Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 7:17 AM Last edited by coldfloral : 20th Nov 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Default pattern troubles - vertical bars of color where there shouldn't be
I'm trying to make my first pattern in TS3, and need some help.

Actually, I've made the pattern and it looks like it should in Delphy's Pattern Packager, as seen here:

However, when I test it in game it looks like this:

Where are the vertical yellow stripes coming from? It doesn't matter what surface I apply the pattern to; it comes out with the stripes.

Thanks for any help.

coldfloral
Attached files:
File Type: zip  coldfloral_romo_ondina.zip (98.4 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 8:08 PM
Ummm no idea. Can you attach the dds please? I'll try & reexport it and see what happens in my game...
(nice pattern btw.)

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that is why
We call it the Present.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 12:51 AM
I've attached the file to my original post. Thanks for taking a look, MetalKat0642.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 2:16 AM
I thought I'd take a look to see if I could help, and the dds doesn't open correctly for me in Photoshop-- it looks all black. Not sure if that's relevant.

I did bring it into the pattern packager successfully though, and I notice that your R G and B channels are identical, rather than separated out so that the motif is on one channel and the background is on another.

Usually in a 2-color pattern the R channel should be all white, and the Green channel should be black except for the pattern motif which should be white, and the Blue channel should be all black.

I wonder if you are seeing some kind of interference pattern because of that. I'd fix the color separation issue and the stripes will probably go away.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 4:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions BabaYaga. I'll try fixing the channels tomorrow after work.

I forgot to mention I made the .dds in Gimp; so maybe that's why it's all black when you open it in Photoshop?

Thanks again, and I'll report back tomorrow
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 1:55 PM
The .dds opens fine in GIMP.
BabaYaga is absolutely right about the colour separation issue. Another thing: the black in the dds isn't 100% black, so those regions aren't 100% transparent. As a result, the 1st palette doesn't really define the colour, as you can see here.

Apart from the 1st palette behaving like that, I didn't have any issues in-game. No vertical stripes or any other interference.

I fixed the black colour and edited the dds so that the channels looked like this (alpha is only necessary in 4-colour patterns):

This made the pattern behave 100% correctly.

P. S. Here's a totally weird effect I discovered. When I opened the original .dds in PatternPackager and played with the Blending flags, I got an effect I never saw before. Those black things aren't anywhere in the dds!

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that is why
We call it the Present.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 11:42 PM Last edited by coldfloral : 21st Nov 2009 at 12:29 AM.
I realize now that I was getting confused with layers and channels when I was making the pattern. Hence why it was all bass-akwards

Thank you both for your help, BabaYaga and MetalKat0642! I don't think I would have been able to figure it out without your assistance.

edit: ok, I can't seem to make the black 100% black. I've used the color picker and it's telling me my black is 100% black, yet I can't change palette #1 to any other color in the pattern packager or in game.

Any ideas?