Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 31st Jul 2016 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Dig up some treasure chests

Not use genie lamps? I do - it is just my Sim family winning the lotto, so they all wish for money (except elders - they may wish for a long life).

The only sim who will be allowed to dig up treasure chests will be my archeologist.

Same with the lamp it's too unrealistic for me. I would need to have some special circumstance that I could justify it. I guess if it was more rare but I get a lamp fairly often. Pretty sure one family has 2 of them (I probably have way more than 6) Maybe if a family can roll up a series of given numbers like Lotto perhaps.

I do focus on making money though, if I don't my hood won't be making anything since everyone is in debt. I don't use higher bills, my sims are poor without it.

@Gcgb53191 how much do you get selling it?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
if you do not mind cheats; lots of "motherlode" may help. or a high positive amount in "family funds" if you have any of those expansions (first released with Nightlife).

edit:: never downloaded any of the loan objects; and I do not plan to download any of them.
I'm quite sympathetic to that approach although I'm nor quite so generous with the motherlode. Consort Capp gets to use motherlode occasionally because (at least in my imagination) he owns a goldmine. But in general I think real life money worries are bad enough without makimg my Sims' lives miserable too. I too am unlikely to download any of the loan objects.

Debt, when it does occur in my game, is money owed by one Sim to another. Interest and terms are what those Sims agree between them (or, I suppose in practice, what I think they would agree). Ideally in principle it should be mutually beneficial. Money lending and borrowing in my game started after I got OFB, because Sims trying to start businesses often lack the capital needed to get started. There are only two so far.

Consort Capp lent Scott Moore §15,000 so Scott could open a little local grocery store in Poet's Place, Veronaville. The arrangement (as I recall -- I'd need to check the "paperwork" to be sure) is that Scott will repay Consort §18,000 provided the loan is repaid with in a reasonable time. If it takes too long Consort will ask for more interest. I've left it vague because I really don't want to get into having to calculate interest rates and repayment schedules. I should make it clear that Consort isn't a loan shark, but he is a businessman, and he expects to make a reasonable return on the money he invests. §3,000 may seem a lot of interest, but Consort considers it a fairly risky investment. On the performance of the shop so far, I think he's right -- there doesn't seem much prospect of him getting anything back soon. Scott has mostly taken his business perks in the form of better discounts from suppliers, as I think that trying to get a good margin on sales is the best way to make a profit in a small retail business. With many of his customers relatively poor, Scott can't set his prices too high or they'll go elsewhere. (I'm a bit of a believer in the "pile 'em high, flog 'em cheap" style of business.)

Recently Julian Moltke, still a schoolboy and gay boyfriend to Andrew Jones, lent §1,000 to Miriam Hunter who lives in Bluewater, so she can buy a hairdressing chair to start a little home business. Miriam has some big ideas but she's got to start somewhere. Julian is by nature very easy-going, and, while he'd gladly accept any interest Miriam cares to pay him, he won't mind if she just pays him his money back. In fact he probably wouldn't be too upset if she never pays him back at all. He lent her the money more as a favour to his little brother's friend's mum, than as a real business deal. Julian in fact only came into money quite recently when, along with Andrew, he ran the construction firm that I entered in d_dgjdhh's Monopoly Game Town Contest. At the end of the contest I divided the closing balance between Andrew and Julian, suddenly transforming their families from "getting by" to the Consort Capp / Malcolm Landgraab end of the financial spectrum. Julian, whose family was living on benefits not so long ago, can't quite get used to the idea of having money. On the whole though their money will be good for the local economy, as they provide alternative, and more approachable, sources of capital to Consort Capp, and I'm sure they will help to finance new business starts. Andrew, I know, has his head screwed on right, but I hope nobody takes advantage of Julian's good nature. One advantage he does have though, is that both his parents are now in the Veronaville police force.

The constitution of the Capp Charitable Institution for the Assistance of the Deserving Poor of Veronaville and its Environs allows the Institution to make interest-free or low interest loans to deserving Sims living in the neighbourhood, but so far the only assistance the Institution has provided has ben in the form of one or two grants.

