here so that someone can take a look and maybe help? It's easier to figure out if you can actually take a look at the package itself .
Scholar
#21 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 8:33 AM
pandora sims 2 just recently added their own texture mapping tutorial but it uses 3d max.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#22 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 9:54 AM
sartake,
when you say you create a uv-map and export it
do you also save the new object?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 8:27 AM Last edited by sartake : 15th Jan 2006 at 2:38 PM. Reason: Added wrong download file....so deleted it.
My simple object
I uploaded my object so you can see what I have done. Also when I tried to import it back into SimPE it shows a different name. It shows the name SimPEGlobal which doesn't make sense....Can someone make a point list of how to create a custom object. Just a basic list? Please?? :moose:
Part-time Hermit
#24 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 8:29 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 15th Jan 2006 at 9:01 AM.
JWoods' object tutorial has all the essential information for creating a new object .

Let me take a look at your object and see what I can do.

Edited to add: You only uploaded the .obj file. You should upload the whole package with the mesh imported in it before I can determine what makes it invisible

To change the name SimPEGlobal to the correct one, go to the Groups tab in GMDC, click on the name SimPEGlobal on the list and edit it in the box on the right, then click Commit and Save.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#25 Old 15th Jan 2006 at 9:15 AM
sartake,
SimpeGlobal is a normal name to have if you're importing from Blender
a good way around this is to use 'replace' instead of 'add' (from the blocklist in the import window), then you can use the blocklist under it to choose the mesh you want to replace. names will always be correct

the other way (if you've already imported) is to go to the 'groups' tab in the GMDC and change the name of your groups manually. just click 'simpeglobal' in the list, and change it in the box in the middle. This is also the place where you can delete groups.
Page 1 of 2