Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 9:10 PM
Default Moving YA's from the Main hood to University
I recently installed Squinge's Teen to young adult no college mod along with the rest of the college mod pack because I strongly dislike the way Maxis implemented the transition to college. I would much prefer for teens to be able to age up into adults at home once their natural birthday arrives, then go to college. The thing that I'm having a problem with is that I can't figure out a solid way of moving the newly aged YA out of the main hood into the university sub hood. The only way I could figure out was to load an already presant college household and use insim to add the new YA to that household. When I tested this out though my test sim ended up getting the jump bug for a while until I saved, reloaded the lot, moved her out as a dormie then back into the household. After that for the rest of the 15 minute or so that I was running the game she didn't seem to have anymore issues. I would have kept testing longer but I was testing it at my own college and had go to class by then.
While this is a work around I can live with, if all for my sims end up with this jump bug that I have to repair when I send them to college I can see that getting old fast. So I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas how to move YA sims from the main neighborhood to the university hood.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 10:48 PM
There is an adult go to college mod but for YA if you want them at a uni I would really do as the game wants, send them as teens and let them grow up, I feel you will have issues if you don't. The fact you had a jump bug I would expect that or worse issues. I really don't think it's worth it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#3 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 11:27 PM
I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish because a teen will age up naturally to an adult at home in a vanilla game if you do not send them to college. If you sent the teen to college they turn into a Young Adult in the college neighborhood so it sounds like it already does what you want without modding. Unless that was a typ and you meant you would rather have a teen age to a young adult and then go to college, not an adult.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 11:30 PM
@Charmful You can age a teen into a YA at home, I do YA in the main hood all the time. The issue is once they are YA you can't send them to a UNI sub hood. They want them to have a YA birthday at home then send them to uni since they don't like seeing them go as teens.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 11:33 PM
Sometimes I wanted teens to look more like young adults when they left for university. Is that what you mean? But then I figured that they are still just teens and if you've ever worked at a uni and watched the new students arrive each year they really do look like kids still at achool.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 11:35 PM
There are lots of things in this game that we have to suspend our reality check on/breaks immersion. This is one of the cases where it is best to either say, well this is the sims universe not mine so here they go as teens, or try to avoid thinking about it and just pretend it's the way you want it to be.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 11:38 PM
I’m in my fourth year of uni (uni in my country lasts 5 years) and I still look like a school child, but makeup helps a bit with that

I normally play a teen until the last few hours or even minutes before they’d age up, and then send them to college using that tool in uni hoods that lets you pick teens for college, I find it the most convenient. I don’t mind them ageing up in the uni subhood.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 11:41 PM
When I was 24 I was asked if I would be leaving school this year (highschool) That ends at 17. I was <_<

~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#9 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 11:46 PM
I guess I already break my immersion enough because it never bugged me that teens arrive at university to change into a young adult. I mean what the difference in looks between a graduating senior in high school and an incoming college freshman?

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 4:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
When I was 24 I was asked if I would be leaving school this year (highschool) That ends at 17. I was <_<

The day I turned 35 I had someone honestly mistake me for a teenager; she thought I was 17! (I was wearing a hat, so I guess it hid all the grey at my temples.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 4:09 AM
Joandsarah I do appreciate your concern, however I fully understand the risk of messing around with how the game works and willing to take the risk, other wise I would never play with any mods at all. I at least want to try what I can to achieve the effect I desire. That is why we test new mods or ideas before risking corrupting our regular game. That said thank you for mentioning the adult go to college mod, I will definitely have to give that a try.

Speaking of tests I have completed a more controlled test, this time I tested Squinge's mod+ my move sims to uni hood idea in my secondary sims 2 data folder that I use for building and mod testing. I had preformed my perverse test, that resulted in the error, in a throwaway hood in my main folder since I didn't have the flash drive with my build/test folder with me at the time.This time the results were drastically different. As in I did not get any errors at all, and I played for a full semester with out running into any kind of issue. Since my main folder has probably around 20+ mods and my secondary folder at the time of testing only had notownieregen, antiredundence,blender,insim, and all of Squinge's mega college pack mods, the error's I got before were likely either a mod conflict or a one off thing.

My issue with sending teen's to college to become YA doesn't have anything to do with the way they look i.e.. I don't think teens look to young to be college students. As some of you said high school seniors and college freshman aren't necessary all that different either in looks or maturity.

