Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:37 PM Last edited by Numenor : 14th Jan 2006 at 2:06 PM.
Default ARCHIVE: Object Creation Workshop and Repair Center (*CLOSED*)
Object Creation Package Workshop and Repair Center

WARNING: THIS IS ONLY AN ARCHIVE CONTAINING OLD POSTS.
IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE WITH YOUR PACKAGE, PLEASE REFER TO THE ACTIVE THREAD INSTEAD.

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 4:58 PM
You brave man! Such an offer will probably be accepted by hundreds of object creators, so I volunteer to lend a helping hand with the package repairing

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Inventor
#3 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:04 PM
yay thats a great idea.thanx
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Aug 2005 at 5:43 PM
Thank you Numenor, much appreciated. Having a pro like yourself assisting is extremely helpful...
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 8:34 AM
Default Not Accessory packages
Hi, Good idea this thread .
Eh, is the package I uploaded a cloneable one or accessory? Sorry I do not like bothering you. Hopefully not too dumb a question.

I woke up this am and thought I would try doing something with the shadow texture, maybe that will help me, can only try.

Follow on
Here is the package, thought you may have received via the thread on Tutorial as it had disappeared.
I get confused when saving UV map as I have decreased the depth of the wall divider what bitmap measurements should I put. Keep to original or half them. I did not do anything with shadow in next attempt.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 9:57 AM
The thread is here to help, why feel like your bothering anyone? I don't see a package you need to upload it...
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#7 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 8:03 PM
OK I'm here...
That's a mesh that dont want to appear!
Just a cloned painting with my recolors.

Than i tried a sofa
The same result...

What's wrong did I begin to do? Everything was OK..

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 8:19 PM
You must to change in GMDS section File_name .Before you imported new mesh you must to copy your file name and after import change Custom_ object to your file name
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 8:29 PM
"Todays topic is".... Sound familiar? The problem were a few basic one's. You cloned the object perfectly but when you imported your mesh you forgot to replace the "Custom Mesh" name with a unique one of your own. After that we "fix integrity" and then we register our GUID. A good idea is to run over to the " Sims 2 Start to Finish Object Creation" tutorial thread and down load the V2.0 version of the tutorial and just read throught it. It describes every step in simple term's and has lots of images. You can obviously make a mesh, texture it and build most of the package so just a read through skipping the 3D part may be benficial to you..

Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 3:29 AM
Here is your cross back and a list of what went wrong

The cross to start with was hollow and not UV mapped at all.

I brought it in my editor and rebuilt it, mapped it and walla all set..

If it was intended to be hollow let me know and I will remap the original...

MTS2 Hot Pepper
#11 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 3:32 AM
The problem were a few basic one's. You cloned the object perfectly but when you imported your mesh you forgot to replace the "Custom Mesh" name with a unique one of your own.
=============
Right!!!! Now I know Where the mistake was!! Thank you!!!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 5:14 AM
Hi JWoods,

When i put this end table into my game it came up invisible with the pic and the actual object. I am confused because this object i cloned only had 1 GUID and it was the main.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 5:19 AM
Took me a bit to find this thread lol

Hi JWoods :howdy:

Floating Cookies??

Original Thread can be found here
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82131

Ok i uploaded a new Chocolate Chip test package complete with the animation resource files
just incase someone wanted to look in there for any reason? Remember this is a test file..

Even though i rebuilt this package (a hundred times) the cookie still floats after the final animation is completing it's run.. Oh both cookie uploads use the same Guid

Would it be in the behavs? (Hopefully not ) or did maxis screw it up somewhere?
besides the fact that they called them POOP Tarts (was that a Goof?)
all over the package including in the animation resource files!

Hopefully it is something simple so i can go on making my cookies and such lol

If it is a behav file can someone point me to a tutorial or someone who knows alot on behavs?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 5:44 AM
zedrik: it is an issue with Wing's 3D, Numenor uses it and will give you a better answer. I have noticed this before with .obj files exported by wings.

Also: the cross I put together could be done differently I had no way to tell how it was constructed with all the faces gone. When Numenor supplies a remedy you can most likely fix your old cross. The map you are using is large and therefore the pieces should be made smaller to prevent streching or squeezing of the texture. If you use box mode you could texture top bottom and sides seperately. This way you could run the grain much more realistically.

My concern was the inability to see half the object and remedy that. I would suggest making the "beams" in three pieces oppossed to the two I made. Then you could piece them together like a real cross of wood is made but that is your decission of course...

JucIEJ1991: the name of your shape in the GMDC is/was "baysicssidetable". In the SHPE (Shape) file/Plugin/Parts the shape name is "wood". The same name must be in the GMDC. Ididn't test it but it should be fine now...

fireflies: I tried the cookies, no taste at all!!! LOL. Seriously I tried and tried to get my sim to make them (for breakfast?) but when he got to the fridge it seemed like it skipped the whole chore all together. He just wouldn't get the ingredients for the cookies to even start. Animation, I am trying to study up on Miches new tool which I was able to make work but there is so much in the area you also claim to need help with, the BHAV's. I have been looking at some tutorials on the SimPE site to better aquint myself with them. I am guessing when I say here but I saw two things that struck me funny in the package. In the scenegraph I noticed to odly named files unlike the rest and seemed to be "orphans". I also noticed that the "null" mesh's seem odd, are the names in the Text fields correct? I normally do not like to look into "accesories" but with it being involved directly with animations it intrigues me. I will try to look more in the A.M. but don't hold your breath, at least you got to bake your cookies... LOL

Field Researcher
#15 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 6:28 AM
how do i fix it so that the small description picture is not blank?
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 6:43 AM
You will have to delete your "Objectthumbnails" in your my documents/ea games/sims 2/thumbnails folder to correct the thumbnail.
Recolour maniac of maniacs
#17 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 7:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
My concern was the inability to see half the object and remedy that. I would suggest making the "beams" in three pieces oppossed to the two I made. Then you could piece them together like a real cross of wood is made but that is your decission of course...

