Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 3:32 AM Last edited by TommoPuppyX : 10th Apr 2010 at 4:37 AM.
Default I need a texture from The Sims 3 for a mod for another game (is this in the right place?)
Hey everyone! I hope this is in the right place now... Anyway, I've been making a texture hack for Super Smash Bros. Brawl based on my original character, Tina. I just have to add one more finishing touch and it's basically done. I've made her in The Sims 3 too and I'd like to use the skirt pattern that I used there.

Here's a picture of her: http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/90381266-4.jpg

I can't seem to find any tutorials on doing this, so I was wondering, since we can add patterns to the game is it also possible to rip patterns from The Sims 3, and if so, could someone please send me the DDS file for the large diamond and skull pattern? (or tell me how to get it myself?)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Apr 2010 at 11:56 PM
You could buy the game and get it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 11:11 AM
I do have the game, silly. How else would I make a Sim of my character and have the screenshot on my Xfire profile? Furthermore, the whole point of this post is that I don't know how and I can't find anything that tells me how to do it, and maybe if you actually read my post you would have known. I can easily find tutorials of the reverse but they make no mention of being able to extract patterns too. Can anyone actually help me out? Please?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 11:13 AM
I don't think it'd really be very easy to even extract the pattern and try to use it in another game. The individual parts of the pattern that you can change in Create a Style are separate and not exactly easy to combine. It'd be a lot easier to just stick that pattern on a wall or something, take a screenshot, and crop it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 11:26 AM
Well I already knew that about the layers and didn't really see that as an issue (if anything it makes things kinda easier) and don't the DDS files have all the layers in the one file anyway? But, really? Are they that hard to extract? *sigh* I guess after this long period of pondering I could have just either taken a snapshot or replicated it myself. Damn it, oh well. Thanks anyway...
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 11:32 AM
They're not THAT hard, but finding the right one would be a pain, and recombining them to layer properly and with the right colours would be too. I have all the textures extracted to a folder and I'm totally comfy in DDS files and Photoshop, but I'd still go the route of taking a snapshot on a flat surface in-game for this kind of thing.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 12:33 PM
How did you extract them? I don't mind going through the pain of searching through them all if it means I can get the best result I can get on my Brawl texture.
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 1:12 PM
You can use s3pe. Look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages - the x86 bit may not be necessary. I think they're in Fullbuild0.package. A pain to go through if you don't have a DDS thumbnail viewer for windows, but Google can probably help with that.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Apr 2010 at 3:53 PM Last edited by TommoPuppyX : 15th Apr 2010 at 4:22 PM.
Yeah, I think I'm starting to see what you mean about this being a huge pain. XD Wow, so many files.

Actually, after a fair bit of searching I found an XML about the game's patterns, and upon reading that I was lead to another XML with a name that fits the description of the exact pattern I'm after. However, I don't know where to go from here. There was one line in particular that caught my attention:
Code:
<param default="($assetRoot)\InGame\Complates\Materials\Geometric\ArgyleDiamond\argyleSkull01Lrg_3.tga" 
However, I don't know where $assetRoot is, and therefore I don't know where I'm going to find that TGA file. Where do I go now?

EDIT: The DDS was in FinalBuild2.package. TAKE THAT EA! Thank you so much for your help, dude. Seriously.