Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 7:11 PM Last edited by Rope : 16th Aug 2015 at 7:39 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Returing to The Sims 3 after 3 full years, trying to get everything up and running as I had it in 2012, but...
Hi guys.

I stopped playing The Sims 3 in August 2012, exactly 3 years ago, because the computing power required to run all the available content became too much for my computer.

Now, 3 years later, I have a very powerful computer and I really would like to start playing TS3 again.

I have reinstalled all the expansion packs and all the stuff packs, as well as updating the game to version 1.67.

Before proceeding to reinstate my old game saves and old mods, I wanted to make sure the game still worked with the 3booter and the FPS limiter, but it doesn't. I tried putting the necessary 4 files (3booter.exe, FPS_Limiter.exe, HookHelper.dll, Limiter_D3D9.dll) in both
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin,
but it did not work.

My FPS count is of a few thousand. I can't let the game run like that. I googled around as much as I could to see if maybe during the last couple of years there has been an updated version of it, but couldn't find anything new.

I'm running Windows 10, by the way. Last time I played I had Windows 7 and I had no problems.

EDIT: I removed a part about another problem that I have now solved

So, before I venture further with restoring my game saves and mods, I wanted to get FPS issue fixed first.

Do you guys have any suggestions for my problem? I really would like to have the joy of playing this game again! Thanks a lot in advance
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 7:19 PM
For 3booter, do you run the game using the 3booter.exe or the launcher? I'm sure you probably do it the right way, but that's the only thing I can think of to help.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 7:22 PM Last edited by Rope : 16th Aug 2015 at 7:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AmandieLove
For 3booter, do you run the game using the 3booter.exe or the launcher? I'm sure you probably do it the right way, but that's the only thing I can think of to help.

Hi Amendie, thanks a lot for your reply. I run 3booter.exe, and I also tried from the launcher just in case, to see if there was any difference. I also tried running it as Administrator. FPS cap still not there. I got like 4000 FPS or so, lol. Gonna melt my GPU.

Regarding the intro, I just realized something. I only see the Maxis intro. Is the nointro mod supposed to eliminate that?

EDIT: Okay, I see the Maxis intro had nothing to do with the mod folder not working, I found this. So now I guess my only standing problem is the FPS limiter.
Scholar
#4 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 9:17 PM
FPS limiter did not work for me in Win7 64b. No matter what I did. It starts properly, no error messages, is started as an admin like the game - tested with compatibility mode and without with no effect whatsover. Program is running but limiting is not applied. VSync locks framerate at the 60 but I have rather poor and outdated machine and it's not a solution for someone with good hardware.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 16th Aug 2015 at 10:11 PM
Same here, FPS limiter did not work.
I'm still running Win7 64bit.
You'll need a different program to limit FPS. For my Radeon HD 7900, I use RadeonPro and launch TS3 with it. It also works as a launcher if you use CCMagic

http://www.radeonpro.info/download/

I hope it works with Windows 10 as well.

Trigger: tsw3.exe in the Program Files of The Sims3

My settings:
Tweaks:
VSync control: always on
Triple-Buffering: Check
Display refresh rate: set it to your monitor's refresh rate (mine is 60 Hz)
dynamic framerate control: 60 FPS

OSD:
GPU temperature control: It rarely goes higher than 65 degrees Celsius

I think you can limit Nvidia cards with the software it comes with?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 4:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
FPS limiter did not work for me in Win7 64b. No matter what I did. It starts properly, no error messages, is started as an admin like the game - tested with compatibility mode and without with no effect whatsover. Program is running but limiting is not applied. VSync locks framerate at the 60 but I have rather poor and outdated machine and it's not a solution for someone with good hardware.

The 3dbooter FPS limiter from MATY has run fine for me in Windows 7 64bit. I had to reinstall the game a few months ago and my FPS is around 30-something during gameplay.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 7:46 AM
Thanks so much for the replies, guys.

The FPS limiter did use to work for me in Windows 7 64 bit.
I have a GeForce 980M with 8GB of GPU memory, so I can't try RadeonPro. But I'll have a look at the Nvidia settings.

Is there anyone with Windows 10 who has the FPS limiter working?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 1:39 PM
Well, I used this, and it worked! Thanks to all of you guys for the help!

Interestingly though, while scrolling around the world, I have some quite annoying stuttering. This happens with and without the v-sync, and with the graphic settings all to the max as well as with the graphics settings all set to low-medium values.
I don't think it's because my computer it's not powerful enough... I guess the game is not that well optimized.
Does it use more than one core? I have a quadcore.
Scholar
#11 Old 25th Oct 2015 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Same here, FPS limiter did not work.
I'm still running Win7 64bit.
You'll need a different program to limit FPS. For my Radeon HD 7900, I use RadeonPro and launch TS3 with it. It also works as a launcher if you use CCMagic

http://www.radeonpro.info/download/

I hope it works with Windows 10 as well.

Trigger: tsw3.exe in the Program Files of The Sims3

My settings:
Tweaks:
VSync control: always on
Triple-Buffering: Check
Display refresh rate: set it to your monitor's refresh rate (mine is 60 Hz)
dynamic framerate control: 60 FPS

OSD:
GPU temperature control: It rarely goes higher than 65 degrees Celsius

I think you can limit Nvidia cards with the software it comes with?

Hi! I'm not sure if you are still replying to this thread or not, but I'm interested to know how you use RadeonPro together with CCMagic.
When I try to launch CCMagic with RadeonPro running in the background, it crashes everytime.
I have set the CCMagic.exe as launcher in the RP Launcher tab, but no luck.
What am I doing wrong?