I'm sorry that none of this really answers your question, Essa, but our different playstyles can lead to very different approaches to credit and debt. In my game credit and debt are intended to oil the wheels of the economy and make Sims lives easier, not harder. I hope it never comes to the stage of being a burden to any of my Sims. If Consort Capp should ever foreclose on Scott Moore, Scott could lose his shop, but his house would still be safe; the debt is too small to affect it. I really don't focus on my Sims earning money either; if anything I focus on them having fun and enjoying themselves. (I suppose a Fortune Sim could enjoy making money though. )

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#28 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 1:12 AM
I find cheating money boring. For me one of the most fun aspects of the game is having a challenge to overcome and money is one of those.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#29 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 3:43 PM
In my game if they cannot pay the debt, their house gets taken. They have to move to an apartment.
Instructor
#30 Old 1st Aug 2016 at 7:35 PM
In my game I have a Secretary of Finance and State Ownership.

This is the Sim that runs the bank, and deals with business and state financial outgoings and incomings for the town/city or state. For example, in order to get any funding for a home or community business then first you would need to file an application with the Town Hall. The Mayor will then discuss with his committee and the Secretary of Finance and they discuss how best to go about it; I haven't worked everything out but it would be something along the lines of it would the Secretary that would provide the loan i.e. take the loan out on behalf of the Sim in question, purchase the property, transfer the deed. However, he/she would still have the loan and it is this loan that the Sim who although has the deed and is techincally owner of business (as seen with the public).

That Sim isn't in fact the full owner; the Secretary is sort of like an investor, shareholder/silent partner sort of thing and if they want to buy him/her out of the business then they would have to pay the full loan back - including interest.

I haven't worked out the kinks yet; I don't think I answered your question though...and I will when I've had more time to think about it. LOL.
Theorist
Original Poster
#31 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Dig up some treasure chests

Not use genie lamps? I do - it is just my Sim family winning the lotto, so they all wish for money (except elders - they may wish for a long life).

As I said in my previous post:
Quote:
I dislike money from the sky so my sims don't dig for treasure (except my trailer park challenge family). I think my adventure sims should be allowed to. My sims barely paint unless they're artists.

I'd rather have my sims winning the lotto through a ROS than using a genie lamp.
I feel like winning money in the game is easy, that's why I barely use money rewards.

Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
But, if you don't focus on sims earning money when you play, how do you ensure they earn enough to cover the added costs you impose?

I'm just curious, as like you and plenty of other players I love playing with the bigger (daily) bills mod, mortgage shrubs, lower wages for Maxis careers, lower waged custom careers, having my sims pay taxes (for home and business owners), tuition cost for schools (prep, private, college) and medical expenses of course, but also realized I had to scale things back a bit when it came to the global billing rate for daily bills and the interest rates for loans. It was either that, or constantly worry that at some point my sims (all of them) would be in danger of becoming homeless and/or I would have to spend more time focusing on how they would earn money to pay debts instead of filling their day with something other than work...which wouldn't be as fun long-term (at least for me).

At one point I even had Cyjon's No Life Insurance mod just to make things harder for my sims (boy did it ever) and recently removed it after using it for a few years. I'm not one of those players who gets every sim to the top of their careers (most own their own business, work two part-time jobs or only make it to level 5 of a career before I use Cyjon's Job Stopinator to keep them from getting promoted), so this might be the only bonus or unexpected cash a sim will ever receive.

@PenelopeT
I don't think we use the same bigger bills mod. My sims bills come twice a week. When they see the repo-man, it's more because of me forgetting to make them pay than them not having money.
My current rotation is the first one I have households unable to pay their whole taxes. There were two of them, the one I talked about in this post. They were lacking 700 §. The other household counts my gardener who also owns the cemetery and his wife. They were lacking 500§.
I also decide that the doctor (clinic's owner) and the nanny (daycare's owner) won't pay taxes because their lots are residential (partially funded by the hood) and they can't afford it, especially my nanny who currently live alone and doesn't make much money.

