Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 3:27 PM Last edited by teamgirl97 : 7th Nov 2016 at 6:13 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
What is the correct format for CC?
I accidentally changed what my .package files are "opened with..." to WinRAR and now all of the things in my packages files look like a tiny stack of books rather than a fresh sheet of paper

it still works in my game however, when I try and download something new it says it an unknown format or damaged, (because I changed the format like an idiot by accident)

hopefully this is an easy fix I'm just not very tech savvy to know how to reverse it!

Please help!! I would REAALLLY appreciate it!!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 3:29 PM
also I have windows 10 if that helps
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 7:29 PM
I think you have two choices without getting all fancy with the Windows Registry. One is to uninstall WinRAR at least temporarily, since there can't be a file association to a program that isn't there. The other is to install a program that actually can and is meant to open .package files such as S3PE or NRaas Packer and set the association to that.
http://simlogical.com/s3pe.htm
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Packer

But afraid I don't understand the problem. Why would your browser care which format a file is in when it's being downloaded (that is, downloaded and saved not opened) as long as the file arrives safely? Is this one of those deals where IE or one of the others is trying to be helpful and getting in the way? Firefox lets me download whatever I want or...let's just say if it argues with me about it, chances are it's going to lose such an argument.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 7:34 PM
Unless you use programs like TSRW, S3PE, or any other program that can open a package file, you don't need to associate the files with anything. The game can read them as long as they are package files.

The easiest way to fix it is like ^ says - download S3pe, and if that doesn't fix it automatically, you can manually set the files to be associated with S3pe.

Make sure you do a "save as" when downloading package files that aren't zipped, as they don't like to be opened (they'll usually try to open, but it won't work unless you have a program that can open them).
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 9:16 PM
My files download as WinRAR if they're in a folder, and my packages are inside

Does it give you the option to right click - extract here?
Instructor
#6 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by carysmarie
My files download as WinRAR if they're in a folder, and my packages are inside

Does it give you the option to right click - extract here?

When you download your CCs (Sims3Pack files) and Mods (Package files), they usually in rar or zip format, and your Windows OS will put them in Download folder (located in C:\Users\YourName\Downloads folder)..

If you installed the WinRAR program correctly, it will give you the option the right click to extract them, I personally right click them and extract them in a folder, or separate folders for multiple items, rather than using the option to "extract here" directly.

When they're extracted, they suppose to be in Sims3Pack format for CCs and Package format for Mods files, not in rar format anymore, I think the problem that some users unintentionally associates the package files with WinRAR is because they may be right clicked them and tell Windows OS to open or associate the package files with WinRaR, because by default when installing WinRAR there's no option to associate the package files with WinRAR (see the picture below).

To undo this, so it won't confuse the users next time, you can install S3PE or TSR and associate the package files with them like the others suggested, and then just right click on the package files to associate with one of them, or you can try by uninstalling the WinRAR program first, then restart your computer, and then reinstall WinRAR back and unchecked the CAB, JAR and ISO, if removing and reinstalling your WinRAR doesn't work then it may need some tweaks to your Windows Registry by editing them with regedit from the run (or Cortana) box but not recommended if you're not familiar using the registry editor for Windows.

The thing with using WinRAR to extract compressed files, don't use left click and/or double clicked them, it will show you what's in it in the WinRAR Menu program but won't necessary extract them unless you buy the paid version, to use it as a free version, always right clicked the files you're intend to extract (and always extract them in a folder so it won't mixed up).
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
I think you have two choices without getting all fancy with the Windows Registry. One is to uninstall WinRAR at least temporarily, since there can't be a file association to a program that isn't there. The other is to install a program that actually can and is meant to open .package files such as S3PE or NRaas Packer and set the association to that.
http://simlogical.com/s3pe.htm
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Packer

But afraid I don't understand the problem. Why would your browser care which format a file is in when it's being downloaded (that is, downloaded and saved not opened) as long as the file arrives safely? Is this one of those deals where IE or one of the others is trying to be helpful and getting in the way? Firefox lets me download whatever I want or...let's just say if it argues with me about it, chances are it's going to lose such an argument.

Alright! So, I deleted WinRAR off of my computer and it DID change the files back to normal, however when re-downloading it afterwards they all went back to the books and I use Chrome, the files are perfect while downloading in the little bar at the botttom, but then I have to make sure it goes to the right folder, which it didn't because the cc I was downloading is from a different website and as I said before, I'm not very good with computers, I guess I assumed it needed to go through WinRAR first like things usually do when I download them from MTS. If I download one of the things you mentioned then I won't need WinRAR at all? As in can it be used as a substitute?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 2:48 PM
Would there be any way to keep WinRAR but change my files back? I've gotten so used to it :/
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 2:50 PM
You can usually see which format the file is in when you download.

If the file says "something.package" then you should not try to open it, but put it directly in Downloads (or subfolder) or Mods folder, or wherever package files belongs, depending on the game (it's the same method for all TS2/3/4 package files - but different destinations). With S3PE/S4PE/SimPE installed, the files will associate with the latest installed (or the latest "choose default program"), as the computer does not distinguish between the different package formats.

If the file says "something.rar" or "something.zip" or "something.7zip" or anything else that looks like an archive format, they need to be opened with an unrar/unzip program before you can use them. I prefer to save them to desktop, open the zip, and manually drag the files over to the proper folder, but I know other people like to extract directly.

If the file says "something.sims3pack" or "something.sims2pack" or any of the sort (depending on game, of course), it needs to be installed before it shows ingame. These should be associated either with the various default SimsPack installers that comes with the game, or with a 3rd party program. Can't remember which is the current one for TS3, but you can find links and helpful pointers in the CC guides in the Help section. The 3rd party program will usually after installation associate the files with the proper files (or do a right click and choose the default program).

If the file has any other ending than the ones above, be sure to read properly through the install instructions, as those files tend to go elsewhere. Some files will be a mix, first saved as something, and then zipped up in an archive.

Point is, you shouldn't have to open package files unless you want to edit them. No matter which program they're set to open with, they will work ingame as long as you put them in the correct spot, because the game reads the file ending, and doesn't care which program they're associated with. All my package files are associated with SimPE (the TS2 version), but the TS3/4 package files still work fine. They just won't open automatically in S3PE or S4PE or other programs (I usually open the program and drag in the files anyway).

When you download, it's usually a good idea to choose the "save as" or "save" option, and NOT the "open" option. That way, you don't get annoying surprises when people haven't zipped the files.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 4:17 PM
When windows asks if you would like to associate this type files with this program, always answer NO. That feature is a pain in the butt!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Nov 2016 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by teamgirl97
If I download one of the things you mentioned then I won't need WinRAR at all? As in can it be used as a substitute?
WinRAR is a program that decompresses compressed files. S3PE and Packer are programs that open TS3 package files for editing.

One does not replace the other, I wasn't suggesting that you get rid of WinRAR altogether. i was suggesting that if uninstalling WinRAR and then putting it back didn't help (sorry about that!), that adding in one of the other two programs will give you a different file association to choose from.

But I think I see where the misunderstanding is. You are expecting downloaded files to unRAR themselves and land in what is ultimately their correct location all by themselves. Many of us don't work that way. We prefer that our browsers download (save, not open or run) what we instruct them to. Then we go to that location aside from our browser and, when we feel like it, choose to decompress any that require it and place things like package files in Mods\Packages (or Sims3pack files in Downloads, etc.) by dragging and dropping them there.

When a browser tries to guess or is allowed to do what it wants with downloads, this is where things can break down. They really aren't (the browsers I mean) as intelligent as their creators make them out to be.