Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 11:47 AM Last edited by Nors : 6th Mar 2011 at 7:43 AM. Reason: Updating with an image :)
UV-map problem
Hello, long time no see!
Yesterday I finally succeed with making dress mesh, without it explode in game or in TSRWS. Which I'm very happy for

Anyhow. I have problem with the UV-map. I'm making a lolita dress (I dress in that fashion. So ofc I wanted to incorporate it to sims!), and the skirt is indeed very fluffy. And that leads to problem. I frankensteined it together of afBodyDressShortFlaredFolds' skirt and the top of afBodyDressTight_halter.
And gosh. The UV-map is horrible. The texture looks stretched out on some places and doesn't line up.
I've tweaked and tweaked but it still doesn't look acceptable.

Picture:

I don't know what to do more, I need help! I've attached the .ms3d (in a .zip)file, but if you'd like another file-format I'll fix it.
So. Help? '

Thanks in advanced

EDIT:
Link to the UV-map:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9999/uvmap.gif
Attached files:
File Type: zip  nors_lolitamesh_backup6.zip (415.3 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 7:03 PM
Could you take a pic of the current UV Map? It'll make it easier to make suggestions if we know what you're working with.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 9:46 PM
With a skirt like this it might be easier to remap the front and back, that way all horizontal vertice coordinates are already inline.
If you want to have a go:
Regroup the front part of the skirt and the backpart of the skirt in new meshgroups.
Assigne a material to both
Go to the texture editor and make a rectangle were the front skirt should be mapped(roughly), using the region button.
Map the front part of the skirt in that rectangle(use the front skirtmesh and choose front and choose front in mapping options)
In that same rectangle you also map the backpart of the skirt(use the back skirtmesh and choose back in mapping options)
Now tick the lock Y box so the vertical axis will be locked
Move away the backskirt vert coordinates(outside the uvmap)
Regroup the 2 skirt meshes with the toppart
Select both the front and backskirt on the uvmap and move the front skirt in the center of the top part, then deselect it and do the same with the backpart(keep a tiny gap between the top and bottom parts)
You have to untick the lock Y box to move them vertical, when done tick it again.

You now have both centered and horizontal inline
Now select either the front or back and scale all vert coordinates so that they match the top starting by the center vert coordinates and then working your way to the sides:
Select the whole front(or back) and start to scale so that the vert coordinates next to the center rougly match the top(you will see that the center will be off quickly but use the move button to recenter the skirtpart, scale and recenter, scale and recenter.
When they match the top you deselect them and go to the next row all the way to the sides, when done do the back(or frontpart)
Just keep you lock Y box ticked when doing this and when both are horizontal in place the last thing is to scale them vertical.
This is time you lock the X and select/scale both parts in one time, use the move button to match them again with the top if the rows exceed the bottom row of its vert coordinates.

I personal love to map skirts like this, should write a tut....

Note,
If your regrouping the front and back of the skirt then make sure you regroup them as they original were uvmapped

Edit,
Oops.....forgot a big thing wich makes it more complicated for a beginner.
EA mapped the front and back while they were one meshgroup.
This means the vertices on one side of the skirt are welded and if your going to split those up by regrouping them you have do the same with the 4 morphs or extract the base uvmap(when done) and load that uvmap for each morph.(then use the Model cleaner to splitup those welded seams on the morphs)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 7:32 AM Last edited by Nors : 6th Mar 2011 at 7:51 AM.
-Mallow-: Thanks. I'll check it out. :D

whiterider: Oh! I'll update the main post with it

Bloom: This sounds interesting. But I'm a little confused. Should I start with separate the skirt front and back first, right? I'll try to test this out, I'm not the best UV-mapper in the world (you see that lol) but. I'm sure I'll update this entry or something when I've run into problems
EDIT: I'm trying to separate the front of the skirt and the back of the skirt. How should I do that? Duplicate selection doesn't work. And should I do that for all morphstates?

Thanks for all the replies! ^^

Sockpuppet
#5 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 8:09 AM
You select the front part of the skirt(select the faces), then regroup that part in the meshtab
Do the same with the backpart.(rename them to make it easier)

For the morphs you do the same but those you can regroup back into one right after seperated them.
Best is to do this also for the base mesh to begin with and export your meshfile first to see if you done it correct(Wes his exporter will give a error when exporting when you didn't splitup the sideseam correct while TSRW will give the error when importing the file in your package.)