I actually tried that, too, but it shaded improperly.
Thanks for helping though. Hopefully I can get this straightened out sometime.

It's being invaded by the Otherworld...
By a world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bink13y: you are the recolor maniac of all maniacs
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 9:27 AM
Woops that file was corrupt so i just uploaded the one i was using before
this one does work it's the one i got the pic from

It just doesnt have the animation files in it.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#19 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 2:48 PM
Zedrik, this morning I took a look at your package, but JWoods was faster then me (as usual ).

Anyway, I couldn't load your mesh in Wings3D: it said the mesh was corrupted. Then, I've loaded it in Milkshape and immediately save it (I hate Milkshape :D)), and finally I could load the mesh into Wings3D: the result is in the attached picture.

The faces coloured in blue, as you probably know, are made by "hole" material: i.e., in game they are invisible.
In such cases (now the package has been fixed, but I'm telling anyway), you should select the blue faces, then right-click on the "default" material and choose "Assign to selection". Then, Tasselate/Triangulate and export as .obj.

As for the UVmapping problems, read the proper InfoCenter thread about UVmapping.
Screenshots

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Inventor
#20 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 3:00 PM
Thank you so much! Well, I have been having a problem with a file too, hope you can fix it!

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=78786

That thread above is the Prototype thread opf my Magic Mirror Phone. It is supposed to be a phone that looks like a mirror, but only the shadow can be seen. The mirror itself is invisible.

I changed all the Material Definitions and Material Overrides to match those of a mirror. If you need my reference file (the file I am using to get my data), just say so.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#21 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 4:38 PM
Mod_bv, you package lacks half of the Scenegraphic chain: it has 4 GMDC, but only 2 GMND and 2 SHPE...

Fixing that package is not easy at all, considering that 4 GMDC out of 2 are related to the mirror...
I haven't checked the CRES, but I guess it needs heavy editing, too.

And anyway, creating a working phone involves also BHAV editing, in order to correctly manage the handset...

In my opinion, you should try something easier; in any case, fixing that package is far beyond this thread's scope. Sorry.

Inventor
#22 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 4:55 PM
O well...
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#23 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 7:51 PM
fireflies: My best recommendation would be to try and take a look at Carrigans BHAV tutorials at the SimPE site. If I am not mistaken "Inge Jones" handles BHAVs very well as well...

You mentioned that you removed the animation files, how will it work wwithout them? The scenegraph was intact properly this time but in game I couldn't locate the option to bake the cookies as I could in the first file.

I am getting very hungry here as I am yet to even see the cookies. Well I did see them in the GMDC and they looked yummy! LOL Have you tryed importing the Animation files and BHav's into your latest package which seems to be in better order. I was browsing through the text list files in the latest package and they looked odd, seems the last text list name is missing something.

Tough file, I remember experiencing something very similar with a can of beer I made a few months back. It showed in game perfectly but after the sim finished it, it was "glued" to his hand. This tells me that you were most likely at your closest when the cookies were floating...
retired moderator
#24 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 8:18 AM
I have two problems

I'm trying to work on a sofa. Even though I plopped my sofa over the one I cloned in MilkShape, the sofa shows up in game as big as the house. That's number one. If I try to scale it down, it becomes so small it looks like a kiddie sofa (not a bad idea, maybe).

Two, the whole UV thing... I just can't get it right 80% of the time and with the sofa, it is so awful that somebody should take away my tools.

The texture of the sofa is okay on the back and the backrest (not sure what to call it). The rest, the cushions, the sides, the arms... the texture is stretched to the limit.

The original couch I cloned, the texture was 512 X 512, so I made mine the same size.

I'm thinking this last problem has to do with the UV mapping. I've tried box, planar, cylindrical. I've tried splitting and not splitting, and the couch is still so ugly that even a Junk Sale place wouldn't accept it.

Am I right that it has to do with the UV? And is there a way to look at say a Maxis couch UV so that I can at least get an idea of what it is supposed to look?

I've already tried Numenor's help thread. :confused:
The ModFather
retired moderator
#25 Old 9th Aug 2005 at 8:47 AM
Grapholina, are you sure you don't have an auto-scaling function activated somewhere? I don't know Milkshape, but in SimPE, in the Preferences ("Scenegraph" section) there is the GMDC import/export scaling factor; be sure it's set to 1. Also, if you use another UVmapping program than UVmapper Classic, be sure that there isn't an auto-scaling function there.

The second problem is definitely related to UVmapping. I'll check if the sofas have some peculiarity and will answer in the UVmapping thread.

Locked thread | Locked by: Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=82084). This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 1 of 52