Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#76 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 2:46 PM
Default Gabriel Callahan
(((ooc: I so shouldn't do this, but I can't help myself. *lol* Would have entered Leigh, but as there seems to be a bit of a shortage of men... )))

Name: Gabriel Callahan
Short bio:
As any leader or politician knows, in order to preserve the peace and keep things running smoothly, sometimes you need to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty, doing things of which most will not approve. Of course, there are some that go to far greater lengths than others, and more often than not, those that do have several other things on their agenda than simply the good of the community. Additionally, those also usually have others doing their dirty work for them. The Morgan family and Gabriel Callahan being a prime example.

While there might be much to say about the dark handsome man with the dangerous eyes, not much is actually known. Since coming to Morgan's Creek eight years ago, from God knows where and for God knows why, he has proven to be a rather private man, as far as his history goes. On the few rare occasions when someone has been brave, or foolish enough to ask, their questions have earned them little more than an empty stare, or, if Gabriel was found in an unusually dark mood, a deadly glare.

Hired by Edward Morgan as a vaquero, Gabriel's various skills, be it branding cattle, breaking horses, or other undertakings of a rather more shady nature, he quickly advanced to become Morgan's right-hand man. Now known to do quite a bit of Morgan's dirty work, and not having much patience for those who insist on being 'hard of hearing', he is one of the most feared men in town. Quite a few sheriffs have been paid to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to his doings and his methods, and only a fool would willingly risk getting on his bad side. However, those fortunate enough to find themselves on his good side, often soon realize that it's probably the safest place to be in Morgan's Creek.

Besides the many skills used to further the Morgan's agenda, Gabriel is also a highly skilled poker player, and will often be found in the Saloon, either at one of the card tables, gambling, or upstairs with one of the girls. He does like them ladies, and they in turn tend to appreciate his 'business', as he always pays for the entire night, thus sparing them to have to service a number of customers.

Picture:

(((ooc: Open for suggestions for possible plotlines! Have a few in mind myself, but... later, as I have to get going.)))

(((ooc2: I only noticed just now that Gabe has not only the same outfit, but the same pose as Ryder in one of trampled's pics. I'm sorry, it wasn't intentional, and I totally didn't mean to be a copycat! )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 4:47 PM
Default Dex Woolgar, Robbie Logan, Ryder Scott & Nikita Wellston - Outlaw Hideout
# 2 [Morning, day #1]

Despite his age, Dex was still a strong man, and rather young in soul and body. However, his mind was that of an experienced man who had lived a long life and knew the benefits of thinking before he acted. But since he was a fast thinker, he seemed more spontaneous than he actually was most of the time. And though he had fun, it would be a waste of time to try and deny the fun in living outside the law, he often served as the gangs watchful eye. When others let go of their worries and took the day as it came, Dex was occupied with making sure they would live to see the nightfall. This newly born day was no exception.

He reached up and caught the bread, that Robbie tossed to him, with one hand. The boy wasn't going to refuse him food after all, even though he had just uttered a harsh comment his way. Dex's smile changed into a warm, friendly one. Instead of that of spite.

"And at least it'll spare me from dying of boredom here", Robbie countered.

Ah, he would make one fine outlaw someday. Probably sooner than they all thought, and definately stronger than they could imagine. Dex could already see the potential in him. It was the main reason why he was careful not to cross the line. He wouldn't wanna break the boy, make him feel unwelcome, when he was anything but. Though Dex would never have a child in this lifetime, he was sure his boy would have been like Robbie.

He shot a glanze over at Ryder, their very own doctor, pleading for a few more minutes of sleep. Though he was as good an outlaw as the next one, he wasn't really a morning person, thus he wasn't too happy when they stumbled across a mission that demanded that they left early. He could imagine those mornings to be Robbie's favourites, as far as tormenting the poor doctor. Dex was always alert, come morning, noon or night. If he had a favourite time at all, it would be just before the sun set. It was a beautiful ray of colours for one, secondly, most people were sleeping or just indoors, making it easier for the outlaws to move around.

Always on the watch, always suspicious, Dex noticed that they were about to get some company. Someone was closing in on the gang, but it was just one person, seemingly a woman. The closer she got, the more obvious it was, and when he saw the little dog beside her he knew who it was. Nikita Wellston, the local seamstess. But to the gang, she was more than that. Her knowledge of herbs and remedys made her a valuable assett once they had gotten to know her, and she was the only outsider they allowed near their camp. No matter how many times she had been there though, and despite he knew she was careful, Dex was always afraid that every time would be that one time when she had been followed. Even if they didn't make themselves known, they could ride back and give away their hideout. So, when he had confirmed who it was, his glanze searched behind her, and all around the prairie, as he now stood from his place of sleep. One could not be too careful. That he knew, coming from a life of harship.

Since Robbie threatened Ryder to be left without food, the good doctor didn't waste any time. Up and away, he soon stood by Robbie and looked at the food as if it were some sort of buffet. These little details made Dex smile, almost laugh, as the little quirks about his comrads amused him.

"You always have had a way with words", Ryder said, still sounding like a doctor.

In the same time, Nikita had just come close enough to make herself heard. She chuckled, apparently entertained by their morning rituals.

"I see you are the first to rise, as usual", she said. "You know, waking in the morning might not seem so terrible if you both went to bed at a decent hour."

