Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 6:50 AM
Default Hair alpha problems (Alt title: Pesky fringe glitch strikes again)
So, I've been making a hair mesh from scratch out of boredom, and while it worked fine ingame, I've been getting this rather pesky and persistent fringe bug, and regardless of how I try to work around it, e.g. exporting mesh from 3DS Max to a different format e.g. Half-Life SMD or Unreal PSK. or using TSRW, I still end up getting the same results ingame:

I managed to fix it with a Kit Kittredge hair mesh last year, but I couldn't seem to remember how I managed to pull it off. I've been figuratively banging my head over this for the past few days, so any help especially from those who are into hair meshing is appreciated.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  newhair.zip (3.19 MB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Project files for the mod, along with the partially-finished package.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 12:11 PM
Sorry for the double-post bump, but here's some more screenshots and a package containing an updated version of the project files:

As of now I still haven't come up with a workaround for this, let alone a definite solution, and no, the group arrangement trick is of no use in my case either, hence why I really, really need your help especially those who are into hair meshes and the like.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  rigged.rar (3.60 MB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 12:14 PM
It looks like you managed to fix the top of the mesh, which is great! I'm not sure what you're seeing on the tips that's not how it's supposed to be - maybe you could circle it, since I'm apparently having an eye-fart?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
It looks like you managed to fix the top of the mesh, which is great! I'm not sure what you're seeing on the tips that's not how it's supposed to be - maybe you could circle it, since I'm apparently having an eye-fart?

For one, it isn't supposed to be having hard fringes especially if the tips intersect each other (the issue with alpha textures and windows is another story - even EA meshes exhibit such issues afaik):

As for the top/scalp, that's because I took out the alpha channel on that part. I could get away with not using an alpha on the tips as well, but that wouldn't be feasible either.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 6:18 PM
Ah, okay, I see now - I'd assumed that was an intentional raggedy bit. You've probably tried this, but does reducing the opacity priority of the undersides help?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Ah, okay, I see now - I'd assumed that was an intentional raggedy bit. You've probably tried this, but does reducing the opacity priority of the undersides help?

Care to expound on that one?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 12:30 PM
Sorry for the bump, but anyone?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 1:00 AM
It looks like a transparency issue, check this thread for fixing it and see if it works. http://modthesims.info/t/414488
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kuroineko05
It looks like a transparency issue, check this thread for fixing it and see if it works. http://modthesims.info/t/414488

Tried that to no avail, mostly as the mesh only consisted of the main wig and a bangs part. Buckley managed to fix it more or less when I chatted with her at one time, but for some reason I couldn't replicate what she did.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 10:15 AM
I checked your mesh and it's missing its undersides, here's my fix with the undersides included, see if it works now.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  hairedit.zip (106.3 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 12:27 PM Last edited by blakegriplingph : 16th Jul 2015 at 12:54 PM.
I checked your mesh and it's missing its undersides, here's my fix with the undersides included, see if it works now.

I added undersides to my hair before as what you can see on the .package and the LOD1_1 project I attached. I wound up with a similar issue when I made a hair mesh for the first time, it's that I kinda' forgot how I worked around the said problem.

EDIT: Looks like your fixed mesh works, then. 'Tis strange, as regardless of how I do the undersides, either by following the tutorial to the T or experimenting a bit with some rather unorthodox methods (e.g. exporting the Max project as an Unreal or Half-Life mesh), I still end up with the wonky fringe glitch. Mind if you share some pointers on what to do with this?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 12:36 PM
Ah, I was looking at just plain LOD1, but perhaps the undersides in LOD1_1 were not properly grouped?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 12:55 PM
Ah, I was looking at just plain LOD1, but perhaps the undersides in LOD1_1 were not properly grouped?

As what I mentioned above, would you care to elaborate on how should I group or do an underside properly?

EDIT: LOD1_1 is actually the composite of the outer shell and the undersides, btw.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 16th Jul 2015 at 2:31 PM
The outer seems to be fine, so I'll elaborate on the under instead. After reversing the faces of the undersides and scaling, you align normals. Move the undersides group above the outer group and then click Sims 2 Unimesh Normal Data Merge and then align normals. Regroup everything. That has worked for me.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Jul 2015 at 2:19 AM
Looks like it works as it should, then. Thanks! <3
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 17th Jul 2015 at 3:35 AM
No problem, glad I could help.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Jul 2015 at 3:52 AM
No problem, glad I could help.