Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 5:25 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night, Generations, Supernatural, Seasons
Default Very Unusual Crashing Problem
Hi guys. I have a serious problem on my hands that I've tried several fixes for with no results. I turn now to your combined expertise!

The sad story: game was playing fine through last evening. I took a break to download some CC from some trusted artists. I pop my new CC files in their correct folders and open up the launcher.

"Script Error - An error has occurred in the script of this page
Line: 104, Char: 3
Error: Expected identifier, string or number
Code: 0
URL: http://launcherapi.thesims3.com/lau...S&var=loggedOut
Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?"

Now, a little internet sleuthing told me that this error SHOULD be considered minor, and results from the launcher's inability to connect to the EA store and show new deals etc in the launcher window. So I bypassed it, downloaded the CC, and hit the play button.

Nothing. It loaded to black, then kicked me out of the window. The game was technically still running, but whenever I hit the icon in the tray, it would bring me to a black screen for a few seconds, then boot me. I had to End Task.

So, naturally, I suspect the CC. First I remove the Mods folder and test the game's stability. Same error, same crash.

Then I uninstall some CC. Same error, same crash.

I pull out my DCCache folder, so I /have/ no CC. Same error, same crash.
In a way, this make sense, because frankly none of the content I downloaded seemed likely to give me problems (Cazy hair, One Billion Pixels clutter -- things I've used before?)

I pull out my Saves folder, just in case (that was my problem once in the past). Same error, same crash.

I pull out my entire Sims 3 folder, name it Sims 3.old, pop it on the desktop so I can try a factory reset. SAME ERROR, SAME CRASH.

At this point, I am at a loss and pretty unhappy. I will really appreciate any guidance, because I have noooo idea what's going on or how to fix it!

Thank you so much in advance. This is just flummoxing.

*Edited to add: it's still in factory reset mode, and the launcher tells me it's patched up to date (1.67.2.024037). I should also note that I downloaded it through Steam so IDK what my options would be for reinstallation.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 7:43 PM
There are three versions of the game - original disc, Origin download, and Steam - and a very few mods that do not work with all three (usually Steam).

I am not a Steam user so cannot give explicit instructions, but a search for "repair Steam games" should help.
Test Subject
#3 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 8:04 PM
I have a couple of games from steam and sometimes they'll crash for no reason. I find going in and do the "verify integrity of game cache" option helps clear that up. If you don't know where that is its in the properties of the game. Go to library in your steam console, go to the game, right click it and find properties, and then click the local files tab where at the bottom will be the verify option. You'll have to be online for that to work properly.

But you probably already know that! if not then you could try it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 2:19 AM
Thanks both of you very much! I haven't managed to repair the game, but I really appreciate your time and input.

I tried "verify the integrity of game cache" option -- it told me a file was dysfunctional and would be reacquired, and it proceeded to apparently download and integrate that file.

However, when I brought up the launcher again, it gave me an error alert saying that the game is incomplete and must be reinstalled. I guess I'll uninstall and reinstall through Steam? Is that my best option at this point? I wish I understood what was happening, so I could prevent it in future.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 3:12 AM
This might not help. But if you haven't already tried this, you don't have anything to lose at this point. Download and run the SuperPatcher to re-patch to 1.67. If it says you are already up to date, which it likely will, make it run anyway.
http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-3-super-patcher/