Dex didn't care enough about her comment to counter, since he lived like he pleased. He slept when he was tired, ate when he was hungry and fought when he ended up in calamity. All hours of the day were as decent as they could ever get, in his opinion.

"Depends on your definition of a 'decent hour'", Ryder said, seemingly happy as ever about Nikita's company.

Though the woman was just in the middle of explaining the reason for her visit.

"I brought the herbs you wanted, plus some bitterroot for anyone who might get a sore throat. It's beginning to be that season for such. I also brought some soup for everyone, I made far too much for just myself and thought you all might like it. You'll need to heat it up, though."

Another amused smile lingered on Dex's lips, as he watched how Ryder got excited by her offerings, and as if no one could already see he was pleased with having her there he had to put it in words.

"What ever would I do without you?" he said after he had poured thankful comments all over her.

It didn't exactly go according to Dex's book on how to play the game that existed between a man and a woman. Even if he was a fan of not playing as much as acting for real, he didn't quite believe in being too honest. Though he had to hand it to him; Ryder was a man who knew what he did, even if old Dex sometimes had no clue as to what the young man was doing.

Soon, something else caught his eye. Dakotah, the little vermin, headed towards the food Robbie had gathered. Although Dex did like the dog, he didn't like anyone who tried to steal what little food the gang had. Therefore, he walked with determined steps to the fireplace and grabbed the little animal by the neck.

"I'll have you for breakfast if you eat mine", he said, sounding even more harsh than he'd done when Robbie kicked him.

It didn't matter what he said though. He could have talked about the weather for all Dakotah knew, but the tone of vocie, and the assertive look in Dex's eyes made the dog understand and return to his owner.

"Miss Wellston", Dex said with a nod towards the woman, and then he took a bite from the bread the boy had given him.

((( ooc: Atropa, Trampled & Avara: I hope it all works for you guys. Let me know otherwise, if it doesn't add up with your characters. Sorry for being so long, but I had a few posts to incorporate in my answer. )))
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 5:00 PM
(((ooc: Psyche, trampled & Avara - Know what you mean, Psyche, and I would be really grateful if you guys (mainy trampled and Avara) would allow me a chance to get a post in for Robbie. This being a four-way RP, we need to take turns (and I'm not reprimanding anyone, since no one has NOT given another a chance to post yet, I'm just saying this for future reference.
Also, good thing I didn't bring Leigh into the RP, cuz judging by his interest in Nikita, there would've been a catfight galore over Ryder. *snicker*)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#79 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 5:31 PM
Default Kate and William - Town
There were certain things that one had to learn to be a good enough doctor, especially when the relationship between doctor and patient had moved on to a point where the candid honesty about their condition and nothing else was somewhat compromised. While they were more willing to talk about their problems, it encompassed all problems and thus, Kate had to learn to read between the lines. And she did read between the lines.

Communication was something more than just words. There were other signs, a small blink perhaps or wringing of hands, that hinted towards other meanings to people’s words. It truly was because, regardless of how hard someone tries to say the right words, at times, articulation may fail them and when it came to health matters, that simply was unacceptable to Kate.

"I've been busy, the outlaws in the area have gotten much more brazen of late,” William admitted flatly. With this, she could agree, and his job would have him working flat out and the complains running around the grapevine could not be helping at all. “Otherwise everything is fine, I've been dealing with the problems with the outlaws more than anything else.”

While Kate had no doubts that his job was keeping him busy, she had doubts of his reasons as to why he had not sought one single consultation. William had an entire department, a half-hour would not cause the outlaws to declare anarchy on the locals. Furthermore, the dear Sheriff was not actually that active, not that dedicated to his job – though Kate would bet that that had not always been the case.

No, what the job seemed to be now was a distraction, from life and most importantly, the absence of his wife. It was rather admirable that William was still grieving for her after this length of time, he truly did love his wife, rest her soul, but he wasn’t helping himself at all and he wasn’t letting himself be helped by simply avoiding his own health issues just because medicine had failed him once. So, Kate decided to address those hesitations subtly.

“I hope it’s nothing serious,” she commented on his excuse for avoiding her professional capacity, then moving on to reprise her cordial smile. “But really Sheriff, if timing’s the issue, a simple consultation wouldn’t take very long at all and I can fix an appointment to complement your schedule?”

No, she wasn’t going to pounce on the idea that he was avoiding medics purposefully and so was giving him enough reason to rethink his hesitation if it truly was just that. But, if Kate’s suspicions were true, he’d simply come up with yet another excuse to avoid her and she would have to work on it yet again.

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Scholar
#80 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 6:05 PM
Default Stella and Gwen - En route to school
Stella didn’t run. It wasn’t ladylike and it caused the dust to stir itself up and make her pretty clothes dirty. So when Gwen told her to hurry up she didn’t really increase her pace very much, it just wouldn’t do to get to school looking like a dirty tumbleweed. Though she was glad to have run into her on the way to school, she wanted the company. What with her being one of the only girls close to her age around for miles, they had become friends quickly.

“How are you Stella Gwen had asked when they were finally walking side by side and Stella rolled her eyes. “The same as usual, bored to tears” she thought, looking down at the little girl next to her.

“Good morning to you too Lilith” she said, as Gwen spoke again. "Did you hear about my father trying to marry me with a man twice my age?" she asked and Stella nodded her head. “I may have heard a thing or two” she said, looking interested “After all, everyone comes through father’s store on a daily basis so I hear things”.

