Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 3:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, Island Paradise
Default Sims 3 has stopped working + fun bonus issue with CC
I use CCMagic and am on 1.67.
TS3 has never been kind to me. So when 'Sims 3 has stopped working' errors came up out of the blue about a week ago, when the game wasn't slowed or stuttering or anything, I mostly learned to deal with it. I started to save more frequently and stop multitasking. If anything, the crashing became more frequent. The magic number seems to be around 2 sim-hours in game upon loading a save file, but it can be as little as 10-sim minutes. So I ran through the usual solutions when TS3 is acting up- Flushing the collective overload of limes and diplomas the inactives hoard, using MC's Reset Everything function, using Kuree's Save Cleaner. The problem still continued. Then the deleting begins. Caches. DCBackup files (except ccmerged). Screenshots. World Caches. Featured Items. No fix.
So begins the tedious task of removing CC, S3Packs and Mods. Unfortunately, I got about halfway through adding everything back in when I noticed two things- 1, Whenever I let the game run and went off to do something else, it got through 2 sim days like a breeze, and I declared everything fine. However, if I actually tried to play the game- pausing, changing speeds, zooming in and out, directing sims to do things- that's when the error popped up.
The 2nd realization may not be related to the crashing, but might be a problem on its own- I noticed that some of the sims still had their CC hair. The cc hair that was very much sitting prettily in a desktop folder. So I removed everything again- the entire CCMagic folder and the entire Mods folder. Deleted caches and removed .dbc and .ebc files from DCCache (which could be either the problem or the solution). I went into the Stylist function and saw several other CC hairs still in game- but not all CC hairs.
I downloaded Delphy's Dashboard to see if that could clue me in on the problem, and found only that some things conflicted with several copies of a file called ModBuild0 that lives deep in the heart of EA>TS3> Mods>Cache>Sets. It seems to be related to CCMagic, but I can't be sure. Even some of the ModBuild0 packages conflicted with other ModBuild0 packages.

That's when I gave up. Someone please help me find the solution that I couldn't.

System Specs:
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 4:53 PM
CC Magic merges your CC. I haven't actually used it, but I agree that "ModBuild0" sounds like a filename that it would have created for one of the merged files. (Especially if it's not one that you made.) Conflicts don't always mean a problem. It just means that they are sharing a resource. I've still got a ladder in my game made by Huge Lunatic, which was using the script that Inge made for some stairs which I also have. They show as conflicts simply because they use the same script. They work nicely, even in the same lot. Ani's buyable moneybags show as conflicting with each other, for the same reason. It's when you have a mod that affects one thing conflicting with a mod made by someone else that affects something else that weirdness can happen. (Ok, yes. Mods made by the same author can also conflict. But the author usually knows about those conflicts and can tell you about them. If the mod in question is an override, the conflict is even planned.)

Have you moved your entire Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder to the desktop, started the game, and let it generate a new one? Then slowly start moving things from the old folder into the new one. (I'm suspecting that the CC hairs that were turning back up might have been due to them being in the dccache.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 12:47 AM
It's good to know my CC is working properly. Or at least, the "conflicting" pieces are.

I removed my TS3 folder and let the game generate a new one. It was a nightmare. I can't believe I used to play like that. The flashbacks I experienced... anyway, when I added the DCCache back in, some of the content reappeared. All of the pieces of CC that were s3packs, as well what was purchased from the store. It all must be being read from the DCCache folder since the Downloads folder and the CCMagic folders are still empty.

I haven't done anything beyond that, namely since there are a couple things cluttering the old Downloads folder that I'm not sure are supposed to be there (ChallengeData.package, PassportData.package, and some .bin files) Is the DCCache folder where my problem lies, or should I continue dragging the old into the new? (And if the latter, should I bring over the old Downloads files or skip over them?)
Site Helper
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 3:24 AM
Yes, DCCache is where the game actually installs your Sims3packs. They get merged into a single file. Having your sims3pack CC turn up again when you put the DCCache files back in is perfectly normal.

If you can actively play for a while without the problem when only the DCCache is in, the problem lies elsewhere.

The Launcher reads the Downloads folder to find CC to install. Leaving it empty is fine. I have no idea about the ChallengeData, PassportData, MSI.bin, or nav.bin files, but I have them too. I think they may relate to those achievements that I stopped actually bothering with several years ago after I got the hot tub, or to the thing where you can send your sim to someone else's game for a while. I suspect that you can probably skip the Downloads folder, although it would be a good idea to copy the Sims3packs in it to a safe place for long-term storage.

If you were not using CC Magic, I would suggest slowly adding the stuff from the Mods folder next. Since you are, I suppose it would be the CC Magic files, added as slowly as you can. Clear caches after adding new files, and before testing.

If it continues to be fine after a test with you actively playing for a couple of hours, even after you have finished adding all your other CC back in, you can see if the saved games work properly. (Copy them over rather than moving them. No reason to waste having a backup.) Now would also be the time to slowly move Library, Saved Outfits, Saved Sims, Installed Worlds Collections, and Content Patch over. Keep clearing caches and testing.

