Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 2:09 AM
Default Big green patches
Hi everyone....

i recently read through many tutorials and decided to have a go at recoloring clothes. Im doing pretty well for a beginner....but i always have a problem with using black...it ALWAYS turns out with these big green patches.

See this pic

See the big green ring? these green patches always show up when i try to recolor things black no matter what method i use.

Any tips to reduce that green would be awesome
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 3:14 AM
That's Body Shop compression. There are a couple of things you can try:

1) You can add a bit of noise to the background. That often helps get rid of the patches of green and purple.

2) You can save your texture as a PNG file with transparency, and then use the "Build DXT..." tool in SimPE to import your texture directly into the recolour. That will bypass the Body Shop compression, and your texture will look cleaner. I've had to do this a few times when Body Shop munched my dark recolours really badly. (If you do this, make sure you set the "Sharpen" pull-down menu to "None"... not "Smoothen".)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 6:51 AM Last edited by NeonSim : 22nd Mar 2011 at 7:02 AM.
thanks very much for those tips.....as for the 2nd one, I am recoloring the top using the 'hue & saturation' slider. So will step 2 be something useful in that situation coz im not actually using an external texture? sorry if i am daft but as i said im still learning

Thanks very much........... :D
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 7:21 PM
You can still do the second method even if you're just using the Hue & Saturation slider. That method depends on using an external texture (the PNG file), which you'll have to make in Photoshop (or GIMP or whatever image editor you use). That's actually the method I'd recommend, because it gives better results.

To make a PNG file with transparency, you'll need to take your BMP texture (the one you usually edit) and sort of combine it with the alpha (the black and white file). Anything that's black on the alpha needs to be transparent on your texture. Then you can save it as a PNG file and import it into SimPE.

I'm trying to find you a tutorial that explains the steps, but I can't seem to find one. If you need step-by-step instructions, let me know.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 4:15 AM
hi...i REALLY do need step by step instructions to be honest. I normally try and find solutions to all my Simming problems by myself but I searched high and low and cant seem to solve this alone.....i feel like a pain to ask but if you are able to hook me up to something more explanatory i would really be very grateful, preferably with pics if thats at all possible....
Forum Resident
#6 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 12:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NeonSim
hi...i REALLY do need step by step instructions to be honest. I normally try and find solutions to all my Simming problems by myself but I searched high and low and cant seem to solve this alone.....i feel like a pain to ask but if you are able to hook me up to something more explanatory i would really be very grateful, preferably with pics if thats at all possible....
I looked at your picture,but it doesn't show what you're talking about maybe it is at wrong angle. Anyway I ses gimp& other programs have something similar. Are you using Hue-saturation or colorize function?. Hue saturation will likey not work. If you use colorize, you can reduce the saturation& play around with hue & lightness . If that doesn't do it sometimes i use smudge tool by double clicking& increasing the size of the brush to manually smudge in the darker color over the spots and or afterwards use the filter " HSV Noise" &adjust athe amount so you get even noise over the garment & this is very effective. I use noise on plain old solid paint to make it look like a fabric sometimes if I don't like the maxis shading. You'll have to play around a bit try this & that a bit. Once you're more proficiant ,you'll like it more& more. Good Luck to you. Any doubts, just ask & I'll try to help.I'm still learning.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2011 at 8:22 PM
Smudging and colorizing will do nothing in this case. The problem is Body Shop compression, and it doesn't matter if your texture is as smooth as silk; some colours just get munched. Black, dark brown, and dark purple colours tend to be the worst.

Okay, let's start with your BMP texture and alpha. I'm going to assume you're using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (if not, the idea is still the same). In your Layers in Photoshop, double-click on your background and say "Okay" when it wants you to make a new layer. This will prevent the background from being locked, and now you can delete bits to make your transparency. Copy and paste your alpha (the black and white image) over your texture. Use the Magic Wand tool to select all the black bits on your alpha.

Now, in your Layers, select your background (it's probably called "Layer 0" now).

Once you've done that, cut or delete your selection. Now your texture should be left with just the coloured bits that will show up on your mesh, and the rest will be transparent (in Photoshop, these transparent areas will be checkered grey and white). Delete the alpha layer and save your new texture as a PNG file.

Now go into SimPE and open up your recolour. Click on the texture resource (in my example, there are two because there's an alpha layer... but yours will probably have one).

Right click on the texture itself and in the menu, select "Build DXT...". This will bring up a new window. Click on the little blue "open" to get the PNG image you just made. Once you've done that, you need to select "None" from the Sharpen pull-down menu.

Then you just click the "Build" button and your PNG will be imported. Click "Commit", save your file, and you're done! Your texture should look a lot better in the game now.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Mar 2013 at 2:28 AM
its has taken me a million years to reply but im so glad for your advice because it WORKS!! thanks so much for taking the time to show me that Fakepeeps!!!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Mar 2013 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NeonSim
its has taken me a million years to reply but im so glad for your advice because it WORKS!! thanks so much for taking the time to show me that Fakepeeps!!!

No problem. I'm glad you were able to get it to work!