Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 5:40 PM
Default Modern House, need feedback on interior design and landscaping
So I've gotten back into the sims recently, and decided to start making my own houses. I really liked how this one turned out for the most part, and wanted to share it. Only problem is I don't know what to do with the outside at all, and I want some more advice for the interior decoration.

On top of that, the house was originally made for a family that had a teenage daughter and a child son, should I make it less personalized?

Any other feedback would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 21st Apr 2014 at 11:11 PM
Armiel has a series of great landscaping tutorials. part one
On the exterior you could try stone or a different color of the same texture you use on the rest of the home.

I'd also suggest to use different floors in parts of the house (Tiles in the kitchen, carpet in the bedroom etc.)
The kitchen you've used is an outdoor kitchen, and the carpets in the living room aren't really modern, either.
And there's a window sunken into the foundation, which is seen in the 2nd exterior picture.

Hope it helped a little I'm not a good advisor via writing or texting. I'd had to be next to you and show you what you could do

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#3 Old 2nd May 2014 at 10:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by almostawesome
So I've gotten back into the sims recently, and decided to start making my own houses. I really liked how this one turned out for the most part, and wanted to share it. Only problem is I don't know what to do with the outside at all, and I want some more advice for the interior decoration.

On top of that, the house was originally made for a family that had a teenage daughter and a child son, should I make it less personalized?

Any other feedback would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Some thoughts on the interior decor:

The living room is the area I have the most thoughts about. I agree that the rugs don't fit the style of the house, both in their style and the layered effect. It looks cluttered compared to the rest of the house's aesthetic. One rug, with either a base color or a geometric pattern, might fit better. I'd rotate the chair closer to us further towards us; in real life, anyone sitting there would be giving their shoulder/back to people on the sofa nearest to us. If I were designing this room, I'd probably try changing the colors of the chairs, too, since they don't look like they are actually a matching set with the sofas (but that's not as big a deal). I think a house plant in the corner might make the room feel a little more alive.

I don't think the dining room is bad, although I'm not crazy on the wood pattern on the chairs. The grain is very large and noticeable, and while the shape says modern, the pattern says rustic. I don't think it mixes well. I think something with a smaller grain would look more in keeping. I like the kitchen; the brick could read as outdoors, but it could also read as modern loft.

The master bedroom looks very nice, but I think it could use a piece with more color in there. Maybe a bright purple armchair in the corner by the windows, or a vivid piece of modern wall art above the bed?

I can't see enough of the kids' rooms to really give my thoughts, but I wouldn't personally mind downloading a house that had more personalized bedrooms. The upstairs hallway does look a bit bare.

Hope any of these thoughts are helpful!
Inventor
#4 Old 2nd May 2014 at 6:14 PM
You already got helpful advice from Johnny_Bravo and tedw, there's not much I could add. I'd only wanted to say that I really like the shape of your house and the white & brick pattern for the house. I think a wooden (high) fence would look good for this lot instead of the red brick wall.

Also I would like to ask you to post bigger pictures as it is very difficult to see any details in those pictures. I wouldn't say I'm blind as a bat but looking at the attached floorplans is (for me) like looking at an abstract painting with green and white blots.