Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:01 AM
Default Lines In Hood?
Hey,

I didn't know where to put this. If its not in the correct please, mods, please move.

Does anyone know why I'm getting these lines in hood view?

Also, any idea how I can get rid of them? I want to take photos of my hoods, and those lines spoil the pic... Do I need to change my game settings?

Thanks for your time and any help you can provide.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by uksims2fan
Hey,

I didn't know where to put this. If its not in the correct please, mods, please move.

Does anyone know why I'm getting these lines in hood view?

Also, any idea how I can get rid of them? I want to take photos of my hoods, and those lines spoil the pic... Do I need to change my game settings?

Thanks for your time and any help you can provide.

Umm, I've never had that issue, but I think it might be your graphics card? Are you on a really slow/old machine? They tend to load TS2 really choppy and slowly.
Instructor
#3 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 1:07 AM
All right, post your specs here. Also, you may want to test with a different camera hack.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 9:33 AM
Ahh. It may be the Camera hack. I remember after insalling the sims2 again I didn't have this problem. Then I wanted to use those Tiny Islands, so I installed Gun Mods Cam.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=97642

I'm using version "A".

Is there another good cam I use use that lets me zoom in pretty well, and also see small Islands? Maybe I could download that and test it out.

Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 12:59 PM Last edited by uksims2fan : 4th Aug 2009 at 1:15 PM.
Just wanted to say, I tried another Cam mod. Not change. So, its not that....

EDIT:
Where on my PC do I find my specs?
Scholar
#6 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 3:42 PM
I don't know if it's different for Vista, but if you use XP, then go to Start - Control Panel - System - General tab. To see what video card you use - Hardware tab - Device manager - Display adapters.
Scholar
#7 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 8:29 PM
I've been having a similar problem for ages, except I get it on thought bubbles and running across the screen horizontaly(how DO you spell that - lately i've been having trouble spelling) and i've never got it in the neighbourhood, only in lots.
I just replaced my graphics card(with the same type-they wouldn't let me upgrade it cause i've a dell) so it hasn't worn out. But I'm convinced my graphics card isn't good enough.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 8:37 PM
Okay, so I think I have this right...

Uesing Windows XP
HP Pavilion
Intel
Pentium CPU 2.80GHz
2.80GHz, 1.00GB of RAM

EDIT:
Video Card? Is it... NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
shiny!
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Aug 2009 at 9:03 PM
Your computer doesn't really meet minimum requirements to run the game and line problems you're experiencing very well may be due to your graphics.

EA lists the 7300 as a supported card. However, there are several cards that fall under the 7300 line (LE, SE, GS GT) and there are substantial enough differences between them. The 7300 LE isn't a fully dedicated card. It's actually most comparable to the minimum supported integrated graphics. Both your CPU and your RAM are way under minimum requirements without a fully dedicated card.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 12:51 AM
Ah okay, thanks for the reply.

Sims2 DOES seem to run okay on my PC. The only prob I get is the lines in hood view on water. Everything else seems to work fine.

Seems like I may need a new Card then, lol. Hmm... I may take a trip to PC World an ask them about it. I had been thinking about getting a new PC, but I want an XP and not Vista... can't seem to buy XP in the shops any more... *sighs*
shiny!
retired moderator
#11 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 1:02 AM
You can get XP online. Have a read through the stickies. There's tons of info there, including what to look for and best places to buy computer stuff in the UK.
Scholar
#12 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 12:55 PM Last edited by Gingerxyz : 5th Aug 2009 at 2:05 PM.
callistra, i'm using xp aswell. My dell description email thing says this,
Base: Intel pentium D 915 Dual core processor
(2.80GHz, 800MHz, 2x2MB)
Memory: 2048MB Dual Chanel DDr2 533Mhz [4x512] memory
Video Card: 256MB nvidia GeForce 7300 turbocache graphics card
Hard Drive: 250GB (7200rpm) serial ATA hard drive with 8MB databurst cache.

