Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:09 AM
Default Forever bloody famous
Is there any way to disable the Celebrity feature?
Because it's really irritating.
I want to play an average, normal Sim just so he can live out his life. But when I go to make friends... oh no. TOO HARD. Just by interacting with any old townie with celebrity status, he becomes famous.

Can I disable this somehow? I'm dubious about mods, for the simple fact that I don't want to cause my game to seizure and crash. But if mods are the only way I can buy into that.

I think that celebrity status should be like The Sims: Superstar, if anyone remembers that... a magazine would arrive on your porch, and you'd call an agent and THEN have the opportunity to become famous. And obtaining fame was a lot more challenging, and there was actual skill involved. I miss this.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 11:14 AM Last edited by tomomi1922 : 7th Jun 2011 at 12:02 PM.
I notice your post didn't get a reply for a while. Not wanting to make you feel ignored, but I guess most people don't have an answer for you. Since your requirement is no mod, I am not sure what cheat command (built in the game) or interactions to reduce your celebrity status (without lengthy procedures anyway).

- No mod to disable Celebrity, even if you want. I think they are here to stay, or maybe you uninstall Late Night? I am not 100% sure if Celebrity is a Late Night exclusive or patch level feature.

- You can choose to restart that average normal sim of yours. And this time, avoid extensive contact with Celebrity.

- There are ways to lower your status without mod, however I have not explored this so I can't give you a solid answer.

I can feel your predicament, my friend. But I don't have a way to disable Celebrity together, especially without using mod.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 11:44 AM
Twallan's MasterController - a mod - can remove celeb status, you can get it at Nraas Industries (click on the sim -> nraas -> MasterController - > and it's under... Intermediate I think). AFAIK there is no ingame way to do this.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LegendsGuild
But if mods are the only way I can buy into that.

Oh I missed that part there. Like el_flel said, Master Controller is going to solve your problems by letting you lowering your celebrity status to 0 (along with many more other features).

The link is here: http://www.the-isz.com/nraas/index.php?topic=932.0

I know you worry about mods crashing your game. So make sure you check back this site often to get the latest update and be sure to read instructions on how to install it. The creator, Twallan, is good with instructions and update his mods very fast. You should be just fine.

There is still no way to remove "Celebrity" altogether, even if you kill or lower status using mod, TS3 will spawn more celebrities to fill a quota. So just do your best to avoid socializing with them and use MC to fix status if needed.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 10:52 PM
Twallan's Story progression allows you to turn on or off celebrity for individual sims in Sim Options. If they already have stars, you just use MC.

Go suck an elf...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jun 2011 at 8:06 AM
Thanks, guys. I'll look into the Master Controller. Before I download and install it, however, has anyone ever experienced problems with it?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 10:32 AM
Out of curiosity , guys and girls, is there a way to just amke it harder for sims to get celebrity status?

Check out my new blog - I Think My Cat Is An Alien
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 10:39 AM
I've got a mod under my profile that makes it harder for your currently-played sims to gain celeb status.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LegendsGuild
Thanks, guys. I'll look into the Master Controller. Before I download and install it, however, has anyone ever experienced problems with it?

Yes... of course... there are people who experience problems with all mods, mostly because they don't know how to install them, or they misuse them. MC is a big mod, which gives you a LOT of options for micro-managing your sims and your town, and it will let you screw up your game royally if you so choose

But MC is extremely widely used, extremely stable, and updated very frequently. It's also not going to do anything bad to your game just by being installed.

Best way to find out more about it, though, is to read the download thread at Twallan's forum. You can get your questions answered there.

HP's mod is also a help in managing the celebrity thing... and there's another tuning mod here as well which keeps paparazzi under control.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 1:46 PM
In one way, I think the celebrity in sims 3 is a bit more realistic. A lot of people get famous for stupid reasons, like sleeping with celebrities, and not for doing something great. In this game, if you become a rockstar and throw concerts, you do become famous - for your job. You can also get famous if you desperately befriend as many as possible of your famous neighbours. Wannabe-fame exists too, although often fades fast IRL.

What I do not like with this celibrity-thing, though, are a few things. It's that you can become famous insanely fast - which can happen, just look at the scandals in our tabloids - and that it doesn't fade, as far as I've seen at least. It should be possible to be famous at the height of your prime, and die as an anomymous elder, whom kno one really knows who is any more.
I also think it's silly that just talking to celebs make you famous. I'm sure Julia Roberts talk to the cashier at the grocery store she goes to, I'm certain Brad Pitt or Obama for that matter have lots of friends that aren't famous. It's stupid, how talking to/briefly knowing a celebrity makes you famous. The most annoying is when children come home from school having met someone famous, so your child gains one celebrity star.

I also think there should be a grading to the fame system. That it should be valued differently. That wannabes/"celeb stalkers" should not be able to get famous in the same way that a famous actress or politician is. I don't know, I just wish it was more like real life in many detailed aspects, but I guess I am demanding way too much.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson