Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 7:02 PM
the best format is .dbc it loads the fastest. And I mean seriously FAST
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#77 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Claeric
OH MY GOD MERGE YOUR PACKAGES

Merge them now! Do it!

I merged 455 files down to 45 files(it could be less, but I didn't risk merging hacks, I couldn't merge 6 hairs by HP because they're half-broken and won't load properly in S3PE for merging, and I didn't merge slider mods), and my performance increased significantly.

Like, I didn't realize how much it had DECREASED. But upon doing this it's an insane increase in speed and rendering.

How did you do it? How do you merge the package files?
My game is slow it's nearly unplayable.
I converted everything to .package to try to speed it up - but still...nada...
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#78 Old 18th Sep 2010 at 7:06 AM
D1n3r0 - DBC is the same as package. It's just a combined package, renamed.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 11:55 AM
I would have to say .sims3packs because .package files slows down my game/takes it a long time to load. I tried using The Compressorizor Redux, but it did not make a difference.
Theorist
#80 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 12:58 PM
I hate that launcher!!! You have no way of organizing your CC, it takes a incredible amount of time to load, scrolling thru to look for 1 file to delete because you don't use it anymore is insane. My launcher also never launches the game, which is fine because I use the .exe to start the game anyway. But with every EP, I've had to uninstall/reinstall the the EADM so that the launcher can get the latest patch and as soon as that patch is done, it's borked again. This time I uninstalled/reinstalled the EADM to the latest and greatest and it still wouldn't work. Said it couldn't connect to the EADM. So I had to login to EADM and start the launcher and now the silly thing works... but both take forever and a day to come up. Sigh. I hate that launcher.... have I said that already?

Having said that, I definitely prefer .package files because my game runs a whole lot better. They also install a lot faster. Merge and throw it in your /Mods/Packages folder. Merging takes no time at all.

I do have Sims3packs and they're all EA Store content. All my other 3rd party CC is in .package format. If I've downloaded CC and they're in Sims3pack format, I convert them to .package. At one time - with the release of WA, I converted all EA Store content to .package files and merged them. Once I got them in the game, it took 55 minutes from start to main menu and another 55 min to get from menu to lot. I took that out and reinstalled them in Sims3packs.
Instructor
#82 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:53 PM
Back when I was using an old laptop, the launcher was a PITA to deal with--- slow to load. Since I've gotten a new computer, it has load quickly.

I usually download CC in SimPack format if that's an option. They're easier to delete.

♥ ❤ ❥ Tumblr (which I never update) ♥ ❤ ❥
My Blog
Test Subject
#83 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 5:50 PM
I personaly prefer files in .sims3pack because I have a lot of package files and i get confused. When .sims3pack files are in the game you can delete files who are in "my documents".
Top Secret Researcher
#84 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 8:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nasmi3
I personaly prefer files in .sims3pack because I have a lot of package files and i get confused. When .sims3pack files are in the game you can delete files who are in "my documents".

.sims3pack may give you an illusion that it is easier to manage. But .package file is truly manageable. Who said you are to dump all .package file into 1 huge folders of 1000 files? Of course you wouldn't be able to find anything, that is your fault.

You can create subfolders and categorize them individually, with added pictures and .txt notes + URL. I just had Generations installed and I was able to find and updated all my CC (or remove them if no update was available).

With sims3pack you cannot do that. Yes, you can delete the actual .sims3pack files, but it is only a downloaded copy, after you install them, the content stays inside TS3, deleting .sims3pack will not do anything.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Field Researcher
#85 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 9:05 PM
Packages. So much easier to install and uninstall. Sims 3 packs are a pain.
Alchemist
#86 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 9:06 PM
i prefer .packages, one reason being i dont have to wait for it to install itself, another being that my sims3package files seem to have this quirk where they like to randomly uninstall themselves for no apparent raisin. >8[

the ONLY thing i dont like about package files is how some people name their files like "dkahoadklad" so when it comes time to play the "which mod is screwing everything up" game, it makes it more difficult to tell what exactly that mod is supposed to be and if i should nuke it anyway or not.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Alchemist
#87 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 9:28 PM
All .package files become a .sims3pack when I'm not lazy (Which I mostly am). But even when I'm lazy I'll spend my left over energy on making these make-the-game-slower .package to a not-so-much-making-game-slower .sims3pack.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#88 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zandvoort
All .package files become a .sims3pack when I'm not lazy (Which I mostly am). But even when I'm lazy I'll spend my left over energy on making these make-the-game-slower .package to a not-so-much-making-game-slower .sims3pack.

