Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 4:34 AM
Default Finally Have System that Should Rock this Game - Please Help me Install Correctly/Best
I just got my beauty of a desktop set up and am looking forward to finally being able to play this game after 2 or more years away due to loading times/crashes/awful CAST lag/general EA messiness.
I have an SSD with 178GB free, ready for the lineup of Expansion Packs, mods and CC
16GB of memory
GeForce GTX 980
Windows 10 (This is a source of ??)

My goal is to play most of the expansion packs, if not all as well as the majority of the stuff packs(cuz screw that Katy Perry crap), a good amount of store content, and at least a few dozen CC hairs/skin/sliders/whatnot
I generally play with AM, so please take that into consideration although I am open to mixing with/using NRAAS as well.

Please! Give me any suggestions you have about doing this right.
At this point, it's almost like a college course to learn how to get everything solid. (Or maybe I'm just being over-cautious, tell me)

Questions I have:
1. Is Windows 10 going to be a problem for me with mods/cc? Will I have no choice but to use the Compatibility Feature? How compatible is the CC out there/in here?
2. I realize I have little choice but to use Origin, but am hoping to ditch the launcher. Bad idea?
3. Is de-crapifying still a thing for CC?
4. Is it safe to just move my CC from my old system to this one?
5. Should I just re-buy all the games on Steam and play them that way? Are they more stable that way?
6. What the hell is my login information for the store stuff now? Mostly kidding on this one, but really, that alone is going to probably take hours + to resolve.

Thank you for any information you can offer to help my game finally fly as it should. I've waited so long.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 4:42 AM
1. Windows 10 is a bit too new to say either or.
2. I think you can ditch the launcher as usual. I have Origins and I don't need the launcher.
3. Try not to use decrapified items. I find them often unstable. Not to mention they are illegal.
4. It is safe to move CC. Just don't move cache files.
5. I find Origins more stable. But I bought most of mt TS3 expansions on Steam, then use the same CDkey to register with Origins. I can play TS3 without rebuying. I am not sure it can go the other way around though.
6. You can play without login to TS3 store at all. Although you may need it to redownload old purchases.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 4:54 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Tomomi!
Yeah, I got all ready to install and then it hit me about Win10 being a possible issue.
Also, yes, I need my login for the old store purchases unless I just move those as well between my systems. I really have quite a bit in those alone and not sure if I log into EA, SimsForums, or Origin now to get those and gotta figure that all out yet.

I don't mind having to use Origin I suppose. And I don't know how compatible the mods/CC are with the Steam version either. Nor do I want to buy the games all over again. But if there's more stable versions of the game out there now, I'd just do it anyway.

I just don't want to do this wrongly.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 5:23 AM
There is a tiny difference between Steam and Origins version in which NRAAS mods would care about. I think ErrorTrap and Overwatch would care to know. Other than that, it is just the same game. And in fact, Origins' source is more .... direct and authentic if we have to go there.

Don't confuse Origins with thesims3 store. And bottom line, how stable your game will be will depend on these things: your system, how you install TS3, and your mod/CC. Personally I would play the game at highest patch level, 1.67. It should be the most stable.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 5:52 AM Last edited by jonas3333 : 3rd Sep 2015 at 8:34 AM.
Thank you.
I am definitely looking for people's opinions on how best to install TS3.

*added later* if there's a preferred up-to-date site/program that lists bad cc. (Familiar with Crinrict and others), I appreciate the link!
The game made me painfully careful with my nonEA cc some time ago! But, it still gets by ya, ya know?
Forum Resident
#6 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 2:31 PM
I really found this page useful over at Nraas: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+Fo...ame+Performance

It has some good tips for keeping the lag down on your game. I have an awesome gaming computer, but my biggest save file would lag so bad I couldn't play it. After doing the tips linked above though, I've not run into an issue yet
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 5:39 AM
Thanks Ifria - All my bookmarks are still not setup with my new system. That's handy and helpful to know. Curious about your system?
Can't install at the moment anyway due to my cd/dvd drive not recognizing or reading discs. Another Windows10 present to me.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 2:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonas3333
Thanks Ifria - All my bookmarks are still not setup with my new system. That's handy and helpful to know. Curious about your system?
Can't install at the moment anyway due to my cd/dvd drive not recognizing or reading discs. Another Windows10 present to me.

I use a 64bit Windows 8 ASUS Desktop with an i7 processor, 32GB RAM, and a 4GB Geforce GTX960 graphics card.

I'm glad you found the link helpful! I wish I knew how to help with the cd/dvd issue but I have no clue what could be going wrong >.<
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 3:54 PM
I have been playing sims 3 on windows 10.
It runs fine for me, Mod's and CC all work the same as they did on windows 8, No need to run it in compatibility mode.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 3:04 AM
I solved the cd/dvd issue by getting VLC as LG's updates for Win10 aren't coming out until October apparently.
So far, I've installed the base game and it seems to run just fine. Crazy quick loading screen, but of course, much to add yet. Messing with settings and whatnot.

It's great to know others are playing this in Win10 as well. Thanks a lot Gnasher! There was some strange graphical issues on the CAS screen at first, but the patch seemed to make them go away.

Looking forward to getting all the basics installed. I really enjoy that part where you get all the CC and decide what you're putting in. Anyone else love that?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 5:15 AM
New question: While installing the games (only 2 so far), I notice that the bulk of the installation falls into the Support/Help files. Now, we all know how useless those are and that Google/forums such as this are our only way to truly solve issues.
Can I delete the Support Files in all the games to save space/time??
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 12:11 AM
Me again. I've installed all the EPs and just got Island Paradise through Origin. (and 2 stuff packs). Game works fine so far. I haven't saved anything or really played yet. Still much to do.

I would like to have had the game installed in my EA folder with the other eps. Is there a way for me to move that?? I plan to just use the .exe to run anyway, but I just want everything in one folder.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 12:55 AM
The Origin install(IP) went into the Origin folder, not the EA folder with all the other games. I'd like it to be foldered with the others.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 5:16 AM
Yeah, I was lazy and didn't want to go to the store for the physical copy
Theorist
#17 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 7:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonas3333
Yeah, I was lazy and didn't want to go to the store for the physical copy

Yeah I was lazy too when I had to install on my new computer so I just logged into Origin and downloaded it from there since they have all your games anyway. After I downloaded all my TS3 and EP's, I added my CC and went from there. You never need to log into Origin to run TS3. I bypass the launcher also unless I am installing sims3packs. Everything works well and my game has the online features disabled. I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and find it runs all my games - TS2 and TS3 and MMORPG's very well. Faster with TS3 and negligible lag with TS3. No problems with TS2 at all.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 1:12 AM
Yeah. So far, the installation and game testing has gone fine. Got most of the store stuff in and almost ready to get into outside CC/mods. I'm already at 30gb here! This game!!
It's weird getting accustomed to everything all over again and I realized I don't even know my cheats anymore.
I have one dress from the store that's causing the body to be invisible. I haven't figured it out yet, but it's either one of the "Flute Forward" dresses or a boho one.
The game loads very quickly and I can barely get about 5 guesses in the loading game in before it pops on. The real test will come when I start playing and saving.

Quick question. I bought Midnight Hollow (which is incredible btw) and would like to try to fit another lot or 2 in the world using the world edit by pulling out some trees/etc. Will doing so cause routing issues and massive lag later on?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Sep 2015 at 3:15 PM
Ok - I've now downloaded over 300 files of hairs alone, and there's more hairs than just the files... quite a few more.
More questions:

1. As CC for Sims3 wanes with the years, we've lost sites like Peggy/Rose and other hairs. I've downloaded quite a few of the re-textures and such, but I'm concerned about the original meshes not being included. I plan to install files like 5-10 at a time to see what works and what does not, I guess. Any advice on this aspect of my installation?

2. Is there a program like Custard or Delphy's that I can put these files through BEFORE I install them into the game to discover if they are corrupted/bad?

Thanks again.