Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 3:26 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Clothing Thumbnails Showing As Black and Pink in CAS
Hi There,

I think the title says it all. I found a post a couple months last active April 11, 2014 but my issue seems to be a bit different. The problem only happened after I deleted the CAS Thumbnails cache file to reset sim thumbnails. I haven't added any skin tones in quite some time and I can't find a skintone with default in the name but I'm not sure that's the issue for sure anyway. Any help is appreciated!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 8:16 AM
Can you tell us what your graphics card is?

[Note to self: Thousandth post, yay!]
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 2:04 AM
Hi There,

It's a standard Windows 7 laptop ATI Radeon 4250
Theorist
#4 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 1:24 PM
Unfortunately, your graphics card is not really up for playing the game. Take a look here.

Your profile says that your newest expansion pack installed is Apartment Life. But the Radeon 4250 starts experiencing issues starting from Nightlife.

My recommendation would be to cut down on EPs, and to uninstall all the EPs down to University. However, your current game configuration (to Apartment Life) won't be compatible with the game configuration of University, as AL game engine is much newer than UNI.

Of course, you could continue playing as if nothing happened. However, after a while, you might start experiencing more severe artifacts than corrupted thumbnails. Take a look at this handy guide which explains this issue further, even if you're not that tech-savy.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:43 PM
I think you're jumping the gun a bit. The game has been running fine for the last 3 years and this is a recent problem. I know I can eventually solve the problem myself but was hoping someone else has had the issue before and knew of a quick solve. The problem started when I deleted the CAS/Clothing Cache file which really has nothing to do with my graphics card.
Theorist
#6 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 9:14 PM
The computer-car analogy story I linked you to above explains what I'm trying to say.

A computer that can handle TS2 well should definitely not be displaying pink/corrupted thumbnails. Exception to this would be broken CC, but that's another story.

If it's just the thumbnail you're concerned about, try ctrl+rightclicking the problematic image. That should make the game take another thumbnail of the clothing.

I'm not telling you to scrap all your years of play over a sudden discovery. I'm telling you to take in consideration that you might be giving your computer more work than it can do, therefore wearing it out much faster.
Site Helper
#7 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 10:34 PM
It's often possible to play the game for a while before you start to see symptoms of the damage that you are causing. Once you start damaging your computer, though, things are only going to get worse.