Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 4:24 AM
Default Was there any backlash of the Sims: Urbz wheelchair character?
Was there any backlash of the Sims: Urbz wheelchair character? Since someone claming there was.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 4:35 AM
Why would there be? The Sims needs more Sims in wheelchairs anyway, for a variety of reasons. Anything from a broken leg to pregnancy.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 4:49 AM
since they are claiming its because of backlash of the Linclon Broadsheet that there is no Disablties in the Sims 3 game. Oh and we already have pregancy anyway.
Inventor
#4 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:12 AM
From my experience on the official forums for Sims 3, disabilities are not popular. In the ideas section of the official forums, a thread about disabilities will tear the fandom in two as to who wants and who doesn't. Some of the threads about disabilities in Sims 3 have roared on for over 30 pages of posts. The same goes for diseases. A person will post about real-life diseases, such as cancer or diabetes, and they will be torn limb from limb for even suggesting it, though some will agree that diseases would be great for the game. Again, it is a black and white area with no grey for the players... at least in the official forums.

I wouldn't mind a sim in a wheelchair, a blind sim, a deaf sim, etc. I think that sign-language is beautiful and it could really make life interesting, such as taking care of babies and such.

Commenting on the main topic, though, I can't say that I know anything about that as I never played Urbz. I came in pretty late to Sims as I came in around 2007.

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by QueenJimmyIV
I wouldn't mind a sim in a wheelchair, a blind sim, a deaf sim, etc. I think that sign-language is beautiful and it could really make life interesting, such as taking care of babies and such.

I like this idea, wheelchairs would be great, so would be deaf Sims.

I would also like to have sickness in game. But I wouldn't want it to be real like, cancer, or AIDS or any specific sickness that RL people can get. If the player, or their love one is living through a real sickness like that, and have their sim die of the same sickness, I doubt it would be a pleasant experience to the player. Sickness could be general, like the cold in TS2, that could kill you, or a made-up sickness like the hamster disease from TS1.

I played the Urbz once, but I never noticed there was anybody in a wheelchair.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:26 AM Last edited by Celoptra : 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:26 AM. Reason: adding words
I know sign lanauge myself..but I'm not deaf. Diabetes is a Disabltiy
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:49 AM
I think that's something EA should probably leave to modders. Because if people want it, some modder somewhere will make it happen, and then EA doesn't have to deal with people complaining at them for adding disabilities into a game when they weren't wanted by the majority. Or whatever.

Moral of the story, this is why you customize your game to suit your preferences.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Instructor
#8 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:53 AM
Then EA should make it easy for the modders, and maybe even help them.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 5:54 AM
When I said pregnancy, I meant leaving the hospital in a wheel chair, since patients are required to leave in one, sometimes.

And there's nothing wrong with diseases. It's like the mummy's curse. Get sick... die after a while.

And wheelchairs are basically strollers. No one complains that toddlers and babies can't walk (of course, toddlers eventually learn), but bring up an adult, and all heal breaks lose. Disabilities (if done tastefully) could add a whole new level to the game! If there's a problem with disabilities and wheel chairs, I could bring up dying of starvation and world hunger, or being messy and being a hoarder. People can't talk about an issue because it's controversial and ignore something already in place.

PLEASE Don't get me started on ghost, the paranormal, and religion. -_-

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 6:11 AM Last edited by Celoptra : 23rd Dec 2011 at 6:16 AM. Reason: removing words
Yes but what about people who don't want to use CC or mods? I asked Twallian about this and he said there wasn't any way of creating disabled sims expect a trait that was "crippled" and I would fine that even more offensive..than not having wheelchairs in the game. No to mentiuon there is no counter with leg room, or a stove that would work with wheelchair).
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 6:14 AM
Crippled isn't a trait, it's more physical than anything.

Like all physical conditions, it'd be a moodlet, and have an effect on the Sim until it's passed. I guess "Disabled" is more appropriate. :/

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 6:15 AM
um hello? That's even more offensive just having a moodlet than not having wheelchairs period. since people are disabled from birth!!. It will never pass.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 6:16 AM
If I knew how to program I would try to improve the wheelchair we have and see if I could make it move, make interactable objects (like a bathtub seat--I wish i had an intereactable one for my own story), a ramp a sim could interact with, and those handicap bars you see in bathtubs.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 6:33 AM
I'm just working within the mainframe of the game. You make it seem like being disabled is a bad thing. People are born disabled yes, but people also develop them, like when they fracture a bone. There is NOTHING wrong with it, so I have no idea why your up in arms.

