Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2015 at 12:44 AM
Default Using CAW to spot "problem areas" in existing world?
Hello folks! I've recently acquired Roaring Heights and find the lack of empty lots unsatisfying; so I originally planned to add more empty lots in the empty space beyond the pool/Capps' house along the little roads there. But I only just learned that doing so may potentially break the routing if I do it in-game, as opposed to CAW.

Unfortunately, I'm already a bit along my RH save and would prefer not to start a new one. So am I doing right in checking for unroutable areas in CAW and by avoiding these, I can safely place empty lots in the rest of the world? (I'm not bulldozing any existing lots, which seems to have caused issues for other players.) I've heard that the general issue with broken routing seems to appear from placing lots on terrain painted with blue unroutable terrain paint in CAW. I did check out the tutorial for basic routing in the forum, but apparently it's considered obsolete? (The white lines seem to flash on and off depending on how much/where I zoom in, too.)

I do plan to make over the world in CAW eventually, but it's quite a bit of a daunting task to take on at the moment, and I would rather not start over with my save for now. So is it safe/a good idea to use this method, or am I doing everything wrong? Sorry, I'm a complete noob to these things - it took me forever just to set up Nraas' mods right.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 9:46 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't place lots in-game over blue painted routing paint anyway, and as far as the white lines flashing and disappearing, that's a normal thing. It doesn't mean the routing is bad. I believe the problem lies in placing the lot itself whether it's on good or bad routing. I've read that after time the lot no longer works properly. However, I've never personally had a problem, other simmers have.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 1:16 AM
Thanks for the reply! Hmm. I've heard that usually the routing/lot problems crop up quite a way down the line, especially if you're using Overwatch and ErrorTrap - I guess I'll just take a risk and see what happens. The RH population is all going to be related to each other in another two generations or so at the rate we're going, so I'm in desperate need of some housing for new sims.