She made a face as she considered the thought and continued on. “What a vile idea. Who’d want to marry a disgusting old man? When I get married it’ll be to someone handsome and rich and successful” she said with a sigh “Not that there are many men like that around here”.

(((OOC: That's because I'm so damn lousy at playing guys I just can't seem to do it without messing it up. That being said, the males that ARE here...daaaaamn *fans self* )))

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 7:57 PM
Default Gwen and Stella - At school
“What a vile idea. Who’d want to marry a disgusting old man? When I get married it’ll be to someone handsome and rich and successful. Not that there are many men like that around here”. said Stella.
"Nobody! Unless he's really rich and really old and you know he'll die soon," said Gwen before she could stop herself 'cause of the cruelity of the sentence. "Not that I would do that," she hastitated and stared into Stella's eyes. She's really pretty, she thought. Why can't I be beautiful too? Maybe that's why my father ignores me, Gwen thought for a momment, but then she realised that would be ridicolous. "Lilith!" she called after the little brat and tried to sound nice: "You may go in the class alone."
They stood infront of the school, but Gwen didn't go up the stairs yet. First she turned to Stella and quietly asked with a barely noticeable tear in her left eye:
"I'm sure my father only wants good for me and that the man he was considering was his good friend, but I still think he wouldn't marry me if I wasn't Mayor's daughter. Who wants to be put in a marrirage like this? I don't want a handsome or rich husband. I just want someone I could live with."
She knew Stella could make her feel better. She always did.

((ooc: short, I know, but my mouse's battery is almost down and it is extremely slow and It drives me crazy so I'll go and buy a new one. The next will be longer ))
Top Secret Researcher
#82 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 9:20 PM
Default William and Kate- Main Street
William was not a person who would beat around the bush very much. He knew full well what most people thought of him, and he knew exactly why. For the year and change that he had been at his best, before Amelia died, he had accomplished nothing, imprisoned in a web of municipal corruption and worthy foes in the form of the outlaws. And right after she died he had still done nothing, spending most of his time asleep or drunk.

Now? Now he wanted to actually clean up the town, and be a good sheriff. So it shouldn't have surprised him to see Kate's expression waver a bit, as though she wondered just how much time accomplishing nothing could take. After all what reason would she have to think he wasn't accomplishing nothing?

The fact that right as he had decided to fight for law and order- or just order if the mayor decided to be as slimy as he usually was- was when the outlaws spread their activities wider afield was just an unfortunate coincidence.

“I hope it’s nothing serious,” she said, which was perfectly acceptable, after all who would want an inconsequential sheriff dealing with a serious problem? He shrugged- the problems weren't serious here, but the people in Fairgrove who had their savings sitting on his desk probably thought differently.

She seemed a bit distant from the conversation, as if she was bored witless, or thinking about something else entirely. William had the latter rather abrasively confirmed as she said, with a cordial smile, like she thought she had any right to inquire, “But really Sheriff, if timing’s the issue, a simple consultation wouldn’t take very long at all and I can fix an appointment to complement your schedule?”

He just stared for a moment, wondering what to try to process first. The abrupt and apparently uncued shift in conversational topic? The fact that she apparently thought there was something wrong that merited her services? Or she was a busybody? The sign she had just given that she was rather selfish, thinking that the reason he was not utilizing her services was inconvenience, rather than disinterest.

After a short moment had passed William composed himself to the same- rather intimidating- pose he used when dealing with criminals who had gotten caught and were waiting in jail for some helpful soul to post bail. "Madam," he said icily, "I assure you, if I had any need of medical attention, I would seek it out."

He said nothing else and just waited in that fierce posture that had gotten hardened criminals to confess their sins. Well... one, and he could hardly have been considered a hardened criminal. Still, William's normally amiable features were a bit intimidating when he tried, as he did now.

Underneath the cool glare he wondered idly if the reason she had asked was that he looked as though he were old and deteriorating.

((OOC: Huh, I was kind of surprised how much that pissed him off...))

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Scholar
#83 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 9:41 PM
Default Kate and William - Town
It was a common misconception that a visit to the doctor’s had to always be brought on by ailment of sorts. That it had to always be a necessity to immediately relieve a problem. It was a gross misconception, though one incredibly common. Now, visits to the hospital were – and a really had to be – as a result of an emergency, but regular checkups, in particular with the older patients or those more prone to the effects of stress or any predisposition, were rather advisable. Not everyone had to stroll into her clinic (and if they did it ridiculously frequently, even Kate would be somewhat annoyed) to ensure that they were alright, but the Sheriff was moving into the category of people who did have to.

And the reason to that was, at least to Kate, rather obvious. With most conditions, by the time someone falls rather seriously ill, by the time the symptoms were obvious enough, it could be too late and the prognosis could be rather sombre. After all, hadn’t that been the case with William’s wife, Amelia? Kate understood that the woman was rather ill for a while before the pneumonia was correctly diagnosed and she did feel guilty about not being there to treat her. Perhaps the outcome could have been different….

There was little point in dwelling in the past. The problem wasn’t that William had made few visits to her clinic, but that he’d actually made none. She had no clue what the status of his health was, she couldn’t exactly ask his last doctor and William himself was just plain uncooperative:

"Madam," he responded with sudden coldness, taking an authoritative position over her, seemingly moving to intimidate the way only law enforcer could. "I assure you, if I had any need of medical attention, I would seek it out."