I recently add a no-inheritance mod to my game. I'll see how my sims will handle it.
I'm afraid if I add Cyjon's bigger bills to the mix, I'll have to lower the taxes rate.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 3:33 PM
No - all true. However, I don't use the dig your mod mod, so if my Sim should dig up a treasure chest once (amongst the dozens and dozens of rocks and bones) - he is welcome to it.Only one Sim ever had that luck in my game.

In real life I actually know a person who has won the SAlotto twice - he lives right here in the small town where I live. So - yes, some people have exceptional luck. Some Sims may have exceptional luck too!
Instructor
#33 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 4:37 PM
What I don't understand is how they get in debt..?? Don't the debt collector or whatever they are called come and take things from the house when you can't pay the bills..

My first generation don't work..don't even leave the lot..and they have never gone in debt..they paint..and redo the restoreable car only one time...and by the time they have $250,000 then they build a big house have 2 or more kids by the time the kids are ready for College the parents turn elders they give each child $50,000 except the oldest boy he gets $20,000..because he is inheriting their family home..and nobody ever goes in debt..

How does that happen???
Theorist
#34 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 6:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
I don't think we use the same bigger bills mod. My sims bills come twice a week. When they see the repo-man, it's more because of me forgetting to make them pay than them not having money.

My current rotation is the first one I have households unable to pay their whole taxes. There were two of them, the one I talked about in this post. They were lacking 700 §. The other household counts my gardener who also owns the cemetery and his wife. They were lacking 500§.
I also decide that the doctor (clinic's owner) and the nanny (daycare's owner) won't pay taxes because their lots are residential (partially funded by the hood) and they can't afford it, especially my nanny who currently live alone and doesn't make much money.

I recently add a no-inheritance mod to my game. I'll see how my sims will handle it.
I'm afraid if I add Cyjon's bigger bills to the mix, I'll have to lower the taxes rate.

Yeah, I use Cyjon's Bigger Bills mod which bills households 6 days per week (Sunday is the off day). I like using it due to being able to customize the global billing rate using his Loan Jar. It's a great mod to make things more challenging, but if the global billing is set too high it can be pretty brutal when you first move a household in and furnish the home. I once had a sim get billed a little over §14,000 after I moved them to a new home and furnished it with pricier items - needless to say the default global billing rate was quickly changed.

As for taxes, I had to rework some things and started customizing them based on total assets (<§50,000 pay 3%, §50,000 - §150,000 pay 5%, >§150,000 pay 8%) instead of the flat tax I used to charge them. Taxes are also only billed every forth season now, instead of the second and forth.

Quote: Originally posted by broomhilda61
What I don't understand is how they get in debt..?? Don't the debt collector or whatever they are called come and take things from the house when you can't pay the bills..

My first generation don't work..don't even leave the lot..and they have never gone in debt..they paint..and redo the restoreable car only one time...and by the time they have $250,000 then they build a big house have 2 or more kids by the time the kids are ready for College the parents turn elders they give each child $50,000 except the oldest boy he gets $20,000..because he is inheriting their family home..and nobody ever goes in debt..

How does that happen???

Your method only works for those that don't mind having sims do whatever to earn money.

I rather enjoy having my sims do things that are befitting their personality and skill set (most of my sims work in a career and/or own a business that benefits the neighborhood) - not just some random things to earn money. There are typically only one or two sims in my neighborhood that are allowed to paint for the purpose of earning money, and those items must be sold to other sims...not just to thin air. The same would go for restoring a car or even digging up treasures.

If I didn't make earning/keeping money in the game challenging, then I'd never play.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Instructor
#35 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 8:50 PM
Actually I agree with you..I started playing a challenge over a year ago on a site that was the first generation couldn't leave the lot..and have been playing that way ever since..a bit boring lol..

I'm still trying to figure out how the Sims get in debt..without having the bill collector take their belongings away..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 11:07 PM
They get in debt by taking out loans on Monique's computer with crushing interest rates repayments. You get pops ups such as so and so just had -$2000 added to his debt! My mayor has over 200K in debts. :/ I have now switched him to the loan jar with low interest, but he is really in the dodo.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#37 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 1:35 AM
Wow..I had never heard of this..sounds like fun lol..