Basically I have two main issues with it. The biggest one is that as someone who was raised in a family that holds high value to education, while simultaneously growing up in a community where education is at best seen as unimportant by many, having to send sims before they have closure to their high school years strongly bothers me. To me it feels like in the sims 2 universe not only are high school "drop outs" able to attained college at all but students MUST drop out to attained. Obviously that is extremely backwards thinking IRL but is the kind of thinking that left my high school peers in such deep trouble. Pre uni, I would always throw my soon- to- be- adult teens a big party which in my mind doubled as their birthday and high school graduation celebration. To me this would give me closure that yes, they have completed their high school education and are ready to move forward with their live as independent adults. Having them age up into YA/Adults on the road out side of a dorm without their whole family and friends to celebrate with them just don't have the same affect to me.

This leads into my second issue, I know that you don't have to send your teens to college early and you can wait until just before the game would age them up but you still have to chose between sending them to college or giving them a birthday/HS graduation/coming of age celebration. Could you image your parent asking you "So do you want to go to college or do you want to celebrate your 18th birthday?" Um can't I have both? Honestly in my family the only celebration you should expect if you flat out choose not to go to college is coming home to your stuff on the front lawn with a note telling you to prove you can survive on your own without any higher education. Why should my sims be penalized for going to college, and rewarded for not?

Well Yah that basically the reasons I dislike the way college "admission" works in the sims 2. What I'm trying to do is make it work more like it does in sims 3, where your sims graduates HS by becoming an adult, then goes to college.
Scholar
#12 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 4:17 AM
All you young-looking people! When I was 13, somebody assumed I was my brother's mother. He was 11.

I think Sims are teens for far too long, so mine only spend five or six days in that category (equivalent to ages 13-18) before either going to college or aging to adults. I don't have a problem with them aging up on campus; realistically, most students are still teenagers when they arrive at college, even if they have reached their legal majority.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
When I was 13, somebody assumed I was my brother's mother. He was 11.

Oh, that happened to me too. At least once, probably twice, idk. Maybe I look "ageless."
Scholar
#14 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 4:34 AM
Keyqueen - You could still throw a party for them the day before they leave for college. It wouldn't technically be a birthday party, since they couldn't have the grow-up cake, but wouldn't a family reunion or sports party be possible? They could have pizza and whatever dessert their parents could make, so it would mark the end of their high school days, but I think it not really registering that they're now adults until they get to uni and Mum and Dad drive off is actually quite realistic.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by keyqueen
Joandsarah I do appreciate your concern, however I fully understand the risk of messing around with how the game works and willing to take the risk, other wise I would never play with any mods at all. I at least want to try what I can to achieve the effect I desire. That is why we test new mods or ideas before risking corrupting our regular game. That said thank you for mentioning the adult go to college mod, I will definitely have to give that a try.

I think you have me slightly wrong, I am all for modding the game, my game is heavily modded, I am saying in this instance I don't think you will achieve what you want. You would be better off playing YA college in the main hood. That can either be done at home via the college pack or you can grab Lions Gold record over on... I want to say Simbiology but it might be MATY, then you can make a working uni dorm in the main hood and have your YA live there.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#16 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 5:08 AM
I’m not into parties and I didn’t celebrate my 18th birthday (I would hate people gathering because of my birthday, it’d feel very weird), and after finishing high school I just enjoyed the longest summer break in my life (the last semester of school finished in spring and uni started in October), I could spend ages without having to go out much and without the need to get up early (I prefer to get up between 12:00 and 20:00, however it has happened later, as my sleeping hours are random), it was amazing

Also there’s nothing wrong with the street. It’s a perfect place to age up, do homework, hang out with other sims, everything

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
The day I turned 35 I had someone honestly mistake me for a teenager; she thought I was 17! (I was wearing a hat, so I guess it hid all the grey at my temples.)

I was in my 40s when I was asked to provide ID in a liquor store. I thought she was joking.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 5:55 AM Last edited by keyqueen : 6th Apr 2017 at 6:09 AM.
I do understand what you mean, I just meant that if people weren't willing to take risks and challenge the game's limitations then many of mods we use today would never have been created. It seems strange to me that it would be possible to able bend the games limitations to creating a mod that allows YA's to remain in the main hood and function normally and yet not be possible to bend the game/mod to allow them to live where the game originally intended in the first place.That said knowing EAxis's strange approach to many things it is very possible that I am chasing a wild goose but unless/until the game gives me a definite "Nope, not going to doing that" I'm feel I can at least try.Obviously I am not going to risk messing up my real hood before I'm confidant that this can be safely done.