Well, that answered her previous question as to why he was avoiding her, more or less. ‘I don’t need you’. Did he hold her responsible for what befell his wife? Because he really had no right to, she simply wasn’t in town to treat the woman and her own guilt was brought on by that very fact. She had not failed his wife, she simply wasn’t there to even try – and through no deliberate design.

Well, through his own admission then, she had that if he needed her he would seek her out but as far as he knew, there was nothing wrong with him. As far as he knew. And how much was that, when it came to carefully scrutinizing his own wellbeing? Now, he probably would simply dismiss things if she tried to explain from her perspective and thus, communication being a key element, Kate tried to make him see things from his own point of view.

”However, checkups are so that you could avoid serious medical attention,” she explained politely, her head tilted slightly in an attempt to peacefully converse with what was becoming a hostile man. “For, if you did not police the town the way you do, we would be overrun with criminals, would we not?”

With that, she gave a simple, understanding smile, recognizing his hostility and defiance, but not accepting it.

“Prevention is always better than the cure.”

Lab Assistant
#84 Old 12th Aug 2008 at 10:13 PM
Default Elsie Strand - The Inn then the Bakery
As the sun rose over the sleepy town, Elsie awoke but then turned her back to the window. A small part of her knew that she should probably have gotten up, but that part was over-ridden by the fact that Elsie simply hated mornings. Instead, she trusted to her staff to fulfill their morning duties as she caught a little more sleep.

Unfortunately, the time finally came when she knew she had to get out of bed, and so she got up and dressed for the day. Going downstairs, she checked to see that everything was in order. However, upon going into the kitchen, she learned that they were lower on flour than they had realized, and the cook couldn’t make enough muffins for the guests’ breakfast.

Wondering how they could have missed something so important, Elsie quickly went next door to the bakery to see what she could get. “Good morning, Miss Westwood,” she said as she entered the bakery. “I’m in a bit of a pinch, I’ve run out of flour at the Inn and we need some baked good for morning breakfast. What do you have available this morning?

My first 1st Place Miss~Mrs Universe 4 Augusta Stone

"Don't say thanks for nothing, knowing I did nothing for you is thanks enough."

Top Secret Researcher
#85 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 4:41 AM
Default William and Kate- Main Street
((OOC: I'm sleepy, so this is going to be a bit more abrupt than I usually do... hope you don't mind))

William generally didn't pay much attention in conversation to his own actions, the exceptions being when he was backed into a corner or dealing with people he patently disliked. Most of the time he was able to pick up his conversational partner's cues quickly enough to not come off as an idiot or jerk- notable exceptions being his recent dealings with the mayor as William started to try to actually bring law and order to the town- but this system did not work nearly as well as not irking people with foolish body language in the first place.

Like now... rather than looking at Kate's earlier comment in a more positive way, or even better promising- falsely- to set something up, he had gone with his first instinct to look angry and annoyed. He was a bit annoyed, he had a low tolerance for people who couldn't mind their own business, but hardly upset. He wouldn't even have thought about it of course, unless her posture had shifted oh so subtly towards polite "I hope this isn't a lost cause" from an actual personable conversation as she said, ”However, checkups are so that you could avoid serious medical attention.”

Huh, she was persistent, he would give her that. “For, if you did not police the town the way you do, we would be overrun with criminals, would we not?”

Hardly. If the outlaws were a bit worse at what they did and did not intelligently pick their targets? That would over run the town much more than any preventative measures he had made. Then again the chains of gossip that he made a point of monitoring said that she'd had problems with outlaws in the past. A comment made in ignorance was not an insult, and William decided to be magnanimous about it. Which meant he just wouldn't address it.

She continued friendlily, “Prevention is always better than the cure.” Maybe in law enforcement that was true, but in medicine? William made no claims to being an expert on the subject, but there were very few things he considered worse than what prevention would entail: foul tasting cocktails of god-knows-what, people intrusively asking after his health whenever it became common knowledge, appointments of slowly increasing length and inconvenience... Prevention did not sound attractive to him, all in all.

"Maybe your right," he said carefully, diplomatically. He really did not want to promise to set something up, but that seemed like the only way to extricate himself from the conversation... "If I have the time this evening I may see what I have planned in the next few days and set something up."

If he had time, he may see. Hopefully she wouldn't notice that he never actually and specifically said he would set up an appointment, just "something." She would interpret it as an appointment, he meant it as booking his schedule solid for the next few days. "Rather diplomatic, that," he thought.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
#86 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 5:47 AM
((Just wanted to mention that I updated Constance's application with pictures. ))
Scholar
#87 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 6:50 AM
Default Stella and Gwen - At school
Stella couldn’t help but chuckle at Gwen’s first comment. “Well you could be right about marrying an old man” she said, pausing and pretending to consider it as she watched Lilith walk into the school building “Make his coffee too strong in the morning and poof, he’s gone, and you’re a widow with all that money. The handsome young men would be beating a path to your door”.

She looked over at her and grinned. “Gwen, you and I both know your father’s ridiculously greedy. He’d be thrilled if you ran off to join the circus if it brought him money. That friend of his must’ve offered him tons of cash”. She paused for a moment to think, twirling a lock of hair around her finger.