I know I shouldn't ask here but will take my chances on getting chewed out .. but was wondering where in the world do I get all these awesome, mods, objects and everything else..

Thank you joandsarah77 :D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 2:06 AM
Monique's updated computer is here: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,93501.0.html lower EP versions are on here. http://modthesims.info/d/64137 It does everything but wash the dishes. Although mostly study, online shopping and loans. I use the lap top.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#39 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 6:14 AM
Thank you joandsarah77 for the links..checking them out now..

Can you have both of these at once or is it one or the other..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#40 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 6:41 AM
You can have the lap top and cheap computer if you like, but the cheap one is quite ugly IMO. You just grab the one/ones for your latest EP, so if you have AL grab the AL versions don't go grab a FT version.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#41 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 7:42 AM
I have the Ultimate Collection..

What I meant was can you have both mods in the game at the same time..you had given me 2 different links..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 7:53 AM
I gave the AL version link and the link to the older versions, since you have AL ignore the older versions.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#43 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 8:12 AM
Beware that Monique's computer loans have rather high interest, and can quickly get out of hand. They also progress on community lots, so if your Sim is out on a community lot at the time the loan is re-evaluated, and then goes home, the loan interest will hit twice. The upside is that your Sims can also save money, though not at the same time as having a loan. The computer is plenty useful though, even if you don't use loans. I use it all the time for studying badges, and buying clothes from home.

An alternative to Monique's computer is Cyjon's Loan Jar. It only updates on the lot it's placed on, so no double hits from community lots. You can set interest to % of your choice, lowest is 1% highest is 6%. It will add interest every morning at 6am. I find that one better for loans, because I can use separate jars for different loans, and the interest is not quite as bad if you set it low.

In addition to these and other mods, people use their imagination. They decide rules for their hoods, such as taxes or extra fees for education and what not, and they then use either familyfunds or mods to add/deduct money from the households. Monique's computer lets you donate money, so it vanishes into nothingness, for example. There are lots of great threads on systems people have in their games, you might find inspiration and tips on how to set up things like this It's not for everyone, but I personally find the game much more fun when money actually matters. There's more purpose to working to reach the top of a career, or having a job at all, when Sims need the money for something.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Theorist
#44 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by broomhilda61
I have the Ultimate Collection..

Well, since you have all EP's and SP's you might want to take a look through the mods listed on these sites as well as look through some of the mods here on MTS:
http://www.cyjon.net/node/42
http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...rt,subject.html

There are number of them that will make the game more challenging for you if that is what you really want.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Instructor
#45 Old 9th Aug 2016 at 2:57 PM
Thank you joandsarah77, gummilutt, PenelopeT for your help..

I am sorry Essa for taking over your post..didn't mean to..
Theorist
Original Poster
#46 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 2:02 PM
@broomhilda61
No need to be sorry, the forum is here for all of us to discuss.

Time finally has come for me to play Vixente's household again.
Here is what I've coming up with:
1. Restructure the debt and change the interest rate to 1%
2. Get unexpected money from a distant relative
3. Change the interest rate to 1%, write a book about his history and articles for the local journal (he was a former journalist and lost his job due to a chance card)
4. Share the debt among the children after his death
5. Declare bankruptcy
6. Reroll.

He rolled 5 so he's going to fill out a file (write article) and bring his case before Court. His case will be accepted at his second try (first try will be rejected for whatever reason).
He'll have to sell his goods except the essentials before the erasure of his debt.
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 3:06 PM
Like PenelopeT I have to make making/getting money challenging or i'd never play either. It's why i've recently come up with the law that genie lamps are illegal (I wouldn't mind them if they were rare, I don't always play realistically so them being unrealistic doesn't bother me, but they aren't rare they are downright common! At least in my game...)