When the problem starts again, the trouble is with whatever you just moved over. If it doesn't start, enjoy playing. Keep the old folder for a while in case you discover that you needed something that you forgot to move,

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 6:08 PM
After taking way too long, I finally finished moving everything over. Lots of playtesting proved that any of my CC wasn't the problem. I saved the Saves folder for last and only added one save file in, the one I play the most. I got my hopes up and everything, but only two sim-hours in, I get the all-too-familiar Sims 3 Has Stopped Working message and I'm back to where I started.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 6:37 PM
That sounds like your save is borked. You said playtesting doesn't pose a problem.
Have you tried any of your other Saves? Or earlier versions of this save that seems to have the problem? If you have any?
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 5:02 PM
I try to keep my Saves folder tidy, so I don't have very many. The earlier versions of that save that I do have also quit out within the first few sim hours (which definitely didn't use to happen). Playing other save files not related to that one ran fine.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 2:11 AM
Hm. Modbuild0 is the name the sets get that you merged in CCMagic. Each set is a Modbuild in a folder in Mods --> Cache.
It's odd it conflicts with things outside of that folder. That seems like you have doubles. Some packages of the same kind in your Packages folder and some merged with CCMagic in the Cache folder perhaps?
I don't know if that's the problem but you might want to look into the sets your created in CCMagic. And your legacy set there too. If you installed your sims3packs with CCMagic, you don't have to install them with the launcher and then they are not part of DCCache. Is it possible you might have installed some sims3packs twice?

CC made by the same person show up as conflicts in Delphy's Dashboard, that's not a problem. Mods however, a whole other issue.

Don't install store items with CCMagic unless you decrapify them first. And even then, I had issues with some.

Whatever you install with the launcher needs disabling in CCMagic and be put in a separate set. At least that's what I do.

Ok, this might explain your odd conflicts, unfortunately, I'm not sure what else could be the culprit.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jan 2017 at 3:41 PM
Regarding package files being the issue, that's not it. The Sims3packs however, might be. How do you install them with CCMagic? I've tried a couple times before and they never showed up in-game. Is it something other than adding them to the Downloads folder and making sure they're enabled in CCMagic?
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 2:28 AM
No, that's it. You can do it with packages and sims3packs. Drop everything in the Downloads folder, they all show up in the Default set and then you can sort them into sets you create.
How do you launch your game? EA or CCMagic?
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 3:07 PM
The packages always work when I install that, but I don't think I've ever gotten S3packs to work like that.
I always launch with CCMagic.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 11:16 PM
That is rather odd. As far as I remember, that was the original idea of CCMagic, to avoid having to install sims3packs with the EA launcher.

What happens to them? Do they show up in CCMagic at all? Do they get transported to the CCMagic content folder?

What kinds of things are we talking about with your sims3packs?

I realize we are getting somewhat off topic here without actually having solved your original issue with your save. But I am wondering if those things are related.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 4:51 PM Last edited by MistressTiffany : 19th Jan 2017 at 5:29 PM.
They do show up in CCMagic but fail to show up in game. Typical things; ATS3 objects, neighborhoods, a couple hairs, etc.
I appreciate your help either way- it would be nice if I could find out how to get S3Packs to install in CCMagic, whether it's the reason for crashing or not.

Update: I decided to give it a try again and the s3packs showed up fine in game. I must have accidentally disabled them before.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 2:48 AM
Ok, there goes my theory. Although I really had no idea why they would not show up anyway.
Worlds should not be installed with CCMagic. That should not work. What I usually do, I install them with the EA launcher, then after they show up in CCMagic, disable them. Or you can extract them and put the files in the respective folder. There's probably a wiki on how somewhere here.
I had another idea. I had the same issue a week ago and it turned out to be a mod. SimsMX hypochondriac trait was never updated. It was never an issue for me until one sim in my active family got the trait. Weird things started happening and I got the "has stopped working" message. Maybe not this particular one but over at NRAAS, Chain_Reaction also suggested that any outdated mods related to related to traits, buffs, occults and motives could also be at fault.
If you actually have that mod, make sure to remove the trait first from all the sims in town before you remove the mod. Otherwise, things get worse.
The way to do it quickly:
From City Hall or a computer>NRaas>Master Controller>Sim>Advanced>Traits>Change>Trait>Select the Trait and Accept>A list will pop up with all the sims having the trait.
However, if that's not the culprit, maybe some others might be.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Jan 2017 at 11:57 PM
I don't have that mod or any mod that adds traits to the game (other than one that unlocks traits for all ages). If it were a mod, I would think it would affect all save files, new and previous, and not just the one (with its past versions).
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 4:55 AM
Have you tried moving the family that you play that ends up crashing to another world with Porter? Maybe that may help eliminate the borkage.
Other than that, I'm unfortunately out of ideas. Have you tried posting over on NRAAS?
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jan 2017 at 9:22 PM
I haven't tried using Porter, but I have tried moving them via in game options and saving to the library. The problem disappears for a couple weeks but always crops back up. I'll give it a try with Porter.