“And besides” she said, with a sense of finality “I’d be wary of any man twice my age who wanted to marry me. That’s just creepy. You and I are both going to find perfectly wonderful husbands some day, and then we can sit in our grand houses and laugh at stuff like this”.

Stella winked at Gwen as she walked up the steps to the school. “But speak for yourself on the not rich or handsome thing, that’s at the top of my list” she said, gesturing to the door “Now come on before we get in trouble”.

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#88 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 2:30 PM
Default Gabriel Callahan - bunkhouse, streets, saloon
Gabriel, most would say, was one of those men with whom you could very rarely tell what was going on inside his mind. Seeing everything, commenting on nothing, unless needed. Whatever emotions were residing within him would often remain undisplayed on his features, and the only way of telling if one was safe, or if one was better off fleeing the field, was the slight shift of colors in his eyes. If they were their usual indefinable mix of brown and gray, odds were you could afford to relax, or at least try. But if they had darkened to a near black, you would be wise to back away.
The problem was, Gabriel's presence and persona didn't exactly invite people close enough to actually study his eyes, lest such an attempt in itself would make them darken, and when shielded from the bright sun by the shadow cast by the brim of his hat, any dark color would appear black.
Indeed, if anything, Gabriel Callahan kept people on their toes.

There were of course exceptions, usually caused by a small effort made on his part to either smile at someone - because yes, he did smile occasionally, and it could be a devastatingly charming smile with a full set of white, even teeth - or if someone was being issued a 'final warning'; to smirk. Satisfaction and amusement were two other expressions that would show every once in a while, sometimes he would even laugh, but most of the time, that same inscrutable expression would linger on his features, not showing wether he was in a good mood, or a bad one, if he was interested, or bored out of his wits, if he was tired, or wide awake. For yes, even the lethargy and the sluggish movements of just having woken up were non-existant. The moment his eyes opened, it would seem he had already been awake for hours.

Like now, on this yet another beautiful morning in Morgan's Creek, with Gabriel out of his cot for no more than thirty seconds, going on three hours. Splashing some water on his face and neck by the pitcher and bowl he shared with half of Morgan's other men, whenever he had decided to spend his night there, and not somewhere else, he then turned around as his gaze wandered the crowded space in the bunkhouse. Most of the others were already awake, and beginning to follow Gabriel's example, and so a wake up call was not needed. Therefore, Gabriel simply fastened his gun belt around his narrow hips, slid into his black duster and left the bunkhouse while putting on his hat, set for the Saloon.

It was the place where he started most of his days, either waking up there and staying there to have a breakfast meal, or, like now, waking up in the bunkhouse and going over there to have a breakfast meal. Not that the food was that great that it alone drew him there, but the saloon was a good place if one wanted to keep an ear to the ground, as most of what happened in Morgan's Creek, tended to find it's way into the place, one way or another. Plus the company was usually good.

However, while the saloon might be a good place for finding out what was going on in town, it wasn't the only place. Simply walking the streets could reveal it's fair share, even if it was just a confirmation that things were normal, as seemed to be the case this morning. People were going about their business, running errands and stopping here and there to chat for a bit. The passers-through had started leaving the Inn and heading out of town, the sheriff was doing his morning round, and over by the school the children were starting to trickle into the building. The latter was a scene that earned an extra glance, as Gabriel looked to make sure Morgan's two eldests daughters were among them. Fortunately for them, they were, along with the Owens' girl. Pretty little things, the two young ladies, but still so caught up in their teenage world that the real one still remained for them to discover. But anyway, it was good to see the Morgan girls there, as it meant he would not have to either hunt them down and bring them there, as he'd had to do when like the children they were they'd had found more fun things to fill their day than school work, or simply scare them into going whenever they had gone through short morning phases of defiance.

A few minutes later, he pushed open the saloon doors and entered, finding that as always, despite this being a fairly dead place during the mornings, it was already looking spick and span, and ready for a new day of the usual hustle and bustle. Over by the bar was Felicity, and opposite of her was a woman. Or rather what used to be a woman, judging by the looks of it. Worn boots, worn jacket, and a set of pants. Worn, of course. A woman in men's attire, and a dusty one at that. It was a sight that made Gabriel's eyes linger on her a moment longer than it usually would with newcomers, as women like that usually meant trouble in one way or another, before he reached to touch the brim of his hat at them.

"Ladies", he greeted, not only the two by the bar, but Scarlett as well; the girl secretly reserved for Mr Morgan, and who was just making her way down the stairs.

Passing by behind the stranger, he took a seat at the end of the bar that allowed him a good view of whoever entered the Saloon, as well as what was going on on the street outside. He didn't bother ordering a meal, as his sitting down in the first place pretty much went hand in hand with one.

(((ooc: Approachable.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#89 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 3:22 PM
Default Scarlett and Gabriel - Saloon
Scarlett was a bright girl. She may not have been the sharpest tool in the shed, but she was quite far from being the bluntest. She was quite observant when it came down to it, quite good at coaxing secrets out of people – men, usually – and then quite good at putting it into context. She wasn’t all that good at formulating intricate plans of her own just yet, but then, everyone had to start out somewhere, didn’t they?