Sometime, people are darker than others.
Some people can't curl their tongue.
Some people have really curly hair.
Some people can't transport themselves without aid.

It's not that big of a deal. People are different. It'd be discrimination, in a sense, to exclude them. And I said moodlet because those are where physical effect of the body are displayed. Pregnant, fatigued, and I think life states for Sims.

People get upset over the craziest things, I swear...

Scholar
#15 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 7:38 AM Last edited by pirate_wolf_12 : 23rd Dec 2011 at 7:47 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Disabilities would never work for the company. Ever. One of the prime challenges would be basically having to re-mod nearly everything to be usable for certain sims (the most obvious example would be for those in a wheelchair) which would be far too difficult for something not everybody would want (as mentioned above, the fans are split on this).

That, and how exactly do you advertise that product? There's no feasible way to get lots of players up and buying the game based on the concept of your sims not being able to do certain activities anymore. Look at all the past expansions. Exploration! Fame! Adventure! Clubbing! Animals! All fun and cheery, and there would be no way to market disabilities and disease like that without becoming incredibly offensive.

And how would your sims become disabled? Birth? Accidents? A mixture of both? I imagine people would mod this out as soon as the news broke (just like they plan to with the Facebook thing in Showtime) as they don't want to risk their favourite sims becoming injured.

Disease is basically the same case. They took out all serious effects of it that were present in The Sims 2 (death, contagiousness) for The Sims 3, so I also doubt they'll be putting in things like cancer or AIDS. How Sims would contract AIDS/HIV would also probably be way too mature for this game.

And finally, a lot of people play games to escape reality for a bit. Just something to do to cheer themselves up or take their minds off real life. I really don't see people welcoming disease and disabilities with open arms.
Scholar
#16 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 8:57 AM
Pirate makes an overwhelmingly accurate point. You're forgetting that this game has a rating to stick to. And when a rating prevents "adult content" it isn't just nudity, violence, and cursing. Adult themes that are too complicated, difficult, or depressing (for instance, AIDS) for younger players to cope with will also boost up a rating, and EA will not risk its rating for something a significant percentage of their fanbase will not want, especially not when 1) they can sell the games just fine without risking it and 2) boosting their rating up now would put them at an M rating, which means a huge number of the retail stores would flat-out refuse to sell the game to minors, which would take a massive chunk out of EA's profit and customer base.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Scholar
#17 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 9:26 AM
I could see the "crippled" moodlet ruffling a lot of feathers.

I use the word "crippled" to describe myself, but it is generally regarded as an offensive/outdated term and not one I'd use to describe another physically-disabled person (or a physically-disabled character). "Disabled" is more of a broad catagory term, and can encompass several different types of disability.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 10:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aegagropilon
I could see the "crippled" moodlet ruffling a lot of feathers.
Well, a name like that would ruffle mine. I should suppose Sims with disabilities, if there were any such, would best be called Sims with disabilities.

I myself hope to live long enough to acquire some conditions that, if they were to happen to a young person, would be disabilities.

Not that I'll be happy to acquire them. A negative moodlet is probably realistic at some point. But then we're talking more about a simulation and less about a game, and as several previous posts have said, getting it right would be hard.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 11:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
Pirate makes an overwhelmingly accurate point. You're forgetting that this game has a rating to stick to. And when a rating prevents "adult content" it isn't just nudity, violence, and cursing. Adult themes that are too complicated, difficult, or depressing (for instance, AIDS) for younger players to cope with will also boost up a rating, and EA will not risk its rating for something a significant percentage of their fanbase will not want, especially not when 1) they can sell the games just fine without risking it and 2) boosting their rating up now would put them at an M rating, which means a huge number of the retail stores would flat-out refuse to sell the game to minors, which would take a massive chunk out of EA's profit and customer base.

Totally agree with you and Pirate.

Despite not playing the game for a while, when I do I play it I play to create and live in a world that isn't reality where I can do (mostly) whatever I want. If you add Cancer and Aids to the game it's like bring more of depressing reality into the game. I can see why it would be interesting to have in the game, but I'd prefer to keep my game (and I say this without meaning to be offensive) non-depressing, because in my opinion these things will destroy the escape from reality that the Sims 3, to me, is mostly about.

Also, like Pirate and Zokugai said, the rating would likely increase. They are very strong subjects, and adding them to a game with a T rating would likely be impossible as most parents may not want to expose their children/teens, or allow them to explore, such serious subjects yet. It would likely, like Zokugai said, boost the game up to an M rating, which would destroy a large part of their sales.