So far it even seems to be paying off, as I said in my perverse post while preforming the same test in a mostly mod free save folder, I was able to successfully move a YA into an existing uni household using insim and play through the first semester of her freshmen year without any errors or glitches. From what I saw once she was moved in every thing ran as it would if I had moved her to uni as a teen. In my first test I was using my main folder in which has all my usual mods installed so it is possible that the error I was getting during this test had to do with a mod conflict which might have been agitated by the actions I was preforming. If that's the case then it would be a simple matter of finding the conflicting mod. Well as simple as the 50/50 method ever gets.

Anyway I do appreciate you giving me alternatives, and want you to know that I will be considering and weighing all alternatives offered. After all that was a large part of the reason I posted this thread, to see if anyone could offer ideas I might not have thought off. For instance you mentioned in your fist post the "adults go to college mod", this did peek my interest and I will definitely try this out as well. Though I'm having some trouble locating it, any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Quote: Originally posted by Voeille
I’m not into parties and I didn’t celebrate my 18th birthday (I would hate people gathering because of my birthday, it’d feel very weird), and after finishing high school I just enjoyed the longest summer break in my life (the last semester of school finished in spring and uni started in October), I could spend ages without having to go out much and without the need to get up early (I prefer to get up between 12:00 and 20:00, however it has happened later, as my sleeping hours are random), it was amazing

Also there’s nothing wrong with the street. It’s a perfect place to age up, do homework, hang out with other sims, everything

This is Me IRL as well. I don't really like having hug crowds around me or being the center of attention as well. In fact I just entered my first relationship this year and when my birthday came around I didn't even tell my boyfriend because I didn't want him to feel like he needed to make a big deal of it as I had stop celebrating my own birthday years ago. I still like for my sims to have parties and celebrate important events together. My mom planned on taking me to Ireland and England after I finished high school but a family situation (same one that made me stop caring about my birthday) at the time made that imposable. It is still a big regret for both of us.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 6:16 AM
I don't have it, but I think it's by Ancient Highway. Try doing a where can i find post on the WCIF board.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 6:31 AM
Thank you, joandsarah.

Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Keyqueen - You could still throw a party for them the day before they leave for college. It wouldn't technically be a birthday party, since they couldn't have the grow-up cake, but wouldn't a family reunion or sports party be possible? They could have pizza and whatever dessert their parents could make, so it would mark the end of their high school days, but I think it not really registering that they're now adults until they get to uni and Mum and Dad drive off is actually quite realistic.

This is something I have considered and even attempted in the past, but with out aging it still felt off for me. Actually what I did was wait till the sims actual birthday (when they have one day left on their age meter) threw a birthday party the second they got home from school, turned off ageing(I have an age duration mod that also changes the time of day sims age advance from 6pm to 12am so non of the teens family member's ages were affected as the party was over well before midnight) then had them blow out the cake, but because they didn't actually age up the party was a disaster. After the party was over I turned aging back on and had them move out to college. He spent the fist year at college whining about his lousy party even after having several successful sports parties. So I guess the moral of this story is if your going to throw a birthday party make sure someone ages, even if it's just the neighbor kid.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 7:26 AM
There are cakes that allow you to blow them out without aging. Celebrate anytime Birthday Cake http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=228835

~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#22 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn

As soon as I had turned 24, I went to the DMV to have my driver's license renewed. The woman who assisted me thought I was there to get my adult license. Then, a few months ago when I renewed once more shortly before my 30th bday, no one said anything similar.

I've had quite a few people comment me that I looked 18 during my mid-20's. That stopped about completely after I shed off a few pounds and didn't need glasses anymore because of Lasiks. Nevertheless I do kinda miss those comments.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by keyqueen
Honestly in my family the only celebration you should expect if you flat out choose not to go to college is coming home to your stuff on the front lawn with a note telling you to prove you can survive on your own without any higher education.

Ouch, that's a bit harsh. Not everyone goes to University.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 9:38 AM
Plenty of successful people did not go to university. Sir Richard Branson and David Karp (founder of Tumblr) would be the most well known.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 2:30 PM
That was my grandparents policy with their kids, either go to college or move out. Though they weren't quite that harsh about it in reality. Of course I do know many people can be successful with out a college education. Where I live however this is increasingly hard as most jobs that pay a significant salary lean heavily toward at least two year degrees. Those that don't, are quickly filled up or barely pay enough for a single adult to live off, not even taking into account any dependents that they might have.
Page 1 of 2