Of course, it helped that she looked like butter wouldn’t melt, but then again, she was a bright girl and she knew that she wouldn’t always look that way. Right here and now, it was a bonus, that she was a pretty little thing, and it had helped that from the first moment, the mayor hadn’t been able to keep his eyes off her. But it wouldn’t always be the case, because he had a wife and Scarlett was just a floozy to him, his shameful indulgence. And certainly not is last, nor his first, proved perfectly by Robbie Logan.

But here and now, she was his favourite and with it came preferential treatment in the saloon that Scarlett milked for all it was worth. She didn’t have to do half the things the other girls did, she didn’t have be subjected to the same treatment and it made her feel special. It made it alright that she was being used because it made her feel special, something that in all her life, Scarlett had never had. She wasn’t used to being special, being cared for and it was something she was addicted to now.

One way of Edward Morgan’s methods of making her feel special was to use his henchman to make sure she wasn’t bothered in the saloon. Gabriel, right now walking through the saloon doors as Scarlett made her descent down the stairs in her usual glamorous manner, her grey eyes watching him with a sly smile as he surveyed the area. Now, Gabriel was a blessing and a curse. Scarlett, to be honest, liked it when he was around, because it made her feel protected in an odd sort of way.

His interest was in the other women and he only looked out for her because he was told to, but still, Scarlett had never been looked out for, for whatever reason. He was bad news because he could so easily find out about her and the outlaws. So. There, two reasons to keep him on the sweet side. She walked over to the bar greeting Felicity and the mystery woman – though, her clothes did leave Scarlett wondering what she did for a living – and filled out a pitcher of what Gabriel usually preferred, after signalling to the kitchen to get his usual order.

Carrying it firmly in one hand, her eyes fixated on him as she made her way towards him, around the bar, in that attention inviting saloon girl manner while the smile on her face spoke of nothing except the usual curiosity she had concerning the handsome man before her. Who the hell was he?

“Mornin’,” she greeted, setting the pitcher down on the bar before him before perching herself up over on the edge, feet resting on the seat resting near the side, a playful grin of perfect pearly whites thrown at him, knowing perfectly well that Gabriel wasn't the sort of man to accept gifts and gestures no questions asked. “Don’t worry, it’s on your tab...," she clarified, almost assuring, tilting her head towards him momentarily before withdrawing. "And your breakfast's on its way."

(((OOC: Hope that works for you, Atropa, I couldn't have her get the meal that quick, but if you want, I'll edit )))

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#90 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 6:03 PM
Default Robbie and the rest
(((ooc: BTW, Avara, there's not actually any forrest near the outlaw camp. They're on the plains... See the area map. All the yellowish grass-like stuff is supposed to be prairie/grassy plains. And also, there are more outlaws there than just Dex, Ryder and Robbie... or else they would be a pathetically small gang.
Alissa - It's fine. )))

Much to Robbie's satisfaction, his words to Ryder needed no more than a few moments to work their magic, and have the desired effect: Within two seconds flat, the man was tumbling out of his cot as though Robbie had called out that the cavalry itself was coming towards them across the plains, and scrambled to Robbie's side, his face having lit up with a smile that Robbie had only ever seen him flash at the prospect of being fed.

"You always have had a way with words", he said with a soft chuckle, while shooting Robbie a glance that earned him a satisfied smirk in return.

Being used to constantly getting picked on, whenever someone actually bestowed a bit of acknowledgement on him, the young man made d*mned sure to savor it. One never did know when the next opportunity to do so would roll around. Plus it also taught him what methods were best being used in his various attempts to prove himself worthy of actually, truly riding with the rest of them, as an equal, and not just a cursed cook and errand boy.
However, he didn't get much of a chance to reply, as while it wasn't exactly the cavalry, there was someone coming towards them; Nikita Wellstone, the half-breed seamstress with a bit of medical knowledge, and, judging by the way she and Ryder used to look at one another, a certain...' medical interest' as well.

"I see you are the first to rise, as usual", she greeted Robbie, to which he responded with a slight smile and a shrug, as if to say 'no surprise there'.

Hopefully, the other lazy sluggards would recognize the small compliment as well, and realize it was a warranted one, because Robbie sure didn't try to get them to drag their sorry butts out of bed just for the fun of it.

Though it would seem hoping was a lost cause in Ryder's case, as the simple logic of the woman's statement seemed to be completely wiped from his mind when she continued, going on about herbs and whatnot, finishing by telling him she had brought soup for them. At that Robbie instantly shot the others a pointed look, with a vehement gesture towards Nikita. See! They didn't need him cooking for them when she obviously did! They might just as well stop torturing him with such chores just for the sake of torturing him, and actually let him do something more important!

Sadly, that would was a point that wouldn't get to root itself in their dense minds either, as the attention was soon diverted from Robbie to Ryder, who for some reason seemed positively overjoyed at Nikita's gifts, practically skipping over to her and seizing her hands in his while babbling his overwhelming gratitude like some excited child; something that caused an amused smile in Dex, and a pair of eyebrows raised in disbelief in Robbie.

Was that supposed to be attractive and enticing to a woman? Not that he was an expert on wooing women, as the most he had experienced was stealing a glance of two of the pretty Stella Owens, whom he was sure wouldn't even poke him with a ten foot pole, due to her being so rich and refined, and him being the son of a prostitute, as well as the target of one of Morgan's Creek's few scandals.
Well, he had been around a bunch of half-naked women for most of his first four years in this world, but sadly, he had been far too young to appreciate it, or be able to remember it now. Nevertheless, he was fairly certain that acting like a giddy schoolboy was not what would have a woman falling head over heels in love with you.