Back to the wheelchair: I, myself, think a wheelchair could be fine if it was limited to maybe injuries like a broken leg or something as other diseases, maybe a Sim breaking their back, would be too intense for younger audiences. I think if they were to add diseases back they would need to keep it looking 'friendly'; not as depressing as real life. Maybe tone it down a little, maybe avoid having Sims screaming in agony when they injure themselves

Unfortunately, this is a strong topic for many reasons. I think mods, if EA or a lot of people disagreed with having these in the game, would be the best option as they are things you decide on. I'm not saying EA couldn't add the option to turn off diseases in the game, but it's hard for them to advertise such serious topics when selling the expansion pack (or maybe stuff pack) anyway. Like, they can't just make an advert saying "First, we had World Adventures...Then Ambitions...Then Late Night, Generations, Pets and Showtime! And now...We have Cancer!" I mean of course they could advertise it subtly or say these are now included in the game (optionally), but it's still not easy. (Also, hopefully no one was offended by that joke I had made; it wasn't made to be offensive to anyone with Cancer, and I apologise if it has been offensive).
With mods they aren't advertised on television where the public will see them, so buyers may not be aware of these things that can be added to the game which would prevent a lot of arguments (unless, of course, people stumbled across them and started a complaint), and they can easily be removed if the player finds them too depressing or something; so in my opinion mods may be the best option. I hope I am getting across what I mean, I feel like what I've written in this paragraph doesn't make sense for some reason
Mad Poster
#20 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 11:31 AM
Hey they have canes, death, killer plants, aliens that rape male sims in Sims 2, and old age. Who calls dibs on wheelchairs not being allowed, huh? They could easily make them. Think of a wheelchair sim being like a toddler adult hybrid with a moving highchair. As for disease, I believe they did that with food sickness and mummies. What makes for the older rating in a movie, wheelchairs or sex. They already snuck the more mature thing past the radar, right? They could gradually do things, like with canes. Here's your little friend... the sims is about making whatever you want in your story of sims, as already stated by Will Wright back when he played Sims 2. If you don't want it, don't use it, or make it.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Lincoln_Broadsheet

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#21 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 11:38 AM
Strollers are used by adult sims to transport toddlers. When they reach an area that they can't access via stroller (due to stairs, steepness, etc.) they pop the kid out of the stroller, walk past the obstacle, and then put the kid back in. With a wheelchair-bound sim, this would not be possible, unless you expect them to get out of the chair and crawl up a flight of stairs, dragging their chair behind them, and then get back in. Wheelchair accessibility has not been built into the game and it would be a BIG task to go through and make sure all public buildings have ramps and whatnot. And there would be a -ton- of interactions that would have to be changed - animations for all sims interacting with a wheelchair-bound sim would have to be duplicated and modified, as well as tons of new objects made to allow that sim to do daily tasks like bathing, using the toilet, cooking, etc... "They could easily make them" is just simply not true, if you think about how many things would have to be changed and added to make it work beyond a novelty object for able-bodied sims to play with.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 11:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Strollers are used by adult sims to transport toddlers.

They have a team. They could do it if they want, which would be probably somewhere around Sims 4. I'm not arguing anything at all here... they could but they won't, because it doesn't tie into what they are working on currently. They did make Lincoln way back.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 11:47 AM
I think the diseases we had in TS2 were light enough for the sims. Food poisoning could happen to anyone, cold or flu as well, maybe some allergies. They need to add some remedies like hot tea, vitamins, vaccines. I loved the hot soup from TS2. Also, I think you could probably make a blind sim just by giving them a pair of black glasses and a walking cane.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
Also, I think you could probably make a blind sim just by giving them a pair of black glasses and a walking cane.

Maybe. Blind people are pretty capable, just give them a few differently designed objects for looks, like a computer with a different name to make it seem designed differently. In real life they can ride bikes for instance.

world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#25 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 11:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KKiryu007Joker
They have a team. They could do it if they want, which would be probably somewhere around Sims 4. I'm not arguing anything at all here... they could but they won't, because it doesn't tie into what they are working on currently. They did make Lincoln way back.

Yes, they are -capable- of doing so, but the amount of effort it would take to make that ONE item work properly in game would be -massive-. It would require a major overhaul of almost all aspects of the game. It's not like just making a stroller, where an adult sim pops a kid into it and uses it when convenient and doesn't when it's not. To devote a whole team of meshers, animators, and coders to one item - which is, I daresay, not something that is wanted by many simmers - just doesn't make any sense.
Page 1 of 4