Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 2:49 AM
Making a Custom Object Recolorable
I don't quite know what it is, but for some reason, I can't recolor the island from the SimsConnection "Ski Lodge Bar and Grill Set".

This I found quite odd because all the other objects are recolorable, so I wanted to find a way to fix it so that I could use the design I made for it.

(When I say it's not recolorable, the design doesn't show up in the game.)

I've searched high and low for a tutorial on making predownloaded custom content recolorable, but to no avail.

Can anyone help me on this?

[Insert witty and hilarious signature here]
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 3:10 AM
Hi - do you mean that this is an object you have in your downloads folder? If so you will need to use the object workshop(OW) in SimPE - not the wizard. Just open OW, select the object and select recolour not clone. It is possible that this is a slave object and so does nor recolour itself, but I would have to see the package to be sure. Is this a pay item or a free DL?

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 3:44 AM
Pay Item, I've made the recolor using OW, the odd thing is, I've recolored the other two counters in the set and had no problem applying the recolor in game.

I'd post it here but it's a pay item... :/

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 7:19 AM
There are three options, either:
- it's a slave object as part of a repository set (in which case, you'll need to recolour the master object and the slave recolours should appear),
- it's been incorrectly built and needs repairing, or
- it's never been recolour enabled.

If it's the second, then it depends on how it is broken. If the problem is that it's just got misnamed subsets, then renaming them in the GMDC will fix it. If it's something more complicated, then we would really need to see it to say what's gone wrong.

If it's the third option, probably the easiest way to fix it is to turn on your CEP, clone an island, then import the mesh and textures into it. Cloning with the CEP enabled automatically makes objects recolourable, but cloning without the CEP only enables recolouring for object which were recolourable in the base game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 9:26 PM Last edited by Arialonomus : 8th Dec 2008 at 12:35 AM.
Well I wouldn't know between the last two, and I'm fairly sure it's not a slave object, so I posted the package.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  SC_jannaSkiResortBarCounterIsland.rar (405.7 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 11:01 PM
Hi, well I took a look at it - if it is the master object then that would be odd for an island counter. On Numenors template the island is always a slave - which leads me to believe it is a repository object - but there are no materials defined in the materials mesh in the GMND. Do you know how to look if the other pieces of the set are master objects? if so then you need to put the materials in the GMND and change the information in the shape to match. There are textures in the package, but that is no guarantee this is not a slave or meant to be a slave - they could just be left behind. I think if you can follow Echos advice for option 3 that would be the best thing to do.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 11:34 PM
I'm not sure how to go about that, I'm not exactly profiecent with SimPE

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Dec 2008 at 11:43 PM
well since it is a pay item, can't you ask the site you got it from? If the object is advertised as recolourable then they should help you - you bought it, you deserve service. Alternatively, you could go and take a look at Numenors templates and ignorant bliss repository tutorial - if you need more help I will try to help you.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 12:39 AM
The site I got it from doesn't reply to E-Mail (or at least in my experience) so that might not work, but I'm going to do number 3.

I just need to find out how to do that and I'm good.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#10 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 8:42 AM
None of the MMATs in your object have the same GUID as your object. When you made the clone and changed the GUID, did you forget to click "Update MMATs and commit"? Other than that, it looks like it should be recolourable.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 11:00 PM
I never cloned the item, thats straigh from the website. I don't mess around with cloning.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 1:25 AM
Well then the person who originally cloned it may have made a mistake?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 1:32 AM
Maybe so, is there a simple way to fix the error without having to clone and import meshes?