"Jesus, Mary and Joseph", he mumbled to himself, as he turned back to the camp fire and the food, having noticed in the corner of his eye how a certain hungry canine apparently had his mind set on one of the buns.

Though before Robbie even had a chance to deal with the situation, Dex marched over with a couple of long strides that would have taken Robbie twice as many, and grabbed the dog by the neck, growling a firm warning to the animal, which left it slinking away towards Nikita with it's tail between it's legs. While it was probably done with the best intentions, Robbie couldn't help but shoot Dex a glare. Because wasn't that just the thing? 'The best of intentions' meant Dex felt obliged to take care of the situation, which in turn meant he didn't trust that Robbie - who had been closer to the dog than Dex, and quite clearly aware of it's intentions - could deal with it. That he couldn't even deal with a darned dog.
Splendid!

"Good thing you stopped him, Dex", he muttered sarcastically. "I don't think I would've known how. Probably would've hurt myself tryin'."

With that, he plopped down on the ground to eat his own breakfast, but ended up throwing his bun at his grinning older brother instead.

"Shut up", he glared, even though James hadn't even said a word.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#91 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 6:46 PM
((Just a side note; remember, Ryder is still somewhat grieving his wife, in his own way; I already told Avara this, but maybe I should say it here too--he kind of has relationship issues, so even though he seems to be throwing himself at Nikita, it's simply his weird brand of excitement to see a close friend and get his medical herbs. (Not that he doesn't care about Nikita! Just not as much as Atropa/Psyche seem to have pointed at; not yet at least). So I just don't want his over-friendliness to women to be taken as him coming on to them--he very much can't imagine being involved with someone just yet, because he's still very bitter about his wife. He simply covers it up with childlike happiness to mask the pain. Anyway! That wasn't completely necessary, but I just felt like you guys were saying he was enamored with Nikita, when really that excitement is just indicative of the sort of person he is. Again, nothing against Nikita! xD
Anywayz! I'll reply to this later, once Avara gets a chance to respond to Dex/Robbie. ))

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#92 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 6:52 PM
(((ooc: trampled - Well, Robbie's 15, with the black/white mentality of a teenage boy, and Nikita is an attractive woman, and so to him, in this particular situation, some measly herbs and a little soup is not what's worth getting that excited about. Plus, it's difficult for anyone to know what's going through Ryder's head, unless he's actually told them. But point taken.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#93 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 7:22 PM
((ooc: Oh, no worries! I understand what you mean; a teenager is less likely to comprehend just what he's thinking, especially if Ryder hasn't openly talked about his wife. So I'm sorry, I hadn't considered that exactly. :/ I just started worrying that I wasn't acting period-appropriate for how men should treat women, and that since he was seen as overly-friendly, it would be interpreted (in that time period) as overly flirtatious instead of friendly. I'm just not sure of what is considered gentlemanly and suggestive in this era... x_x ))

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Ghandi
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#94 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 8:44 PM
(((ooc: Furry - Well, it hasn't yet been 48 hours since your last post, so I really would recommend that you allow her that time to reply, as stated in the rules. Plus, the rules do also mention that this is supposed to be a fairly slow-paced RP, where people should be able to reply without feeling pressured. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Alchemist
#95 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 8:49 PM
((ooc: Uh, yeah, the very reason why I decided to join was that it was supposed to be a slower-paced rp...and I won't be able to post for Lucy today, but nothing big was going on so if Furry wants she can move Felicity))

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Alchemist
#96 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 9:00 PM
((ooc: Not wrong at all, I was just expressing the fact that if you had some sort of interraction planned, I didn't want to keep you waiting, since Felicity could easily excuse herself from Lucy and attend to other customers. But if that isn't the case, I'll have a post tomorrow ))

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 9:00 PM
(((ooc: Yes, I can't stress enough the fact that this is supposed to be for fun and leisure, with as little pressure on the players as possible, and I would truly hate to see people drop out because it turns out not to be.

Furry - Aha, understood. And for the record, I was just clarifying, I wasn't telling you off. It was directed at everyone, though I did a poor job of having it come out that way. My apologies.
Having Felicity react to what's going on, and still leave a window for Ghanima to reply sounds like a good idea, because I totally understand what you mean. I had a hard enough time covering the whole situation in the outlaw camp myself. *lol*
Not sure what you mean about PMs though...? )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#98 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 9:35 PM
((OOC: I'm OCD about keeping a record of every PM I get, which means I have to consolidate them. Is a time consuming process, hence why I haven't replied/edited yet. Nothing to be concerned with. I am now (as in at this point, in this post) start with felicity, then delete the spammage.))

Felicity noticed that one of the last of the girls to wake up today had come downstairs. Not just any of the girls either, but Scarlett. Now, Felicity knew most of her girls very well. She may have been the madam of a much- and accurately- glorified brothel, but she made it a point to know each girl as a person, both because if the girls were happy with her and somewhat content with their lives they would perform better, but also from her usual tendencies to care for people quickly and freely.