I also have a bunch of mods to make it harder. I have a 2x bills mod, they still only come twice a week but are twice as much as they'd be otherwise. Mods for less money from fishing, financial advice, writing and painting. A harder jobs mod, don't go to Uni? Can't get past level 5! Uni also no longer lets the Sim start at level 8 or 9 upon graduation. Also the number of Sims at the top of a career is limited, by the mod itself. I also have a job stoppinator thing I can put in their inventory that will make it so they can not get a promotion, so they can still skill and whatnot without being promoted. I also have a mod for cheaper restaurant guides, which i've never even made yet. Looking through my "harder" mods I seem to have 2...woops! Also got one to make the junk car harder and sell for less. A realistic wages mod which basically halves income from careers and have likewise changed the custom careers I have. I'm also going to start taxes, and I have fees (wedding, divorce...also fines for breaking laws).

I haven't played with all this much though so i'm not sure how it's all going to go. I *hope* to not have that many Sims going into debt in the first place, try and make them live within their means, but i'm sure some Sims will end up in debt (and if they don't i'll probably up the taxes for it being "too easy" lol)

I don't have any loan jars or anything like that, i've had some debt for Sims before (from Uni costs) and i've always just kept track of it but i'm sure i've forgotten it before too. I use InSim's cash register to manipulate funds (familyfunds eventually doesn't work when you have more than one household with the same name...you can't choose which household it goes to and it always seems to go to/be taken out of the wrong one in my case) and I haven't ever done interest on debt. Maybe I should but that one thing sounds like a nightmare with how quickly it could spiral out of control with interest.

I've just always had my Sims pay whatever they can as they can.

My Simblr
He/They
Theorist
Original Poster
#48 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 3:38 PM
I don't know if genie lamps are common in my game or not since I'm used to stick them in inventories or delete them with Pescado's stuck object remover.
I may reconsider using them thanks to Justpetro's opinion. Not sure yet because it still sounds cheaty. I allowed one of my elder couple to use it since they wanted to open a business though. Aube Martains has the 100000§ LTW and the money from the genie lamp counts.

To avoid the family funds issue, my households are named after the head of the family. This is easily done in Simpe.
For example I have a bunch of Granville-Carver. I use to call the families "Granville-Carver 1", "Granville-Carver 2" and so on but at the end I didn't know who was who.
I now have the Vixente Granville-Carver family, the Corry Granville-Carver family, the Antarès Granville-Carver family and so on. Easier when I want to use the familyfunds cheat.
Top Secret Researcher
#49 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
I don't know if genie lamps are common in my game or not since I'm used to stick them in inventories or delete them with Pescado's stuck object remover.
I may reconsider using them thanks to Justpetro's opinion. Not sure yet because it still sounds cheaty. I allowed one of my elder couple to use it since they wanted to open a business though. Aube Martains has the 100000§ LTW and the money from the genie lamp counts.

To avoid the family funds issue, my households are named after the head of the family. This is easily done in Simpe.
For example I have a bunch of Granville-Carver. I use to call the families "Granville-Carver 1", "Granville-Carver 2" and so on but at the end I didn't know who was who.
I now have the Vixente Granville-Carver family, the Corry Granville-Carver family, the Antarès Granville-Carver family and so on. Easier when I want to use the familyfunds cheat.

Oh, I had no idea you could change that in SimPE.
Still learning stuff about SimPE it seems it can do so much

My Simblr
He/They
Instructor
#50 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 10:12 PM
Every time I read this post I get more and more confused on how everyone plays..I got the loan jar but haven't used it yet..

Like what Florentzina--does opening a fundraiser charity,
gummilutt--"private" loan with the family/friend, and
joandsarah77--how do you get a homeless teen??, donations from some charitable types in the community,
PlatinumPlumbbob--How To Simulate A Debtor's Prison:,
Essa--police station only has one cell. It's already taken by the ex-NPC burglar. He is sentenced to 5 years of prison.,
Goldenbtrfly--Network and get that free shizz

These are just a few of the confusing things..

I am still so naive when it comes to the game with all the things I have learned since 2010..when I first found CC, Mods, Cheats and all that..and reading this post is so overwhelming and confusing..

Do you all have story lines and do you post your stories.. I would love to read them to see what and how you play..it might make things easier to understand..
Page 2 of 4