Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 7:04 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default Black Tiles appearing under Sim and Pet feet while indoors.
Hello, so I'm running my game on Windows 8. I know there are some problems regarding windows 8 and the sims 2, but I don't know if this counts. Anywho, whenever my sims are indooors, there is a black rectangle at their feet that won't go away. It doesn't seem to affect the game but it bothers me. Does anyone know why this is happening? My game is not running on the integrated graphics (because that would cause game crashes) and I just don't know what the issue is!
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 7:23 PM Last edited by Ghost sdoj : 14th Oct 2013 at 7:26 PM. Reason: oops, wrong game
That sounds like a graphical glitch with shadows. We would need to see system specs to be sure, but even actual cards can be too weak to handle the game easily. (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...lp:System_Specs ) (And please use the template)

Or you can compare your card with http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Recommendations to check for yourself.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 7:26 PM
Those rectangles are supposed to be the shadows, which aren't being displayed properly. This could definitely be caused by an underpowered GPU, like Ghost sdoj suggested. Your specs would help to rule that out. However some people experienced this because of a driver update, even with a powerful enough GPU. Check these threads for more information:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=512787
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=512539

If you don't want to roll back the drivers or this isn't your setup, you could try setting the shadow settings to medium or turning them off in the game.
Site Helper
#4 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 10:22 PM
Here's a thread with a number of suggestions for reducing the strain on your computer:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nboard_Graphics
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 10:58 PM
Okay, thanks guys. I'll check them out and see if they help!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SmexySims2
Okay, thanks guys. I'll check them out and see if they help!

Here are my system specs following that post's insntructions.
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/14/2013, 17:02:59
Machine name: BMO
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 12178MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12178MB RAM
Page File: 5823MB used, 8082MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_181B103C&REV_09
Display Memory: 1664 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: SEC3959
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.987Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 9.17.0010.2817 (English)
Driver Version: 9.17.10.2817
DDI Version: 11
Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: Thread group
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/27/2012 19:32:00, 8281600 bytes

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers and Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E0&SUBSYS_103C181B&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: stwrt64.sys
Driver Version: 6.10.6418.0000 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 7/24/2012 05:59:56, 540160 bytes

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 78.5 GB
Total Space: 686.6 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB

I also did the Everest thing, but I'm not sure if you need that (in case this is info is good enough already).
Let me know!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 1:33 AM
If it's not my graphics card and is a problem with my game/driver incompatibility, I'll just turn shadows off. But if there is a problem with my graphics card, it'd be helpful to know!
Site Helper
#8 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 1:41 AM
You don't actually have a graphics card, which is your problem. You just have a junky graphics chip which borrows processing power from the rest of your system. That article that I linked above explains the problem.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 4:47 AM
Oh. What is the difference between a graphics card and driver? I have an nvidia geforce 650m driver, and I always thought that worked as my g-card.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 5:09 AM
The card or chip is the hardware, the driver is software. If you have a chip, it's just this small thing on your motherboard I believe, usually good for web surfing and light games like solitaire, while a graphics card is a larger piece of hardware which goes in a slot and it's meant for heavier work, like running Sims games.
People do play on chips but often they end up damaging them over time.

See up there where it says
Quote:
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
You have the famous Intel chip which are known to be rubbish and which many people will try to sell you in new laptops claiming they are 'powerful'. Yeah for granny and her knitting group postings. Unless your lap top comes with a slot and many don't you won't be able to upgrade. It's either chuck out and buy a whole new set up or be very careful with your chip by turning down settings, shadows and reflections off and not letting it overheat. If you don't mind wearing it out in 2 years it may be okay if you just turn off shadows. That will at least turn the black rectangle off as that is basically your chip complaining at what you are making it do-render shadows.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#11 Old 15th Oct 2013 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SmexySims2
Oh. What is the difference between a graphics card and driver? I have an nvidia geforce 650m driver, and I always thought that worked as my g-card.

You shouldn't have any nvidia drivers on your computer, if you don't also have the corresponding card. It's possible that you have an integrated graphic chip AND a designated graphic card. If that is the case, you should make sure, that your game is using the card and not the chip, as the chip isn't up to run the game, as jo pointed out.

Here is a thread about how to make sure, that the sims is using the right card: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=481768

First you need to make sure, you actually have switchable graphics, though.
Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 5:45 PM Last edited by melissamckenna : 16th Oct 2013 at 7:37 PM.
I had the same problem it happened when I upgraded my graphics driver Nvidia GeForce GTX 675M version 314.07 to the 327.03, I just did a system restore and the black square was gone.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Oct 2013 at 7:15 PM
Just for the sake of clarity... you didn't upgrade your graphics card - upgrading your graphics card means taking the side off the computer and physically taking out a component and putting a new one in. You upgraded your graphics driver.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#14 Old 20th May 2016 at 9:12 AM
All you need to do is lower your shadows options. I set mine on medium and it fixed it instantly
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 20th May 2016 at 12:36 PM
This thread was getting on for three years old - I think they might have fixed the issue by now.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#16 Old 20th May 2016 at 10:27 PM
More zombies? Deputy Ducan really needs to put them back underground.

Now we have that mod that fixes the shadows so they render properly. It works really well in my game.