Scarlett had turned up six months ago wanting a job, which Felicity willing gave her, seeing as the girl was certainly pretty enough and could dance. The girl had a past that she didn't want to discuss, that had been abundantly clear from the start, but she had done well and now was something of a golden girl... or a mayoral floozy. Since then she had been much more open to Felicity and was one of the few girls that Felicity honestly considered as a friend and equal.

She had arrived downstairs in her full evening wear, a habit that amused Felicity, but didn't bother her, and rather than going to the kitchen to get breakfast she wandered around a bit in the saloon, much to Felicity's private amusement. She was a sweet girl, but sometimes she wasn't sharp enough to get her own breakfast.

Turning back to her guest and conversing for a moment left Felicity taking a swig of her drink, and scanning the room again. Nothing had changed- of course- but for some reason her eyes lingered on the door. She was not disappointed, for it swung open momentarily admitting Gabriel Callahan.

Felicity wasn't quite sure what to think of the mayor's attractive right hand man... On the one hand he was one of her best customers, and none of the girls had ever complained about him, but... something about him gave her small shiveries every time she saw him. The fact that she went so far as to put that feeling into words in her mind caused a tiny smile to make its way onto her lips about the same time as he tipped his hat and greeted "Ladies," seemingly to everyone in the room. He took the seat at the end of the bar, far enough away from Felicity and Lucy to be out of ear shot.

Felicity was about to rummage behind the counter for a pitcher of Gabriel's usual but Scarlett beat her to it, even sending an order down to the kitchen- pancakes. And not the crummy ones most people would get, but the ones reserved for the saloon girls and Felicity herself. One did not give bad food to the mayor or his representative. She gave a brief nod of approval to Scarlett, flashed both of them a sincere smile and went back to Lucy and her drink.

((OOC:I hope that works for everyone involved?))

Test Subject
#99 Old 13th Aug 2008 at 11:48 PM
Default Luke and Constance - The Ranch
((OOC: Soz, been busy! Constance is really pretty starphyre ))

Luke laughed at the boys comments. It was good that they all knew how to make and take a joke as it kept the team happy and a happy team was a hard-working team. He noticed Constance frown at his gun and grimaced. Ever since he had returned, that gun had never left his side. He never knew when he would have to defend himself as even a short journey could be perilous in these parts, as proved by the murder of his brother during a very short trip indeed. He had made it his mission to care for his brothers affairs in his place as a way of making up to him what he failed to do before his death. One day he would find the killer and just before he died he would ask him why, the question that haunted him the most and that nobody could answer. He thought quickly about Constance' question and then shook his head.

''Nothing I can think of, I had Billy take care of the cattle feed and stuff yesterday. Speaking of which, around half our stock should be about ready for the run to market. We'd better check that today and a couple of the calves need branding and that's on top of the usual chores. Thanks for the offer anyway, will you be taking Emmy?''
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#100 Old 14th Aug 2008 at 1:37 AM
Default Gabriel and Scarlett - Saloon
As a man feared and/or respected by most, not only because he was Morgan's right-hand man, but because he was a man to be respected in his own right, there were certain luxuries Gabriel enjoyed. Getting away with murder, literally (although unknown to practically everyone except himself, the mayor and in one case the sheriff), as well as bribery and more or less violent acts of 'persuasion, was one of the more serious ones, but while it did make his life considerably easier not to have a certain sheriff breathing down his neck, but rather looking the other way, it was the daily details that he actually enjoyed. Having the privilege of being served better quality food at the Saloon than the rest of the patrons was one among quite a few, and having the ladies actively search him out and approach him was another. Even if in the case that was sashaying towards him now, the young redheaded Scarlett, it was a lady that was off-limits, even to him. Not that he lusted after her, as even though she was strikingly pretty, she was just that; off-limits, and thus, he didn't desire her. It was as simple as that. But he did still consider her comely exterior a perk, because if he had to play bodyguard, and keep an eye on someone, it might as well be someone who was easy on said eyes.
And it did quite amuse him, the way that even though she too knew she was forbidden to him, and any other man except Mr Morgan, it didn't stop her from flirting, in that usual kittenish way all the girls tended to do, no matter what man they happened to be talkin to. But, since he was not a potential client to her, Gabriel didn't know if in her case it was out of habit, or out of wanting the satisfaction of seeing him yearn for her, in which case she would be disappointed.

"Mornin'", she purred, after retrieving a pitcher of hot coffee for him, knowing that alcohol came only once he was no longer on an empty stomach, and even delivered his unspoken meal order to the kitchen in the back.

Perching herself on the bar next to him, she then shot him a smile similar to the one that had caught her the mayor in the first place, and added;

"Don’t worry, it's on your tab... And your breakfast's on its way."

It was a statement that earned her a brief glance signalling acknowledgement of her words, as well as her deeds, in Gabriel's usual non-expressive way, which Scarlett could probably interpret only because she had been around him enough to learn at least a few of the barely noticable signs he would give.

"Things go alright last night?" he then asked, while pouring himself some coffe. "Anyone need talkin' to?"

Not having set foot in the Saloon the previous night, due to some cattle wandering off and needing to be found and then driven back to the rest of the herd, he wanted to make sure his absence hadn't given anyone ideas. For even though the men in town had learned their lesson by now, there would always be newcomers, and, of course, the occasional townsman with a seemingly really bad memory. So in short, Gabriel was interested in knowing if there had been anyone that desperately longed to form a closer 'acquaintance' with him.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Page 4 of 11