Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:49 AM
Default "Can't Raise Terrain Further" -Tall Buildings on Tall Hills Glitch
OK, first off, I know there's been another thread posted on this same issue, but I figure after 6 YEARS, there might have been some new solutions discovered. I have in-game shots of what this glitch is too, which that older thread unfortunately did not, so hopefully it'll be clearer now what the issue is and (fingers crossed) what the solution to it should be.

What I'm seeing is certain spots on a lot that will not allow the construction of a basic wall section, and cause a tooltip saying "can't raise terrain further" to appear. So far as I can tell, this only occurs with very tall structures built on very tall hills or very tall foundations on a lot (I've never seen this as an issue with tall buildings built just from street level- there has to be terrain too, even if it's erased and you just start with a very high foundation above a level lot) Construction will function normally for the first few levels, but then I'll occasionally hit this glitch and see something like this appear:

The above image is what happens if you just try to construct a normal, single, click-and-drag wall over one of these glitched areas. Only one section of wall will appear, no matter how far you drag the wall, and the wall will always appear distorted in some way (sometimes stretching far above a single story, like shown above, other times appearing shorter even than a 4-click wall is). When trying to construct a room over one of these areas (using the room constructing option from the wall menu), the glitch still occurs, and appears like this next screenshot, with the tooltip now saying "attached to wall," despite no wall being present:

In neither situation will any wall sections actually be constructed. Walls WILL be built in these areas using the dormers from the roofing section, but they are still glitched, and still do not appear or function as normal walls. What appears in this case is something like this (For this first next screenshot, I placed the 2x4 dormer over the glitched area, on the same level as the wall attempts in the two previous pictures) with the roof appearing far above where it should normally appear, as shown in the nest second screenshot:

And yes, that is just one dormer, one story- it only LOOKS like it's 2 stories high!

Now, let me eliminate a few possibilities that were proposed on the 6-year-old thread on this topic:
-the highest allowed level is set well above the level where this glitch occurs (I use the sethighestallowedlevel cheat on virtually all my buildings- I know how it works! ).
-this is not a wall-limit issue- I often have hundreds or thousands of segments still available when this glitch occurs
-dormers place (and glitch) as shown above, but the tiles generated above them do not allow for walls to be built on them
-I am not hitting an invisible ceiling of some sort on this lot (the lot that I included pictures from has the glitch occur in this spot when trying to construct walls on the 6th level, while only about 8 tiles to the left I was able to construct a tower up to at least 10 floors without any glitch.)

And now I'll eliminate a few possibilities that I've tested myself.
-I haven't seen this glitch occur lower than the 5th floor, and only when built on lots with dramatic terrain or foundation heights (the structure in the pictures is built on top of an approximately 80-click hill).
-It's not a CFE issue, as it occurs on lots where I have and haven't used that cheat (and nor does using CFE do anything to fix the issue).
-It's not a problem with higher floors (whether they're still present on the lot or not) not matching the new walls I'm trying to build, since this glitch has appeared when I reach a level for the first time, as well as occurring after I've already built well above that height.
-It's not that I'm exceeding the maximum height allowed for a lot- I've run into this glitch on the eighth floor of a lot that had towers go up to 14 floors from the same foundation.

HELP ME!!!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 4:52 PM
Would it be possible to attach the lot? I'd like to see what's happening internally, if I can find some time.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 5:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Would it be possible to attach the lot? I'd like to see what's happening internally, if I can find some time.

Sure- I can attach the lot that the pictures are from, if you don't mind a 5x6, $300,000+ lot, or if that's an issue on your machine, I'll see if I can make a smaller, cheaper lot that still shows the issue.
Site Helper
#4 Old 12th Mar 2014 at 11:55 PM
That lot should be fine.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Mar 2014 at 1:24 AM
OK, here you go- I'd been working on the lot a bit, but I think it's back to the point it was at when I took the screenshots earlier- the glitch still shows up the same at any rate! Should be easy enough to find and match up with those shots, but if not, the glitch occurs on the top of the smaller section of the tower, in the paved section on the roof.

Fingers crossed that this doesn't run up against any site issues, since it should be obvious that I'm not trying to upload a finished lot here...
Thanks!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  CRTF Glitched Lot.zip (3.40 MB, 9 downloads) - View custom content