If you have no errors you can impoert the mesh in MS again and regroup the front and back of the skirt on the basemesh again.
Then visit the texture editor and start mappin
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 8:55 AM
Gah. I come nowhere D:
Some faces and verts won't get selected as I want.

I want (ofc) a straight line up there, but I can select that. :s This problem goes a on various places at the mesh

Sockpuppet
#7 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 8:58 AM
i had a quick look at your file.
Before you continue, have you seen the mesh ingame?
The setup you have choosen is asking for problems as 90% of regrouping 2 diffrent meshparts will result in errors in CAS and ingame.(even if it looks ok in TSRW)
If you want to select that corner you select the row above it and then deselect the faces you dont want(right mouse to deselect)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 9:04 AM
Yep, I've tested in game. And it looked good. I used the afBodyDressTight_halter to import the mesh parts in. It has two groups so I can import two parts.
Thanks. That explained a lot. Now it works better

Sockpuppet
#9 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 9:59 AM
Yes, but your missing the hand.
You should load the skirt part in the meshgroup of the left hand(delete the morphs and duplicate the base hand 3 times for new morphs so they wont mess up things)

Here you have the skirt part uvmapped but the moment i regroup it back things are messed up
I have included the uvmap as bmp, you could assigne it as material to your own mesh.
You then simply have to move the coordinates to the spots on that map.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  test.rar (67.3 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 12:12 PM Last edited by Nors : 6th Mar 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Okay. Now I'm even more confused.
Should I do what you did in the first post?
Or should I use the one you attached and put the mesh back together?
Or maybe both?

Sorry, I have a terrible cold and my brain is on the slow side today, lol.

Anyways. It's very kind of you, Bloom, that you made the UV-map of the skirt and doesn't go bananas over my rambling

Sockpuppet
#11 Old 6th Mar 2011 at 5:34 PM
Use my uvmap to fix it quick.

If your up to it try to reuvmap a skirt the next time
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 11:08 AM
Okay, thanks

I managed to do it. Everything looks good except the fat-morph. It looks like war. I bet the bone-assignment or something is totally wrong.
Fail-image o' hoy!

*Sad face* D: It looks like the top-part is the problem here. I'll see if I can fix it. But I bet I need help. I've attached a .zip with the:
backup9.ms3d (My latest back-up)
exported_bottom.wso (The skirt and legs)
exported_top.wso (The top)

I also noticed that the exported_top.wso is 1092kb when the exported_bottom is just 350kb. :S

Sockpuppet
#13 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 11:30 AM
Its wat i expected, you can not combine GEOMS(especially the morphs) into one, this is the result.
Cut off the top and go look in CAS again, you might be able to save your work.

If the skirt part looks ok then do the following.
Load the original top in group_0
Import the group_1(the hand) in Milkshape and delete the morphs
Import your skirt(bottom)
Duplicate the hand 3 times and regroup those with each skirt morph
Export your file and load it into group_1
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 1:08 PM
I've tried just to do the top again, but failed again. But it's strange, it's only the fat-morph that explodes.

The skirt part looks okay, yes. I'll try what you suggested. But, the hand is now on the top. So I don't know if it'd be any differences.

Sockpuppet
#15 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 10:14 PM
wat top and bottom did you start with?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 10:24 PM
Did you create custom morphs? Perhaps something went wrong when creating the fat morph?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#17 Old 8th Mar 2011 at 10:24 PM
he regrouped 2 morphs into one, wich causes this 9 out of 10 times..

@Nors, you didn't attache the zip in your previous post so i cant have a look.
You can indeed regroup the hand also with the top as long as you delete its morphs first, create new morphs before regrouping by duplicating the base hand.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 7:34 AM
*She
Bloom:Oh! Sorry. I'll attach it in this post.

whiterider: I did the fat-morph the same way as the other morphs, and the normal/base one. I've re-done the fat-morph but it's not working. I think it's strange it's just the fat-morph gone wrong :s
Attached files:
File Type: zip  nors_lolita_mesh.zip (1.00 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content

Sockpuppet
#19 Old 9th Mar 2011 at 3:43 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 9th Mar 2011 at 8:04 PM.
I combined the exported bottom.WSO, wich is actually the top with the skirt from your backup ms3d file and all works fine ingame
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Nors.rar (561.6 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Mar 2011 at 4:06 PM
Yayness! Thank you so much It works!