You know sims3pack are the culprits to bork your game? Said Pescado.

But honestly, I feel they are all the same to TS3. But Sims3pack are way too hard to manage, especially to trace problematic ones. And when you need to check for newest version of a CC, explain to me how you are going to do that?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:36 PM
Package files. I convert all of my Sims3Packs into packages anyway, and merge and compress them.
Instructor
#90 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:39 PM
This is really a foolish question, isn't it?

It's foolish because it implies that there is a choice. If you say, you want package files, it means that you are not going to get anything from the Sims 3 store. If you say you want Sims3packs, it means that you won't get anything from this site. The EA store does not support package files, and Mod the Sims does not support Sims3packs.

So, the question really ought to be: do you get content from the Sims 3 store or from Mod the Sims?

Geez, people! THINK!
Scholar
#91 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 10:52 PM
FYI, you can wrap packages so they're in Sims3pack format or you can unwrap sims3packs so they are in package format. So whichever way you prefer -- there is a choice.

I like packages myself.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Instructor
#92 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 11:20 PM
Package files no question. I still have sim3pack files because a lot of sites use them but given the option I would use exclusivly Package files. Simply put because I can rename them which makes them easier to find and remove or replace. That and I can organize them in files. Sim3pack files just go in there in like no particular order I can uderstand with file names that give no idication as to what they are.
Eminence Grise
#93 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 2:24 AM
Lately, I've been using Granthes's v2 launcher beta, and that's kind of spoiled me... it manages both the same way, so you don't even have to think about it
Field Researcher
#94 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 3:11 AM
I use .package files whenever possible. they never seem to slow down my game. The launcher ABSOLUTELY SUCKS. it takes forever to start up, forever to switch tabs, multiple forevers to install .sims3pack files, and forever to start the game. which it doesn't do anymore for me. The launcher just glitches and crashes so i have to use the .exe. Package files are easy and quick to install, easy to organize, easy to compress, and you can rename them to make it easier on yourself.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Inventor
#95 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 4:23 AM
Packages. I almost always use packages.
Theorist
#96 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 4:59 AM
Packages. I convert everything to packages, yes even lots, except for official EA store stuff.
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 1:30 PM
I prefer .package files as I can organise them and easily delete them. I find the launcher is really slow at loading and installing, doesn't always install items when it says it has and is a pain for trying to find and get rid of a item. With package files its also easy to remove subfolders to the desktop for identyfying problem downloads.
Theorist
#98 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nasmi3

The nice thing about .package files is that you can organize them the way we did it in Sims 2. And my .package files are organized by category/site/artist.

So in my ... /Mods/Packages folder I have the following folders:

Build Mode
Blinds and Curtains
Clothes
Deco Clutter
Deco Paintings
Deco Rugs
Electronics
Hair
Jewelry & Accessories
Lighting
Makeup
Patterns
Room Sets
Shoes
Skins
Vehicles

In each of those folders I have sub foldered them into site/artist

TSR Mutske
MTS HugeLunatic
Awesims SixtyTen

You get the picture I'm sure. I know you can subfolder in those as well if you decide to break it down even more which I do

TSR Mutske Windows and Doors
MTS HugeLunatic Windows and Doors
MTS HugeLunatic Walls
Awesims SixtyTen Cornices

That's the most I've subfoldered. Don't know if you can go another layer. But that's how I'm organizing my .package files which you cannot do with Sims3packs.
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
This is really a foolish question, isn't it?

It's foolish because it implies that there is a choice. If you say, you want package files, it means that you are not going to get anything from the Sims 3 store. If you say you want Sims3packs, it means that you won't get anything from this site. The EA store does not support package files, and Mod the Sims does not support Sims3packs.

So, the question really ought to be: do you get content from the Sims 3 store or from Mod the Sims?

Geez, people! THINK!

Um, all of my Store Content is in package files. So I get content from both.
Page 4 of 4