The game's running a bit slow lately, as well as the lines. I have all the expansion packs and stuff packs.

jus nou drein jus daun
shiny!
retired moderator
#13 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 5:23 PM
You have the exact same graphics card. Everything I've already said applies to you as well. You're going to need to upgrade that card, and probably your power supply as well. Have a read through the stickies. If you still need more help I need the manufacturer and model of your desktop, your budget and country of purchase.
Scholar
#14 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 10:51 PM
I knew that card wasn't good enough!
My graphics card wore out about two weeks ago and when we were told that we needed a new one I asked the guy in the shop if we could get a better one this time. He said that I couldn't upgrade it without replacing the whole motherboard. So I guess I'll have to buy a new computer.
I read the stickies this afternoon, I live in Ireland, got the computer from Dell, it says Dimension E520 on the case. I'm 15 and my parents have said that they won't buy a new computer because they bought this one because the sims wouldn't run at all on the old one so my budget isn't huge. I'm determined to get a decent computer that will run well, not have trouble with my sims collection and will be possible to upgrade in the future, if I want to.
I already have about €900 saved but I'm still saving and I just want to get a good computer whatever it costs me.

jus nou drein jus daun
shiny!
retired moderator
#15 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 11:21 PM
The computer shop was mistaken. I'm not sure how.. it's fairly straight forward. Anyway, you can upgrade the graphics card on that computer. The computer's showing its age but it's still very much upgradable. If you're not ready to buy a whole new computer then assuming everything else is working as it should, you can make that computer able to handle Sims 3.

It will need a new power supply but the Dell takes a standard ATX and it supports a PCI-E graphics card. That means anything you put into that tower now can always be transferred into a new machine later, when you have more money. Nothing in there would have to be special for the Dell. My only concern would be the airflow. You’re going to want to watch temps if you put a strong card in there, but otherwise there aren’t any limitations or concerns with upgrading the graphics on that computer.

You should check out this site: http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.aspx I don’t know about buying a prebuilt computer but I can help you pick out parts if you’re up for building on your own. €900 should be plenty for a strong computer if you get it yourself. Otherwise this power supply and graphics card would be good choices for the one you have..

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=339898
http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=451175
http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=444954
Scholar
#16 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 12:09 AM
Thats strange, I was very clear that I wanted to upgrade and asked if there was any way at all that I could do so. Initially he said that we could upgrade but then he took a look at it and said there was no space and if we tried to get a better card it work but there was a strong chance that the computer would stop working altogether, and I didn't want that!
We bought it in December 2006.
I would be a bit worried about overheating, as it's a family computer and is on most of the day, at least 10am-midnight every day. It makes a fair bit of noise too.
If I knew what parts to get for a new computer, then what would I do?
And thanks for all the help. Neither of my parents have a clue about computers so I'm on my own!

jus nou drein jus daun
shiny!
retired moderator
#17 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 12:31 AM Last edited by callistra : 6th Aug 2009 at 12:48 AM.
I really don't know what they were talking about. The Dimension E520 should have no problems fitting a card.. it does take two slots though. Do you have something else plugged into the pci slot right next to your graphics card? It looks like the slot right below the pci-e is a little half slot. That won't be able to be used, but there are two other full sized pci slots that it wouldn't affect. There's also no reason a graphics card would kill a computer.. unless that was their way of saying it needed the power supply upgrade. It won't run on the power supply it has. This is what you have, right? http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/prod...nsion_e520.html

The 4770 in particular would be a good card if you're concerned about heat. It runs quite cool, especially considering how powerful it is.

Well, there are lots of guides out there if you're looking to build a computer for the first time. Give me a bit to round up a few.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=240032
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJNp6wdfqI (5 parts, this is the first video)
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_...nstructions.htm (to help with installing thermal grease)
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/144
Scholar
#18 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 11:08 AM Last edited by Gingerxyz : 20th Aug 2009 at 12:01 AM.
That looks exactly the same as mine, and the price seems similar, ours was around €1000 but we got a printer as well.

Sorry about taking so long, I've been thinking about everything and I took a while.
I think I'll try to build my own computer, from the videos on youtube it doesn't seem ridiculously difficult, and I know I'll be able to afford a better computer this way.
I will need help with which parts will work together and things like that.
Thank you so much for all the help so far,

I'm back, and have no idea where to start. Should I continue with this thread, or should I make a new one? For the computer building stuff.

jus nou drein jus daun