Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 7:10 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
Default Creating Custom Content on Mac Basics?
Hello, I'd like to create custom content but I'm unfortunately on Mac.
I'm aware that a majority of these cc tools are only available on Windows and I've dug around a bit to learn that I might need a program that runs windows or that CC making isn't a good idea on mac. A little disappointing.
I know I could try Bootcamp and I have, but Bootcamp with Windows 8 refuses to install because of a 'network error' and I have yet to find a solution for that. Parallels was also pretty buggy for me.
I'm still trying to look for tools to make CC or just programs to run Windows tools on Mac and there are some (like Mono) I've yet to test though some advice and basic tips might be nice...

Basically I want to be able to make CAS stuff like clothing, hair and accessories.
I'm going to try it out with Blender. At least that I have a good idea of. X)
I know there are plug-ins needed to import and export stuff to and from Blender but I have not the simplest idea of how to add them to the game or what tools to start with to do just that.

Even if it's just a link to a relevant tutorial or program would be great, thank you very much!

If it helps I'm on OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 1:29 PM Last edited by Aposematik : 19th Jul 2016 at 1:53 PM.
So I've downloaded some of the tool recommended by a Mod the Sims tutorial. (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...s_3_Hair_Basics)
Namely, S3PE + Sims 3 Dashboard, CAS Texture + Unitool, QADPE, Postal Packaging Editor in place of DABOOBS and I am attempting to open CTU, QADPE and S3PE with Mono.
I cannot get S3PE open even following the tutorial.
(http://simphonies.tumblr.com/post/9...mac-a-hopefully)
Instead of the result shown it gives me an error,
:mono desktop/S3/dashboard/sims3dashboard.exe
WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
Using default runtime: v4.0.30319:

Could it be that I'm using the latest version of Mono? (4.4.10)
This Tutorial (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:CTU_Guide) states that I can open CTU (and I'll assume will work with the other files) with Mono 2.4 but the link has expired the tutorial itself does not even have much directions in running the files with Mono though I hope the process is similar with the first tutorial.
There aren't many tutorials that include running the aforementioned programs with Mono, at least not that I'm aware of.
I'll try and look for that specific version of Mono, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Weirdly enough with enough retries I managed to get S3PE, Sims 3 Dashboard and QADPE to run with Mono despite the error messages.
Still not sure what to do with CTU no specific instructions from (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:CTU_Guide). I attempted to follow the method used by (http://simphonies.tumblr.com/post/9...mac-a-hopefully)

But I get the error, mono documents/ElectronicArts/TheSims3/GameData/Shared/CASTextureUnitool/CASTextureUnitool.exe
Cannot open assembly 'documents/ElectronicArts/TheSims3/GameData/Shared/CASTextureUnitool/CASTextureUnitool.exe': No such file or directory.

I'm probably doing something wrong, though even adding spaces between Electronics Arts and The Sims 3 or _ or + gives me the same results. I feel kind of silly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 2:09 PM
Placing the CTU files on desktop rather than following the tutorial (http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_3:CTU_Guide)
instructions: (Program Files -> Electronic Arts -> The Sims 3 -> GameData -> Shared)
Just gives me this error;
mono desktop/S3/CASTextureUniTool/CasTextureUnitool.exe
WARNING: The runtime version supported by this application is unavailable.
Using default runtime: v4.0.30319
Fontconfig warning: ignoring UTF-8: not a valid region tag

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at CASPartEditor.Form1..ctor () <0x5f2a10 + 0x00427> in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) CASPartEditor.Form1:.ctor ()
at CASPartEditor.Program.Main () <0x5ebf20 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at CASPartEditor.Form1..ctor () <0x5f2a10 + 0x00427> in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) CASPartEditor.Form1:.ctor ()
at CASPartEditor.Program.Main () <0x5ebf20 + 0x00033> in <filename unknown>:0

Is CTU really required or is there another program that does the same work it does? I guess I'm mostly talking to myself here but still, any help or advice is appreciated--thank you!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:43 PM
Hi there. First of all, this isn't going to help with your current issues at all but for other reasons I would strongly suggest updating your operating system to OS X 10.10.5 if you are going to stay on Yosemite.

In case you didn't notice, there is a stickied thread that covers running some of these utilities through Mono -- I believe XQuartz is now required (but I could be remembering that wrong). The thread is quite old, but the more modern bits are of course closer to the end.
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments

Personally, I wouldn't approach things this way at all. I predict you will experience much less frustration if you can find a way to fix your Bootcamp install and switch this kind of development over to the Windows side. I never even got enough satisfaction from the game itself on the Mac version (EA's implementation of Cider, bleh) after a certain point and even way back when my OS was Lion found I had to keep shuffling files over to a PC to get relatively simple things done.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Hi there. First of all, this isn't going to help with your current issues at all but for other reasons I would strongly suggest updating your operating system to OS X 10.10.5 if you are going to stay on Yosemite.

In case you didn't notice, there is a stickied thread that covers running some of these utilities through Mono -- I believe XQuartz is now required (but I could be remembering that wrong). The thread is quite old, but the more modern bits are of course closer to the end.
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments

Personally, I wouldn't approach things this way at all. I predict you will experience much less frustration if you can find a way to fix your Bootcamp install and switch this kind of development over to the Windows side. I never even got enough satisfaction from the game itself on the Mac version (EA's implementation of Cider, bleh) after a certain point and even way back when my OS was Lion found I had to keep shuffling files over to a PC to get relatively simple things done.

Yes I already went through that thread and got XQuartz and Mono from there but thank you!

I'm a little disappointed I hoped I made some progress but if it's really the case I might as well bootcamp my computer. I can't find any solution to the bootcamp issue, the few threads on apple support and etc. have no answers, they don't work or they just say they don't know. :/
If you don't mind me asking could you suggest which Windows version is best? Not even apple's recommendation on Windows 8 worked...though I did get that as a free legal iso copy from the Microsoft website if that changes anything!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 4:45 PM Last edited by igazor : 19th Jul 2016 at 7:45 PM.
I've got Win 7 Bootcamped, a retail disc full version, and didn't have any trouble at all with its implementation. But I haven't heard about widespread issues getting 8.1 or 10 setup that way. My iMac is just barely too old to support the newest Bootcamp drivers, so Win 10 is out for me and I'm quite happy with 7 anyway.

I wasn't aware MS was giving out free copies of its OS, but maybe you get the iso if you had already purchased in some other way? I do recall that upgrade and OEM versions are not supposed to work. But anyway, guess that's not really the topic here.

I would reach out to Apple for support, if you could. Bootcamp shouldn't really be that difficult. If this happens to be a MacBook (Pro, etc.), perhaps a trip to your local Genius Bar or Mac authorized tech store with the equivalent if you have those near you, or possibly they could arrange support another way, remotely?